Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/1/2006 4:03:03 PM EDT
I am busy completing my third 5.56 AR, but the 9mm looks interesting.  Is this a serious rifle when done right?  Is it for play, or would  you trust your life to one?  Are there any tactical advantages left to the 9mm AR?

-  Is it reliable and durable?

-  Can most conversions feed +P hollowpoint, or is this a FMJ proposition?

-  Corbon +P+ OK?

-  RRA lowers use modified Uzi mags.  How does that system work, or is there a better one?

-  What other considerations are there before jumping into this mess?

I'm curious and could "jump", but wonder if I should waste the time.  Can always do a 4th 5.56 gun instead of a 9mm.  Thanks,

Jeff
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:19:12 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Is this a serious rifle when done right?

I think so.  

Is it for play, or would  you trust your life to one?

Both.

Are there any tactical advantages left to the 9mm AR?

The biggest advantage I have found is the ability to shoot at ranges that are not designed for centerfire rifle.  Manual of arms is the same as a standard caliber AR.

-  Is it reliable and durable?

Outside of a mistake the builder made (me) it has been 100%

-  Can most conversions feed +P hollowpoint, or is this a FMJ proposition?

My RRA upper has issues feeding Speed GD due to the profile of the round.  Fed HS has no issues feeding reliably.  There are folks that can work the feed ramp on the mag block to get JHP to feed reliably.  M60Joe, IIRC.

-  Corbon +P+ OK?

Are you asking if the +P+ is OK?  I routinely run NATO 9mm through mine with zero issues.

-  RRA lowers use modified Uzi mags.  How does that system work, or is there a better one?

The block installs from the top and the Uzi mags are notched to work with the AR mag catch.  I like this set up, as the manual of arms is identical to standard ARs with zero risk of dropping the mag and block using the AR mag catch associated with other systems.  The drawback is no BHO after last shot.  The biggest issue is making sure the mags are notched in the right place.  All of mine have been done properly.  They were sourced from RRA direct or ADCO.

-  What other considerations are there before jumping into this mess?

Thread pitch or three lug for a suppressor.

I'm curious and could "jump", but wonder if I should waste the time.

I couldn't see ever parting with my 9mm AR and I am seriously considering another one.  
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 6:12:25 PM EDT
[#2]
i don't own a 9mm ar, but i have a .40SW one.  I have it mainly for the fact I can shoot it at indoor ranges or ranges that won't allow the .223 ammo.  I can still shoot an AR15 and practice whatever i need to practice shooting.

it has been 100% relable and i would trust my life on it.  My unit is a 10.5" barrel with a 5.5" flash hider.  I'm not sure what the effective range is, but it would probally be 100m or so.  If i could convert it to a shorter barrel etc, then it's usefulness is great, but the way it is now, i see no advantage of it in a combat situation compared to my .223.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:00:22 PM EDT
[#3]
IMO the best way to go is SBR for a 9mm setup!  I have the bottom loading new RRA mag block and it stays in place just fine.  It has a tension screw in the bottom you snug up to keep it in place.  I have not tried hollowpoints yet...  No function issues with the upper yet, even with UZI magazines I modified myself.  I do need a new spring for one of my mags however.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 7:31:17 PM EDT
[#4]
What you think nobody has been killed buy a 9mm. If it is good for the Germans it is good for U. Some people think the 5.56 is not good enough for killing. They are fun and they will KILLLL. I can hit target at 100 all day long the size of golf balls.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 9:17:18 PM EDT
[#5]
A 9mm AR with a suppressor is an absolute hoot.  Its hard hitting and very quiet.  What more could you want?
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 1:52:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I am busy completing my third 5.56 AR, but the 9mm looks interesting.  Is this a serious rifle when done right?  Is it for play, or would  you trust your life to one?  Are there any tactical advantages left to the 9mm AR?

I see my 9mm as purely a "plaything" and "toy."  With 5.56 ARs lying around, I see no reason to grab the 9mm.  Although I havent had a FTF or FTE yet, I wouldn't trust it.   If it was an all-original full-auto Colt, I'm sure it could get any job done within 100 yards... but it is a semi-auto franken-AR in reality.  

-  Is it reliable and durable?  Depends on what parts you put into it.  Cheapo parts = cheapo performance.

-  Can most conversions feed +P hollowpoint, or is this a FMJ proposition? Same as the answer above.  From what I've read, the folks spooning the dough for the expensive parts are having the best results.  I concur with my experience with my new 9mm carbine.

-  Corbon +P+ OK?   Not my department.

-  RRA lowers use modified Uzi mags.  How does that system work, or is there a better one?  The mag block you use dictates what mags you can use.  Check the tacked FAQ for the differences.  I use the Hahn top-loading dedicated mag block and love it.

-  What other considerations are there before jumping into this mess?  Don't go cheap.  Being stingy means you will pay for it in the future.

I'm curious and could "jump", but wonder if I should waste the time.  Can always do a 4th 5.56 gun instead of a 9mm.  Thanks,

I highly suggest you build a 9mm AR.  Cheap to feed, fun as all get-out, and something "new!"   I am having a blast with mine.  

Jeff

- BG
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 5:10:39 PM EDT
[#7]
my complete 9mm works flawlessly and i would pick it up in a heartbeat if i had to.

colt 6450
colt mags
Link Posted: 4/2/2006 6:34:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:11:21 AM EDT
[#9]
funnest rifle but worst when it comes to cleaning.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:52:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Aye.  I hate those little green blobs from firing WWB 9mm.

- BG
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 7:21:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Serious? Yes. I use my 9 for a range gun and has been extremely reliable. If pressed I would use it for self defense. My 1st choice is 5.56 though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 10:01:16 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

never seen green blobs only yellow
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 11:51:21 AM EDT
[#13]
I am going total 9mm Ar15's myself. I just enjoy shooting them more mainly do to less noise and cheaper ammo. I find my 9mms to be relaible as my 223's. I do use good to the best parts when makeing my rifles which I would also do with a 223 ar when building.  A good hollow point 9mm Rd is more than enough to put a attacker down with a well placed shot to 100yards or alittle more. Now days every seems to think a 223 isn't enough power so I doubt some people would even be happy with a 223 or 9mm rifle. That makes me laugh if a good bullet design is used with a well placed shot you are dead fast with both of these rds. Now shooting someone in the foot with a FMJ might not work that well as far as stopping power.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 1:57:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

- BG

never seen green blobs only yellow

Just looked at a dirty lower... yep, more yellowish.  They taste like lime, though.  
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Is this a serious rifle when done right?  

You tell me?

Is it for play, or would  you trust your life to one?

I use mine mostly for training and "play", but yes I'd trust my life to it if TSHTF.

Tactical advantages? 9mm is more easily and more effectively suppressed than .223.

Practical advantages are several, with the ability to shoot at indoor (handgun-only) ranges and cheap ammo (also easier to handload) being foremost among them.

Is it reliable and durable?

As with .223 ARs, if built right, yes. Cut corners and results may be "less than optimal". The mags and mag block seem to be the wildcards with the 9mm systems.

Can most conversions feed +P hollowpoint, or is this a FMJ proposition?

My 9mm SBR eats the sh*t out of 124+P Gold Dot, and most anything else I feed it.

RRA lowers use modified Uzi mags.  How does that system work, or is there a better one?

Ditch the UZI mags and shell out for some genuine Colt SMG mags.

I'm curious and could "jump", but wonder if I should waste the time.  Can always do a 4th 5.56 gun instead of a 9mm.  

What do you expect a 9mm AR to do for you?  If you think it will do that, go for it. If not, stick with 5.56. I built mine to have a carbine that's easy to suppress, inexpensive to shoot, able to be shot at the local indoor range during the "off season", and having the same manual of arms as my 5.56 ARs.  The 9mm AR delivers in all those areas, in spades. A .22LR AR would meet these criteria too, but the recoil of the 9mm is more like that of the 5.56, which enhances the training value. Plus, I'd be OK with grabbing the 9mm in a defensive situation. A .22, not so much.

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:37:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks for the input guys.  I'd do the 9mm mainly for less expensive practice and a bit less noise at the range.  The set-up would have to be reliable, done first class, or I'd not bother.  It sounds like Colt mags are the way to go and that they would work fine with the 9mm RRA lower.  I wasn't sure if really hot 9mm ammo is OK for these guns...sounds like it is.  Plus, I am already set up to reload for the 9mm and reloading for that cartridge is much easier, in my opinion, than for 5.56mm.

My plan is probably to get a RRA 9mm marked stripped lower now, and then build from that.  Maybe just add a RRA 9mm upper when funds permit.  I'll be hanging here some to see what I can learn from you guys.

Jeff
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 4:57:09 AM EDT
[#17]

It sounds like Colt mags are the way to go and that they would work fine with the 9mm RRA lower.

The new pro-mags work great in the three RRA setups I've seen (mine and two friends).  And their only $12.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:20:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Sayuncle, where are you getting Promags for $12.00?
Thanks, Fish.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 5:54:27 AM EDT
[#19]
One thing I like about the 9mm AR is that it shares ammo with 9mm handguns.  I shoot Bowling Pin and IPSC matches with a Glock 17.  So I have plenty of 9mm ammo and components.  In a SHTF situation I'd rather have an extra 2-3k of carbine/pistol ammo than strictly pistol ammo.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:00:53 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Tactical advantages? 9mm is more easily and more effectively suppressed than .223.

I'd say that's the only one.  At any range that 9mm would be effective, .223 would be more effective.  Plus .223 would defeat a vest, which 9mm won't.  And the .223 is less dangerous after penetrating walls.  If I had both available, I'd pick up the .223 for "serious" use.  But if I only had the 9mm I wouldn't be worried.
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 7:05:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:30:39 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Sayuncle, where are you getting Promags for $12.00?
Thanks, Fish.

Natchezss.com
Link Posted: 4/6/2006 8:49:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Most important of all, There is now a Mag Lula for the Colt AR in 9mm
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top