BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/19/2006 8:55:34 PM EDT
Anyone make one?
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 9:22:58 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's a colt style i'd think the bolt would be too wide for the mag feed lips.. an Oly might work though.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:09:43 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If it's a colt style i'd think the bolt would be too wide for the mag feed lips.. an Oly might work though.

Maybe I am missing somthing here....
I was unaware that Colt made a 45 acp AR bolt let alone upper.?.?.?
I thought Oly was the only 45 AR game in town.

I know there are others making pats, Cav arms, Hahn etc, but not uppers.

Anyway, the question still stands... Does anyone make a 1911 style drop in mag block conversion? Or will I have to have one made?

CH
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:02:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Now that I think about it isnt the Oly sat up for GG mags, double stack double feed. i'd think the bolt would be to wide... someone w/ a Oly .45 bolt could chime in and answer

as to the colt style...i had a brain fart...
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:28:30 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Now that I think about it isnt the Oly sat up for GG mags, double stack double feed. i'd think the bolt would be to wide... someone w/ a Oly .45 bolt could chime in and answer

The oly set up is set for a GG mag. I have a friend that has one.
Looking to use 1911 mags instead.
CH
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 3:58:27 PM EDT
[#5]
find some of those less then perfect usa mags and fit the 1911 mags to your specs.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:17:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Oly's are single feed. Original is Uzi 45 mag, with grease gun mags an option. Both double stack/single feed. Not sure if the feedlips of a 1911 mag is open enough.

I doubt anyone makes one either way, very little demand in an 8 round rifle I'd think. :)
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 4:44:49 PM EDT
[#7]
I have no idea about their quality, but Promag is making a 45 round .45 drum for Gov't model pistols.

I have decided not to be the first on my block to get one.  

It would look mildly strange descending from the mag well of an AR15, but I have seen stranger things.

I do have an 11 round MecGar which works well with hardball.  JHPs are hopeless, however.

It is not an easy thing to increase the magazine capacity.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 6:50:32 PM EDT
[#8]
The GG mags that can be used with the Oly uppers are highly modified. The reinforcing plate around the top is removed or shortened, the mag is squeezed in a vice and the followers are narrowed somewhat for reliable feeding. Also a block is welded to the back of the mag so the original AR mag release can be used. This eliminates the possibility of using a mag loader. I have never been able to load 30 rounds in a GG mag without a mag loader.

I would think the feed lips on a 1911 mag are close to the same spread as a GG mag. They feed the same round. It would logical to conclude that the feed lip opening is near the same size.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:07:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I stand corrected. I just measured GG mag and a 1911 mag.

GG mag front .456, rear .400

1911 mag front .413, rear .344

The 1911 mag front is hard to determine exactly as it opens up at an angle rapidly. Depending where on the angled opening you measure, affects the accurate measurement, but it is definitely narrower than a GG mag front opening. Should be too hard to open up the feed lips.

The GG mag end flush at the opening and has a definite edge to get a reading on.

Disregard the gratuitous groin shot.

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:16:42 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oly's are single feed. Original is Uzi 45 mag, with grease gun mags an option. Both double stack/single feed. Not sure if the feedlips of a 1911 mag is open enough.

I doubt anyone makes one either way, very little demand in an 8 round rifle I'd think. :)

Oh yee of little imagination...behold
40 round drums!
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have no idea about their quality, but Promag is making a 45 round .45 drum for Gov't model pistols.

I have decided not to be the first on my block to get one.  

It would look mildly strange descending from the mag well of an AR15, but I have seen stranger things.

I do have an 11 round MecGar which works well with hardball.  JHPs are hopeless, however.

It is not an easy thing to increase the magazine capacity.

They are building one for the 10/22 and i hanlded one over the weekend. You will be surprised when you get your hands on one. Pretty damm sold.

As a matter of fact I run their 9mm AR mags and have ZERO issies in a few thousand rounds.

CH
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 4:40:34 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The GG mags that can be used with the Oly uppers are highly modified. The reinforcing plate around the top is removed or shortened, the mag is squeezed in a vice and the followers are narrowed somewhat for reliable feeding.

AFAIK, using the Cav Arms lower with the Hahn block, the GG mags are unmodified.

As for the promag drum, who knows. The 9mm Colt mags had some issues at first, so we'll see.

I'll be getting one of the 10/22 drums probably. :)
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top