Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/22/2006 10:31:16 AM EDT
I'm considering buying a Ciener .22lr conversion for my AR.  Can anyone give me feedback on how well they perform?  Any problems with them?

Thanks,
Mark
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:21:30 PM EDT
[#1]
I've got one for sale, along with an M60Joe.com mag loader...
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 6:19:46 PM EDT
[#2]
I own two kits. One is used in a bushmaster m4  with 1/9 twist barrel. The other is in a standard ar upper with a dedicated 22 lr barrel , 20" long with 1/16 twist .  Accuracy  is about 2" at  50 yds. with the  1/9  barrel and about 1" with the 1/16 barrel. I bought both kits used from the EE so they were already broken in. Some people report reliability issues with new kits until they get some mileage on them. High velocity ammo is almost a requirement for reliable functioning.  When clean and lubed, I can fire hundreds of rounds with no problems. When they get really dirty, I experience some infrequent failures to feed and or extract. On rare occasions, and I mean very rare, the kit has fired  out of battery. This appears to happen when shooting from the bench and allowing the mag to contact the bench  top. There has been no damage to the firearm, kit, mag or shooter from this.  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes,they can be fussy untill broken in. Fireing pins seem to be somewhat of a weak point, I replaced the factory one somewhere between 500 and 1000 rounds with one I hacked out of a spare ar 15 pin. This cobbed up one has lasted 4 thousand + rounds.
With my unit I have discovered that standard velocity target ammo shoots much better than the usuall 2" at 50 yards with high velocity ammo. With a good rest and good scope I can get near 1" groups outof my bushy 1/9 twist barrels and wolf ammo .
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:57:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Do yourself a favor and get the lakeside guns recoil springs for the Ciener kit.  They cost $10 for 3 springs delivered.  If you don't use the lakeside springs, then you will have feeding issues that will drive you nuts.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 7:58:53 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a M16 Ciener kit I bought off the net used years ago. It works 100%. IT works better than my UZI 22lr kit and my Subcal 22lr kit for my MAC10.  I've fired atleast 7K round through the kit and haven't had to replace anything. However, I do count my rounds to never dry fire. The dry fire is bad on the firing pin. In full-auto I place a dummy round as the last round to chamber and stop dry fire.

Some people complain but I've had no problem with my M16 Ciener 22lr kit. I love it. Low recoil cheap to shoot. I use the WalMart Federal 550 bulk ammo. It works well with my kit, it's cheap, it burns clean, and it is copper coated to reduce lead build up.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:12:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Mine is working well now that it's broken in and it will eat just about anything I've fed it:  Fed 550 pack, Rem GB 550 pack, Dynapoints, Blazers, Mini-Mags, CCI Subsonic HP, Wolf MT, SGBs, Win PowerPoints, even Win Xperts, though I had some problems with the last box of Xperts short-cycling after it got really dirty.  

When it was new I had some trouble with it stovepiping and I broke the tip of the extractor.  I don't know if fixing the extractor helped the stovepipe issue or if that took care of itself as it broke in.  My firing pin hasn't broken yet and I have a couple thousand through it.  

Accuracy is not great--worse than a stock 10/22--but it'll work for plinking or close-range practice.  
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top