Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 1:39:28 PM EDT
Has anyone shot the new carbon 15  .22rimfire rifle? I've been thinking about buying one but would like to hear some pro's and con's.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 1:51:37 PM EDT
[#1]
I know you problably want to hear the 'pros', but I am going to offer the 'cons'

The Carbon line is the lesser of the two Bushmaster (or any AR15) line

It is a fringe product still and purists won't touch them.

Known to separate
Lousy re-sale
Un-receptive to traditional add-ons

Maybe one day they will be the rage, but for now they are seen as a cheap imitation (that isn't "cheap" - inexpensive)

As far as .22LR conversions go, there are some decent ones available.

Not meant a Bushmaster slam, but carbon is "out" for me
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#2]
I would have to disagree. I was not a big fan of my carbon .22, but it wasn't due to the carbon fiber aspect...it was because of the lack of hi-cap mags.

I have 2.5 carbon fiber Bushy guns and love them. Mine run 100% and they are a blast to shoot. They bumpfire like crazy.

I like one so much that I SBR'd it.....I wouldn't spend $200 just for a piece of paper on a gun that I don't think is a performer.

I still own and love the alum guns, but the carbon fiber line gets a bad rap too often.

P.S.....Bushy said somewhere that the Carbon gun sales is way beyound what they predicted.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 7:50:29 AM EDT
[#3]
   I just bought my first carbon Ar15 it was hard being old school myself and thinking metal is better theory. The thing that sold me is talking to a bushmaster rep by phone and talking to my local FFL dealer and friend about these rifles. The facts  about carbon are simple. Its light, its strong, and it wears very well. It is replaceing Allum in the aircraft industrty because it is stronger,lighter, handles stress better for long periods of time and over its life span. Allum gets weaker with age from stresses. With that said allum is fine in Ar15's and has worked perfect for years nothing wrong with it there, but carbon is the new boy on the block and has still got to prove itself which is fine time will tell one way or the other. The main problem the carbon rifles have is the bad ones put out my Para ORD. Lets face it many were junk and never worked right out of the box. It seems the new bushmasters are alot better built and redesigned. Still bushmaster will suffer the bad press from the Para Ord carbon rifles for several years until they are forgotten about.Of the dozen bushmaster carbon rifles my local dealer has sold he says no one has had any problems yet that he has heard.In fact most guys love them.  So far my carbon 15 unit seems well build,shoots great and has not had one jamm yet in my limted shooting about 300rds so far. I am not totally sold yet but I am on my way if my carbon gun keeps working and performing like it is doing now. Also one must rember that just because you read that one carbon rifle had a problem out of a 1000 sold that must be taken in context. I am sure out of 1000 Allum Ar-15 rifles  there is one or more that have some sort of  problem also.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top