BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 10:55:25 AM EDT
Has anyone got one of these?
How does it shoot?

I'm looking at 22lr uppers, and the ability to shoot 17 hm2 would be a cool bonus.

www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR057-19765-1884.html
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:01:24 AM EDT
[#1]
My son has the Army M261 conversion kit in his CAR. It runs pretty good as long as the mags are kept clean and runs best on Winchester Dynapoint .22’s. With the 1/9 twist 16” light weight barrel it averages 1” groups at 25m. Good enough for plinking!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:38:01 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Has anyone got one of these?
How does it shoot?

I'm looking at 22lr uppers, and the ability to shoot 17 hm2 would be a cool bonus.

www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR057-19765-1884.html

Isn't that one an Olymic Arms product?  I swear I saw it on their website last month.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:35:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, Oly makes the one with the sleeves.

www.olyarms.com/?page=m1_2217partner
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:08:59 PM EDT
[#4]
DAMN THAT OLY ONE IS EXPENSIVE!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:18:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I've owned several of the Atchisson .22lr units over the years, and have seen several more at the range, and have talked to quite a few guys on the Net about them. Some of them need a bit of smithing to make them reliable, but it's pretty simple stuff.  They seem to uniformly group 2-3" at 50 yds.  The dedicated 22lr uppers are about 1" at  50 yds, and except for indoor practice by a HighPower competitor, are not worth the extra $400.  For the survivalist, having the option of firing subsonic 22lr's with a 20 second caliber swap (using a 1 lb kit that carries easily in your thigh pocket) is a very valuable asset.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:28:28 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the DPMS complete upper that I run on my Colts and have been very happy with it.  I wouldn't bother with any drop-in kits.  The complete dedicated upper is the way to go.  I generally can't stand DPMS but I think they got this one right.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 1:47:38 PM EDT
[#7]
And you make this claim based upon what criteria? The drop in units work just fine for realistic combat practice, on 10" circles to 75 yds, or erect torsos to 100 yds.  Since that covers about 90% of the realistic rifle combat ranges, why not save 15-20c per shot and do most such practicing with the 22 unit?  We've all taken tons of small game and birds when we and our guns weren't capable of reliable hits on 1" marks at  25 yds, so we know that 1" groups from the drop in kits, at  25 yds, suffices for small game hunting.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:38:54 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
And you make this claim based upon what criteria? The drop in units work just fine for realistic combat practice, on 10" circles to 75 yds, or erect torsos to 100 yds.  Since that covers about 90% of the realistic rifle combat ranges, why not save 15-20c per shot and do most such practicing with the 22 unit?  We've all taken tons of small game and birds when we and our guns weren't capable of reliable hits on 1" marks at  25 yds, so we know that 1" groups from the drop in kits, at  25 yds, suffices for small game hunting.

I dislike the drop in kits because they are a pain in the ass to change out as compared to the complete upper.  Also, why have "accurate enough" when you can have actual accuracy.  What is the advantage of the drop-in other than cost?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I dislike the drop in kits because they are a pain in the ass to change out as compared to the complete upper.  Also, why have "accurate enough" when you can have actual accuracy.  What is the advantage of the drop-in other than cost?

How much of a pain in the ass is popping the take down pin, pulling the conversion out and swapping it with the original bolt and carrier?  

And for some folks on a limited budget, the cost savings of a kit verses a complete upper is a VERY big advantage!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 5:19:58 PM EDT
[#10]
There's the advantage of practicing with your actual fighting sights, which should of  course be luminous, another $100 saved as vs the .22 upper. ditto if you use an optical sight.  You must not use an upper with a Ciener .22 unit as its guts, because it's WORSE to change out than the .22 unit in a 223 upper.  I have a Kuehl Precision upper, and it requires that the 22 unit's recoil spring be "loose", instead of held captive like it is on the 22 unit, when using the chamber insert and the 223 barrel.

I already said what the main advantage is.  You don't have to lug around a bulky, 4 lb upper in order to have the option of either the 223 or the .22lr. All you have to have is the 22 unit and a magazine, wrapped in a gun cleaning cloth, in the thigh pocket of your pants.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top