Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/23/2006 8:02:55 PM EDT
Hi All.

Anyone had any experiences with this upper?  I'm considering buying this and would like to hear any good or bad experiences.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 3:01:41 AM EDT
[#1]
I have one.  Very well built.  It is in the M4 config.  I get a few FTFs that I blame on the mags.  It doesn't group well or at least not what I'd hoped for.  At 50 yrds the pattern ranges from about 1-4".  I have been playing around with different ammo.  It shoots it all bu I think I've had the best luck with remington high velocity.  I really havent sat down for a day of shooting to challenge the rifle or myself.  

Actually, recently  I had two rounds that didn't go bang.  The rim was hit as hard as any other and the strike indent was clear, but no bang.  Again not the upper.  

One thing I'll say is that it is heavy!  

Oh yea, if you get a bunch of extra mags, they will all probably need to be mooded for proper operatoin.  Just easy bending and filing of the lips.  

Finally, Rick has been accessable and very professional.  I don't claim to know him but he seems friendly enough and answered all of my emails.  Yea I'd buy another.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:03:19 AM EDT
[#2]
I've had a Kuehl M4 type upper for a few years now.  Not too long ago, I purchased 3-9X32 Scope to see how well it would shoot.  I had always thought it was pretty accurate, but when I shot it trying to get some serious groups I was disappointed (similar results as described by rocketman223).  For me, it is no better than using my Ciener adapter with a 5.56mm barrel (1 in 12 twist).

I think the reason for the lack of impressive and consistent groups may be due to the seemingly larger chamber.  Even when it was new, I could not shoot Remington brand .22s as the "blow-by" was a regular problem (every few rounds).  In the beginning I did not think this was as issue as I like to shoot the CCI brand.  But, 6 thousand rounds later (give or take), I get "blow-by" occasionally with CCI brand ammo.  I never experience this problem with my Ciener chamber adapter.  The chamber diameter is noticeably smaller on the Ciener adapter when compared to the Kuehl upper.  

The Kuehl upper is a quality piece and I've enjoyed shooting it.  Except for the "blow-by" issue, it is a very reliable package.  In addition, Rick is great to deal with.  

Dan
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 7:09:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Kuehl makes outstanding .22LR dedicated uppers.  I have one and it runs like a top.  Just do yourself a favor and get a Lakeside recoil spring for your ciener kit that will come with your upper.  The ciener springs are weak and will cause malfuntions if not replaced with the lakeside recoil spring.

Link Posted: 2/24/2006 9:27:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have one of Ricks uppers, but I have dealt with him.  Like everyone else, my experience was great.  He responed to e-mails timely, answered my questions, and shipped promptly.  I'd have no hesitation to deal with or buy from him again.

Brad
Link Posted: 2/24/2006 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Hey thanks guys for the info and appreciate all the feedback.  Rick does a great job returning emails with substantial detail too boot.  Thanks again and happy shooting!

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 10:53:06 AM EDT
[#6]
i've got a kuhel 20" barrel that holds a 1/2" at 50yds with open sights.  i'm using it for EIC training, other than that ceiner mag's are junk, it works great
Link Posted: 2/25/2006 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a Kuehl M4 upper and it has been great since day one. I have never had a problem out of it and it my most used firearm period. I have a AAC Pilot supperssor attatched and it is also super quiet. It will hold half inch groups at 50 yards all day long using Winchester Dynapoints. As a matter of fact, it has shot 6 types of 22 ammo and has never malfuntioned other than a spent shell from Remmington Sub Sonic ammo that failed to fully eject. They are fine weapons worth the money spent.

Link Posted: 2/25/2006 7:39:45 PM EDT
[#8]
usncorpsman1, thanks for sharing your thoughts and pic with me.  

BTW, how do you like the AAC Pilot suppressor?  Have been considering a accessory such as yours for my original upper such as the Gen_Tech Halo or G5.  Might even consider one for the new 22LR upper as well ....
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 10:52:26 AM EDT
[#9]
The AAC Pilot is great. I love it. The Pilot with Winchester Dynapoints or Remmington SS ammo is nice and quiet. All you hear is the action cycling and the round hitting down range. As a matter of fact, I bought it for my Walther P22 and got tired of swapping between the two, so I ordered another just for the Kuehl upper. They are a great suppressor.
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 4:18:46 PM EDT
[#10]
This is a great forum to get info - thanks!
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 1:16:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Where did you get the large capicity mags.. and will they work in a v22 upper????
Thanks Rob
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:12:10 AM EDT
[#12]
So how much does a kuehl setup cost?  You have to buy the upper and the cenier kit right?  So, I guess about $600?  Or does the upper come with the conversion kit?
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:19:52 AM EDT
[#13]
Kuehl precision firearms prices

Upper = $445

Ciener kit from Brownells

Ciener kit = $114.67 (with the discount - note: you have to have an account with Brownells with a professional discount to get that price)

Total $559.67 (plus shipping)
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 1:42:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Damn looking at usncorpsman1 gun is making want to build one like it. Time to buy a lower.
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 3:33:28 PM EDT
[#15]
yeah the kuhel hurts, but rocks, less to worry about with out of battery discharg with a steel mag
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 12:30:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I have a Kuehl upper. I have had no problems with it. Sometimes have trouble with mags feeding properly though. I  would buy it again.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:16:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Im having trouble deciding on what barrel length to get.  I see a couple of you have the 14.5"barrel do you get that "ballistic crack" Im told you get with the longer barrels.?  When i spoke to rick he stated that anything over 5" will give that  crack.  Im going to use it on my rr and with limited suppressor use, as i dont have a can rated for full auto.  I need some help deciding if i should get the standard lenght, or a 8" or 10".  Thanks .  Dont mean to hijack the thread.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:58:36 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Im having trouble deciding on what barrel length to get.  I see a couple of you have the 14.5"barrel do you get that "ballistic crack" Im told you get with the longer barrels.?  When i spoke to rick he stated that anything over 5" will give that  crack.  Im going to use it on my rr and with limited suppressor use, as i dont have a can rated for full auto.  I need some help deciding if i should get the standard lenght, or a 8" or 10".  Thanks .  Dont mean to hijack the thread.

The Kuehl M-4 upper (see pic below) appears to have a 14.5 inch barrel, but it is actually 16.1 inches in length.  I like the longer length so I can use it on non-NFA lowers.  If you're only going to have one upper, I'd get the M-4 upper for greater versatility.   I use CCI Standard Velocity and it always stays subsonic.  Winchester Dynapoint also stays subsonic, but in warmer temperatures (like 60 degrees or warmer).  To see a video of it, click HERE

If you are going with a shorter length barrel, contact SARCO and purchase their "barrel extensions" for around $12.50 each.  These are torch cut 1 in 12 twist barrels that are approximately 10 or 12 inches in length.  I ordered 3 of these barrels and 2 of them were in good shape.  The other was rusted garbage.  I cut one of the barrels down to approximately 8 inches and had it threaded for $35.  I permanently attached a Ciener adapter to it and the reliability is just as good as my dedicated Kuehl upper.  This SD-type upper (see pic below) has been great and I've been shooting it more than my Kuehl upper.  If you want a shorty upper, this is an excellent inexpensive way to go.  To see a video of it, click HERE

Dan

Link Posted: 3/4/2006 11:22:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Love my Kuehl M4 upper.  I bought the barrel by itself and built the upper from spare parts.  Haven't had any major problems with it, so I've been very satisfied.  Someday I'll have to put some magnified glass on it to see what it can do.  It's a great plinker and I know on mine the accuracy is better than the Ciener kit on a regular centerfire upper.

Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:40:22 PM EDT
[#20]
All,

Thanks for sharing the nice pics and video with me ... you all got some nice equipment!

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top