Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/8/2006 11:06:33 AM EDT
I have a pre-ban Colt Sporter II Carbine, just sent the lower to CLE for the following .22 LR conversion:

flat top upper w/ forward mounted scope mount
benchrest adapter
Kreiger varmint profile barrel cut to 18"
CLE trigger

Yes, it is costing some money, but I wanted the very best chance at shooting small groups at 50 yds.  I'm shooting rimfire (and air rifle) almost exclusively now, and hope it might shoot well enough to have fun (don't expect to be anywhere near the top) at our local rimfire bench shoots.  

I expect it'll have no problem making the 7.5 lb. sporter class weight.  I don't expect it to shoot as well as my heavy BR by a long shot, but am hoping it'll come close to my current sporter (CZ 452 America).

Any chance of this happening?  I'll sure have fun with it regardless, but more so if it can turn out to be a real shooter.  Both my rimfire BR rifles like Wolf ME just by chance, but I've got a large variety of match ammo to try.

Anyone have a similar setup that can provide realistic expectations?  Thanks,

John F
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 1:32:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I got the match trigger modification and and a bunch of match parts from CLE and the work was first class and they are super nice people to work with. I couldn't afford the complete build so I had to buy the parts piece by piece and build my own. My rifle is built as a match service rifle. I needed a good practice rifle that had the same weight, feel and accuracy as my regular match rifle. Expect the CLE 22lr upper to be really accurate -- it will be!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:04:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a CLE .22 Service Rifle upper with a Krieger barrel and the thing is a hammer!

CLE is top shelf and they are wonderful people to deal with.  If you buy CLE, you won't be dissappointed.

Compass Lake Rocks!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 4:06:06 AM EDT
[#3]
I have NEVER heard ANYONE say a negative word about Frank's work.  Ever.

Nothing but praise.

TXL
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:47:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Shot a friends svc rifle upper...one hole groups at 25yds off the bench w/irons (no wind) using Ely Club Match.  IIRC the rounds seated deeply into the lands/grooves so unfired rounds needed a little extra help to come out. Hardly a prob for that type of performance!
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 5:54:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I built my SPR clone with an 18" CL barrel on it.  1/2 inch groups at 100 meters.  I wouldn't hesistate to buy from them again.
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 7:32:46 AM EDT
[#6]
I sent the lower to Frank a few days ago (doing the CLE trigger).  He had to order the Krieger barrel as he didn't have one in 'varmint' taper, but he'll have it in a day or two from Krieger.

After more searching, it is kind of amazing that I've not come across ONE negative comment about CLE's work.

Barrel length - I'm leaning to about 20".  What do you think?
Thanks for all your comments,

John F
LV, NV
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top