Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/2/2006 7:04:21 PM EDT
hey guys
broke a hammer trigger pin today.
wasnt rapid firing. it was still functioning, but the one half was riding out.

bad luck or is this common ???

thanks
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:54:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Not uncommon in 9mm.  Suggest you get a set of the Colt stainless steel pins or the KNS non-rotating set.  You might also want to get your bolt ramped to reduce the impact of the hammer being pushed back and make sure you're running a good strong hammer spring.

A heavier buffer will also help.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 12:18:56 PM EDT
[#2]
thanks
i have the haevy buffer. ill get the bolt ramped. and maybe the colt pins.
who was those ???
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 2:22:59 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
thanks
i have the haevy buffer. ill get the bolt ramped. and maybe the colt pins.
who was those ???

DSA sells some pins that lock in the reciever using screws and exterior supports.  They seem to work well in my 9mm AR.

Link Posted: 1/3/2006 3:44:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Getting your bolt ramped is all you really need to do. I've got about 2500 rounds through my 9mm AR and have had not problem with my pins. I had M60 Joe ramp my bolt when he assembled and tested my rifle. It runs like a top.
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:35:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, I would agree that your first move should be getting the bolt ramped.  That seems to take all the "bite" out of the 9mm setup.  FWIW, I tried taking the old Dremel tool to a bolt and just removing the "lump" on the rear underside so basically it was flat all the way back.  Tests with a PACT timer later showed that the "de-lumped" bolt ran exactly 15 rpm faster than the one I had ramped and tungsten insert installed in.  That's pretty close.

As an interesting aside- a lot of us assume that the 9mm bolt was contoured the way it was in an attempt to slow down the cyclic rate.  According to The Black Rifle II this feature was patented as an "anti-full auto conversion" device.  Just another example of Colt bending over backwards to retain the title of "World's Most Anti-gun Gun Company".
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#6]
ahhh !!! colt and their bullshit again.  
ramping it is.
im glad i built it up on a ameetec lower.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:30:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I have in excess of 2500 rounds through my 9mm AR with unramped bolt and haven't yet broken any pins.  It is possible you had a bad/weak pin.  For about $0.79 each, you can get a replacement pin and see how long it takes for it to break, if it does.

I don't use mine for duty or self defense, so if mine breaks tomorrow or whenever, it isn't an issue for me.  I just use it for informal competitions and practice, so spending a couple bucks to have a few extra parts on hand was a better investment for me than spending the more then a couple of bucks to send the bolt out to be ramped.  To each his own.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:59:03 AM EDT
[#8]
True enough if you're talking about a semi where the whole lower receiver can be replaced for a little over $100 bucks.  If it's a registered MG, however, anything you can do to ensure it's longevity is a good idea.  A bolt ramping job is cheap insurance.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:25:07 PM EDT
[#9]
thanks to all.
i dug up two more new pins. in the parts box. ill give them a go.
can always ramp it in the future.
if they dont break i guess im good to go.

thanks alot again

isnt the 9mm cool ??
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#10]
i had a pin break on me.  im going to ramp it myself.  im a machinist
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:45:12 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
im going to ramp it myself.  im a machinist

Somebody got the delux Dremel tool set for Xmas!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 7:24:39 AM EDT
[#12]
This "ramping of the bolt business". I am putting together a semi auto. M60 joe's websites says he will not ramp semi auto bolts. Am I to "assume" that this issue is only with full auto?
H
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 8:23:32 AM EDT
[#13]
As an interesting aside- a lot of us assume that the 9mm bolt was contoured the way it was in an attempt to slow down the cyclic rate. According to The Black Rifle II this feature was patented as an "anti-full auto conversion" device. Just another example of Colt bending over backwards to retain the title of "World's Most Anti-gun Gun Company".

The contour of the standard full-auto bolt, tthat came in almost all semiauto Colt 9mm factory guns, is an "anti-full auto conversion" device?  When I think of contour, I think more of the shape and angle of the ramp.  I think that is refering to the small groove, approx 1mm, that runs across the bottom of the bolt at the back of the ramp, just below the firing pin.  That groove is what catches on the cut-out at the top of a semi-auto hammer.    

This "ramping of the bolt business". I am putting together a semi auto. M60 joe's websites says he will not ramp semi auto bolts. Am I to "assume" that this issue is only with full auto?
H

A true semiauto 9mm bolt is very rare and had the bottom edge exteded forward so as to not work with either a Lighning Link, like one cut to SP1 specs would, or a standard auto-sear, like one cut to M16 spec(standard full-auto 9mm bolt) would.

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 7:13:42 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I assume the issue is the rare Colt semi-auto bolt will only allow a 9mm hammer to pass inside.... the std  bolts available on todays market are M16 copies, and the top is open, thus it will allow the std AR-15/M16 hammer to pass and stand upright.... It will require way toooo much work to open up the semi-bolt and bring it to current market specs...  The std 9mm M16 bolt will cost less, and only need "ramp".
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:07:20 AM EDT
[#15]
If you have an RRA or a Colt 9mm bolt it will work with an M16 or AR15. (Thus can be ramped)

Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
If you have a current RRA/Colt/ASA/Garrison 9mm bolt it will work with an M16 or AR15. (Thus can be ramped)

Minor spell Nazi and correction made to reply
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top