Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 2/18/2006 12:13:42 PM EDT
I just bought a used 9mm setup off EE. took it out to the range today and it wont run. spent cases are getting hung up between bolt and upper reciever

sten mags
RRA 9mm upper reciever
olympic barrel (no markings i can see though)
olympic 9mm bolt (ithink)
looks like a vulcan mag block with ejector to replace oly wire ejector

9mm RRA BUFFER , carbine spring, telestock
notched bushmaster hammer (seller said he was using rounded hammer)

i was able to do 20rd w/o a failure, but usually only able to do 3 shots then it would jam. WWB FMJ and CCI blazers were used. WWB was slightly better

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#1]

would a lighter H buffer help or make it worse?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:27:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Okay.  That gun looks dirty.  Clean her up good.

It could be that the extractor is failing to grab the case.

Clean the extractor, make sure it functions without hanging up, check the extractor spring, etc. Look for wear on the extractor.  Do you know how many round were put through it before you bought it?

In order to properly clean it, you may need to punch the roll pins out of the bolt to clean the parts.  If you don't feel comfortable doing that, clean it to the best of your ability.

A lighter buffer will increase ROF, jamming your gun faster.  (Wait untill you can get it to run first)

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Isn't that an OLY bolt?  I thought the ejector on an OLY system 9mm was pinned into the receiver.  It doesn't like your RRA receiver was converted.  

Edit: I think you meant RRA buffer.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Edit: I think you meant RRA buffer.  

Yeah, that confused me..  
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:38:32 PM EDT
[#5]
yes, i probably should have cleaned it before taking it out. that dirt is with 200rds thru it plus whatever was on there originally. i just finished cleaning it. i dont have a total rounds count.

ill try to dissasemble the bolt. all i did was remove the firing pin to clean it. how much clp do you use in a 9mm? as much as a 223 or less oil

should i be able to extract a round manually with the charging handle? it wil extract but not eject by hand
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 4:40:12 PM EDT
[#6]
yes, RRA buffer. edited

previous owner said he used magwell ejector rather than upper reciever ejector

(i am not againts driling the upper and installing an oly ejector, if thats what it takes though)
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Wrong ejector with carrier or wrong carrier with ejector. Take your pick.

Have you tried a standard (Colt) 9mm carrier ?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:42:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
should i be able to extract a round manually with the charging handle? it wil extract but not eject by hand

Yes, it should cycle completely by hand.

I don't have both in front of me, but I am fairly sure that the "point" of the Oly extractor is a bit further forward in the upper than the Colt-system ejector. I don't think the Oly bolt, which is alittle longer than the Colt bolt, brings the case back far enough to hit the colt-style ejector. You'll need to reinstall the Oly ejector.

Is the upper drilled for the Oly ejector?
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 5:43:53 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Wrong ejector with carrier or wrong carrier with ejector. Take your pick.

Have you tried a standard (Colt) 9mm carrier ?

The bolts are not interchangeable. Do not try a Colt-style bolt in an Oly barrel.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Just a guess, but the bolt looks like a Vulcan.  I wonder if you have to use a 9mm hammer with it.  Maybe it can be ramped so you can swap between uppers easier.  Anyways, here are some pictures of my Olympic Arms .40 bolt and ejector, if it helps.

It's a little dirty and there is still some grease on the barrel extension.  I got my barrel back from KKF and installed a YHM tube on it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:42:30 PM EDT
[#11]
vulcan

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:57:37 PM EDT
[#12]
You got yourself a Hesse/Vulcan......good luck.
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 6:58:27 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
vulcan

Screw it, as long as you can get it running.  Like the saying about the fat chick and the moped!
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#14]
i guess i will try the hammer

if that does not work, im going to just get a new olympic upper...
Link Posted: 2/18/2006 9:22:29 PM EDT
[#15]
The pictures of your jams look very familiar!I bought a OLY 9mm upper,sten mags and a socom block about five years ago.It worked fine until i tried to improve it.I added a RRA case deflector and short ejection port door because of gas blowback and what felt like unburnt powder across my right cheek.After the addition i experienced erratic failure to eject jams.I surmised that the cases where bouncing off my newly added case deflector and back into the ejection port,causing stovepipes and jams very similar to yours.    
    Long story short,here's what to try and it won't cost you anything but a little time.Remove the case deflector!Clean the bolt and upper & lubricate.Shoot it without the case deflector tell us what happens.Good luck  

HTH, Mark

Link Posted: 2/18/2006 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
The pictures of your jams look very familiar!I bought a OLY 9mm upper,sten mags and a socom block about five years ago.It worked fine until i tried to improve it.I added a RRA case deflector and short ejection port door because of gas blowback and what felt like unburnt powder across my right cheek.After the addition i experienced erratic failure to eject jams.I surmised that the cases where bouncing off my newly added case deflector and back into the ejection port,causing stovepipes and jams very similar to yours.    
    Long story short,here's what to try and it won't cost you anything but a little time.Remove the case deflector!Clean the bolt and upper & lubricate.Shoot it without the case deflector tell us what happens.Good luck  

HTH, Mark

(Wear eye protection)

- BG
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:35:14 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
i guess i will try the hammer

if that does not work, im going to just get a new olympic upper...

Your upper is a basic Olympic system, with the ejector mounted on the block.  Verify it is where it should be, to get positive contact with the case head..

Hammer is not the issue, Oly system uses a basic carrier AR carier body with a bolt head shoved in the front... see how the ramp looks like an AR already, lay your 556 carrier beside it  and compare.  

Hammer is only an issue with the "COLT" style, but then there is a few things Colt did in the first place that need remedy to bring back to basic AR 15 style.

Loose the block mount ejector, though in the pics it look like it might be broken, finger too short....  and get you an Oly ejector,  have a machinist drill the upper...

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:29:26 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Oly system uses a basic carrier AR carier body with a bolt head shoved in the front... see how the ramp looks like an AR already, lay your 556 carrier beside it  and compare.  

Hammer is only an issue with the "COLT" style, but then there is a few things Colt did in the first place that need remedy to bring back to basic AR 15 style.

TacticalOpsAR:
The Vulcan(?) bolt looks like a cross between the Oly and Colt.  It has the forcing cone similar to Oly, but it doesn't looked ramped like Oly's.  Your picture is a little fuzzy so it's a little hard to tell, but are those markings from the hammer on the bolt?  Maybe you can post some better pictures of the bolt.

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:44:47 PM EDT
[#19]
i removed the case deflector and it did eject the cases much better by hand. one or two did still get hung up

is this still reasonably safe w/o the deflector? seemed like it would be ok, but i dont know. i always wear eye  protection so that is not a concern

i will try to get a better picture. the bolt is un ramped. the bolt has a raised section, then it dips down, then rises again to some wierd section that is actually welded onto the bolt. it is not machined all one piece. looks kinda like an abomination if you ask me.

back end  /'''''\...../"""""""""""   barrel end

Link Posted: 2/20/2006 7:22:38 PM EDT
[#20]
edit
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top