Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/2/2006 11:54:52 PM EDT
I`ve got a Oly K9GL with a 16' barrel and I`d like to cut it down and was wondering if there was a optimum barrel length for the 9mm bullet?

Does it matter? 10',11' or 12'

Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:16:02 AM EDT
[#1]
My understanding is that a longer barrel will possibly make subsonic ammo supersonic...  due to higher velocities of course.  Most suppressed barrels seem to be in the 5-9" range.  I have a 7.25" ADCO barrel and it's plenty accurate out to 50-75 yards and very quiet with the can on.  If you aren't going to run a suppressor then sure those lengths would be OK.  I like a compact PDW style 9mm AR, but that's just me.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I plan on going 10.5" on mine mostly because I like the look with the front sight tower.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:04:54 PM EDT
[#3]
It really is a personal preference and depends on your application.

I went with 8.5 for a number of reasons.  
It is even with the front of a standard carbine 4 rail, balances very well, and will still be under 16” with a suppressor (depending on model).  On the other hand I paid to have it short I wanted to go as short as possible but keep it useful without a suppressor.  
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top