User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2006 1:49:08 PM EDT
"answered"
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 2:30:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I you're limited to the hicaps you have, it might be better to find/make a magblock for your already shortened sten mags.

That's just my opinion though.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 4:43:30 PM EDT
[#2]
How does your state determine which magazines you owned prior to the ban?

Just asking.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 4:52:04 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
How does your state determine which magazines you owned prior to the ban?

Just asking.

I would guess there is no way to verify which mags were owned prior to the ban.
So long as the mags you own are not marked "LE/Gov Use Only" there is no difference between a mag made in 1990 and one made in 2006.
YMMV.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 5:26:12 PM EDT
[#4]
If theres a fixed number of hi cap mags in your state i would think that any 10+ mags would be like GOLD?  

I would look for some aftermarkt 10 round mags that may fit or the worse modify those 10 rounders and keep you 32 rounds as-is.

or find a taller rest.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 7:48:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If theres a fixed number of hi cap mags in your state i would think that any 10+ mags would be like GOLD?  

I would look for some aftermarkt 10 round mags that may fit or the worse modify those 10 rounders and keep you 32 rounds as-is.

or find a taller rest.

There is no number for the amount of hi-cap magazines in our state. Just the law that we can't purchase, give, or sell to anyone in our state after 2000. The magazines that I have were purchased prior to the ban. I just want to shorten a few of the Colt magazine to make it easier to shoot off the bench. The Sten magazines were 32 rounders that I shortened to 20 rounds and I found the thread here at ar15.com. Just thought someone else has done the same with Colt mags. I like the Colt mags. because they hold the bolt open on the last shot. Others don't. No one makes 10 round Colt mags.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 8:20:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Have some one make you some 10 rd mags and ship them to you.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 8:28:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

+1... and keep the 32 rounders that you have intact.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 4:45:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Since yorue using the colt system,

dont UZI mags hold the bolt open?

if so, there should be some 20 rounders that would be cheaper to cut to 10.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

+1... and keep the 32 rounders that you have intact.

+1
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Since yorue using the colt system,

dont UZI mags hold the bolt open?

if so, there should be some 20 rounders that would be cheaper to cut to 10.

Only Colt magazines will hold the bolt open on the last shot. Other than ProMags which are plastic. I don't want 10 rounders. I want to shorten the 32 rounders that I have to 20 rounders to make it easier to shot off a bench.  And I can't purchase any more hicap magazines.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 6:51:54 PM EDT
[#11]
i'd say go for it. i have never tried it, but start by cutting off a little (like a 28 rd version) and see if you can cut it and bend the new tabs. if it works go all the way for the 20rounder
Link Posted: 8/23/2006 8:18:49 AM EDT
[#12]
I'm in the same boat you're in and I was nervous enough just getting around to slotting some of  my preban Uzi mags to fit my 9mm AR. I bought a load of them for my Group Industries carbine a few years before the ban went into effect. If this project works for you,go for it. Personally if I had factory hicap Colt mags or sten mags I wouldn't think to cut them down for if a mistake is made that you can't rectify, you now have some useless paperweights unless you can legally buy separate mag body replacement parts for repair, if any exist.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top