Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/17/2006 2:39:51 AM EDT
I see Brownells carries all 3 Hahn blocks, and being a C&R holder I can pick up the dedicated and top loader for $160 or the bottom loader for $145 using my discount.

The Hahn block is the Cadilac of mag blocks, right?

The lower I plan to use will be a dedicated 9mm lower, so my intuition says to use the dedicated block.  So I guess my question is this, which block tends to be the most reliable system to use?

Is there less slop/movement with the dedicated block?

Yes I know the pros and cons of having a BHO but I mainly want to address reliability issues foremost.

I have some Colt mags inbound and recently picked up some converted 25 round Uzi mags for testing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 3:02:17 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
The Hahn block is the Cadilac of mag blocks, right?
To me? Yes.
The lower I plan to use will be a dedicated 9mm lower, so my intuition says to use the dedicated block.  So I guess my question is this, which block tends to be the most reliable system to use?
Dedicated top loader is the way to go- you'll have to take out the 5.56 bolt latch assembly, install the block and reinstall the latch.
Is there less slop/movement with the dedicated block?
Theoratically, yes. However, I don't have any issues with the bottom loader either.
Yes I know the pros and cons of having a BHO but I mainly want to address reliability issues foremost.
Hahn block is designed for Colt mags and should be good to go no matter which model you choose as long as you use Colt. With that said, I don't have issues with RRA converted Uzi mags either.

You may want to see if Brownells carries the block with the redesigned feed ramp. In Hahn's 12/12/05 news release, it stated that the redesigned 9mm feed ramp has a stepped feature that interfaces with the upper receiver to prevent any upward movement. The out sides of the ramp are wider and stepped to match closely with the upper receiver.  The adapters have *always* been designed to not move into the upper receiver.  Hahn tested a new prototype adapter and jammed in a magazine HARD (with a mallet) to simulate someone hitting the ground with the rifle.   The test was able to damage the upper receiver and move the adapter upwards....this new feed ramp prevents that....you would now have to destroy your rifle to move that adapter upwards. The upgrade benefits the bottom adapter the least. Per Hahn, this is not a fix to a known issue- just an improvement to the current design.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:46:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the dedicated Hahn mag block and it is awesome. Has been %100 reliable, quick mag changes, BHO works every time. It's the cats....well nevermind, just get one.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 6:59:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I have the dedicated Hahn mag block and it is awesome. Has been %100 reliable, quick mag changes, BHO works every time. It's the cats....well nevermind, just get one.

What he said.  200 bucks is alot of freakin money for a little piece of metal, but it works GOOD.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 7:00:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I took his advice ^^^....

Mine is very nice.  200+rds, not one single issue.  BHO worked every time, as designed.

Link Posted: 1/17/2006 9:28:31 AM EDT
[#5]
I just ordered one myself, can't wait to get it.

Shivan....got any pics of your 9mm?

Bomber
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 10:03:05 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Shivan....got any pics of your 9mm?

Not yet, but it's pretty plain and not even close to being the final product.

I am using a Colt upper, with a jerry-rigged Gemtech flash hider.

The lower is my SP1 registered reciever.

I'll get some pics tonight...  
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 2:16:06 PM EDT
[#7]
tag - good thread guys and thanks.  My exact same question!
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 4:57:05 PM EDT
[#8]
I just received my Hahn Bottom load mag block from Brownells and it is very sweet.  As soon as I took it out of the wrapper, it felt like quality.  It inserts very easily and locks in with an allen wrench.  I don't have my uppper yet but am very impressed with the Hahn.  FWIW, I bought the bottom loader because I want to quickly swap between my duty rifle and the 9mm upper but wanted the bolt hold open feature.
Link Posted: 1/18/2006 9:31:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got the Hahn dedicated mag block.  It works 100% with colt mags.  I had problems with Uzi and promags.  I was able to modify the Promags so they work with round nose ammo 100% since.

Here's the pics....

Here is the mod I made to the promags.....

The removal of the edge of the inside of the feed lip on the promag enabled the cartridge to sit higher in the magazine and enabled the correct feeding of round nose bullets.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:20:55 PM EDT
[#10]
Tagged to do what -Tomster- did to my pro-mags.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:15:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
www.tags4bags.com/EOTech.gif

A little off-topic... Which pistol grip is it? I've seen it before, but I can't find one for sale. It looks like it should be very comfortable; how does it compare to other aftermarket grips such as Hogue, Magpul, TangoDown?
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 1:44:04 AM EDT
[#12]
That's a Samco G27 I believe.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top