Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/7/2006 6:27:20 PM EDT
I have been researching this for a couple of days.  I would like to have Colt, but $55 per mag is hard to swallow.

I found used 25-round UZI mags for $15.  Even if I send them out to be professionally cut for $8, my total cost per mag is 23.  (+ shipping)

I like the 25-round mags because the mag is even with the bottom of the grip.  I think this would be a benefit for in-car security needs. (less chance to hang on something, and it's easier to carry 25-rounders vs. 32, 40 or 50-rounders.)

Are there drawbacks to going the UZI route?

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:35:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Uzi mags will not hold the bolt open after they are empty.
(Not saying that is a good thing or a bad thing.)
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#2]
May I ask where you would send your mags to be modified? Sounds like a decent idea to save a few bucks.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:18:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Why buy used when you can buy new?

http://www.dsarms.com/catalog-list.cfm?Category=27&storeid=1&CFID=5369981&CFTOKEN=15015814

Z717  Uzi 25 Round Mags, IMI factory mags, new, unissued, may have minor handling marks  $14.95

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:12:51 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
May I ask where you would send your mags to be modified? Sounds like a decent idea to save a few bucks.

Here: www.m60joe.com/

Sorry, it's $10 not $8.  I could swear it said $8 just a couple of days ago.

Roy
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:16:34 AM EDT
[#6]
My biggest issue with the extra expense of Colt mags, is that I want at least ten, if not more.  This weapon is one of three kept for SHTF scenarios.  If I needed one, The $30 wouldn't be so bad.  But in my case, I'm looking at another $300 minimum.

I'm AM still debating if the open bolt is worth the expense.

Roy
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:03:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
My biggest issue with the extra expense of Colt mags, is that I want at least ten, if not more.  This weapon is one of three kept for SHTF scenarios.  If I needed one, The $30 wouldn't be so bad.  But in my case, I'm looking at another $300 minimum.

Trying to save money on a SHTF gun is like buying generic TP.  It sounds good at the time, but the first time you need it, you'll realize what a dumbass you were.

Roy

The first time you here click with no bang in a SHTF situation, you'll think that $30 was pretty cheap.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:11:53 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Trying to save money on a SHTF gun is like buying generic TP.  It sounds good at the time, but the first time you need it, you'll realize what a dumbass you were.

Roy

The first time you here click with no bang in a SHTF situation, you'll think that $30 was pretty cheap.

Good argument.  I should have given that advice, not needed it.

Roy
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:23:37 AM EDT
[#9]
I have blown more than the cost of a couple Colt mags in one night at a bar.......and if I am trying to get laid a lot more.  Horse/dog track has been known to take their fair share.  Uncle Sam takes a crate of em from me every year.  

For SHTF purposes.....spare no expense.  Live a little......blow some extra cash on mags that may make the difference.  

That's my perspective.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 7:59:50 AM EDT
[#10]
The bolt hold open feature is worth the extra $30 by itself.  That being said I would never use a 9mm AR15 for a SHTF scenario.  The mags are just too temperamental... even the Colt version.  The first time your mags start to spew out 9mm rounds like a fountain you'll realize what I'm talking about.

Of the 8 Colt mags I have, only 3 worked correctly the first time out.  The rest would quadruple or quintuple feed.  After a bit of follower work, they all now function 100%.  The Uzi mags are the same but they include the additional f*ck you of not holding the bolt open.

YMMV
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:49:06 AM EDT
[#11]
I had the same dilemma.  I ended up with several ProMag 9mm AR mags.  Normally, I've seen ProMags that weren't worth shit, but these are acutally OK.  They're polymer 32 rounders with a waffle body.  They are cut for AR's and use the bolt hold open feature.  For ~$15, I haven't found a better solution.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:20:25 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
The bolt hold open feature is worth the extra $30 by itself.  That being said I would never use a 9mm AR15 for a SHTF scenario.

YMMV

This is a compromise SBR weapon, and I know that.  I have a Sig 226, and an AK.  The AK is not practicle to fire from a car, and it's very heavy for constant carry.  The Sig is tough to use for targets over 20 yards.

I also want to stockpile only two calibers of ammo.  For this, the 9mm AR works.  It was either this or an HK clone or Mini UZI.

Roy
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:44:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
That being said I would never use a 9mm AR15 for a SHTF scenario.  The mags are just too temperamental... even the Colt version.  The first time your mags start to spew out 9mm rounds like a fountain you'll realize what I'm talking about.

The ammo fountain does suck, but if you download 2 rounds to 30, it does seem to help reduce the pressure and gives the spring some give to absorb the shock and help prevent that.  It also allows you to tac reload on a closed bolt.

Of the 8 Colt mags I have, only 3 worked correctly the first time out.  The rest would quadruple or quintuple feed.  After a bit of follower work, they all now function 100%.  

I've never had any feed problems with the 20 or so different Colt mags I've used.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:16:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I only have experience with the 20rd Colt mags, all with metal followers.  I've found that if I bend the followers to position the rounds more horizontally in the mag rather than nose-up they function perfectly.  I don't have any problems with them now.

The 9mm carbine is a helluva lot of fun to shoot as long as your mags work!!!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top