Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/3/2006 11:17:00 AM EDT
i have been searching through these threads for quite some time now, i want to buy a .22 lr upper for an ar-15. I am going to buy new gun when i get my tax return and when i find a upper, i'll get one. what do you recomend. and do any of them have threaded barrels for a suppressor?
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:42:38 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one from Kuhel, if he is still making them i highly recomend it.  Mine will clover leaf at 50yd with a 6x scope and a bipod.  you can't go wrong with .22lr  fun to shoot.  but most important cheap to shoot.  My barrel is a 20" SS threaded.  i had a few problems at first with FTE, but it turned out to be me using the magazine as a palm rest.  I'm using my upper for service rifle comp training. and using the mag as a palm rest put some side force on it, causing friction with the bolt not allowing the empty case eject properly.  Since i have changed my hold, i've shot around 2000 rds without any problems.  i would pay the extra bucks to have a barrel made, with a modified conversion kit, and something with steal mags too, in case you have a out of battery accident.  that way you dont have to replace a plastic mag.  
     As for a can,  if  you shoot sub sonic with out a can, its quiet.  i imagin with a can it could be stupid quiet.  the only thing i wish mine had was a empty mag bolt catch.  and thats it.  so there's my 2 cents
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:26:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
i have been searching through these threads for quite some time now, i want to buy a .22 lr upper for an ar-15. I am going to buy new gun when i get my tax return and when i find a upper, i'll get one. what do you recomend. and do any of them have threaded barrels for a suppressor?

JP Enterprises .22 Upper: It shoots sweet!

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 2:45:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I am VERY happy with my DPMS M4 .22 upper. Reliable, accurate, and much more affordable than the gunsmith custom uppers. It has the standard AR muzzle threads.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:44:02 AM EDT
[#4]
I would be wary of the newer DPMS AP4 uppers.  I know Snake45 has a really accurate one and so did I untill last month when it had to be sent back to DPMS to be rebarreled. The barrel had come loose yet the barrel nut was on tight. Go Figure.  Anyways, they must have had a batch of sub standard barrels as the replacement I got back wouldn't shoot under 2" at 50yds with a 24x scope on sandbags even with match grade ammo.  So its back at DPMS as we speak.

THat aside, the DPMS AP4 upper funtions well with the occassional FTfire. Fit and finish are excellent and other than the accuracy issue I really love it.

That JP upper sure looks sweet though. I may have to give them a call.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 7:09:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Sorry to hear about your bad barrel. I don't think my DPMS has an especially "good" barrel--I've read many shooting reports from others who routinely get under 1" groups at 50 yards, so I assume this is normal. What's sort of surprising is that the short M4 profile barrel seems capable of accuacy equal to their 20" heavy profile barrels.

I hope DPMS takes care of you. Let us know how this comes out. I've said so many good things about mine that they ought to be paying me commissions by now.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:18:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I just got off the phone with DPMS and they have got it shooting under .5" at 50.  They went through about five barrels before they got a good one.  Anyways, it's on its way back to me and I'll know next week how well it shoots and will let you know.  I must say they did spend a good amount of time accomodating me even if it did take six weeks.  The important thing is they came through.

Thanks DPMS.
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 12:35:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Another vote for Kuehl.  I've been very happy with mine.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top