Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/4/2006 11:58:26 AM EDT
wanting to know some opinions, pros/cons of 10mm conversion.  I have a 10 witness and want a carbine to go with it, but need some advice
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:12:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Try looking into this!
www.olyarms.com/?page=m1_pistol_cal#
Specificaly the K10!
Also try: www.dalphon.com/conv.html
Good luck!
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I used to think very highly of the 10mm cartridge.

But factory loadings are so weak these days, I think it really has become a dog. It’s not significantly better then the .40SW.

That is why I was looking into the 9x23. It is a much newer case design and runs at much higher pressures. Generally it is a much better cartridge for the AR15 SBR platform.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 2:26:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I have posted before that the 10mm upper is a great conversion. I have the Oly on a Cav Arms and use the grease gun mags, you just have to adjust the feed lips to hold the round in the mag. I also use the heavy buffer and I haven't had any problems. Like you, I like the 10mm and carry a Kimber Eclipse with fixed sights. The 10mm shoots very flat out to 200 yards. I am in the process of trying H110, AA9, W296 and VN110 loads to see if the slow powders like the longer barrel. David
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:48:22 AM EDT
[#4]

I am in the process of trying H110, AA9, W296 and VN110 loads to see if the slow powders like the longer barrel. David

I've done some tests with N110 in 10mmA, a S&W pistol with a 5" barrel.
Even with that I get "Norma power" without any hints of over pressure so it should work great in a longer barrel.
E-mail or IM if you'd like detailed load info etc.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I used to think very highly of the 10mm cartridge.

But factory loadings are so weak these days, I think it really has become a dog. It’s not significantly better then the .40SW.

Give these guys a try

www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=21_25&products_id=122

I doubt you can safely get a 180 grain bullet to go 1350 ft/s out of a 40 S&W

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top