Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/1/2006 5:24:32 AM EDT
Does anyone know if there's a company out there who does a .22WMR upper or conversion kit for the AR15.

As this is the nearest we are gonna get to shooting semi- auto in the UK other than the .22LR kits that are available presently.

I know  a guy called Leitner -Wise was supposed to be doing an upper a few years ago but he seems to have dissapeared without a trace.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 9:11:30 AM EDT
[#1]
A long time ago I was hoping for the L-W 22 magnum but that item never made it to production. At one time Rhineland Arms had mentioned they might do a 17 HMR or 22 magnum upper but right now they are deep into other projects. A few years back Bushmaster mentioned something about doing a 22 magnum or 17 HMR but that fell by the wayside also. Myself and another fellow named edwin247 decided to build our own. Too bad no manufacturer wants to get into an AR upper in either 22 magnum or 17 HMR -- they are really impressive for rimfires.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:26:50 AM EDT
[#2]
It might be due to the cost of ammo.  At ~$6 for 22 mag and ~$7 for 17 HMR ammo, you could be shooting reloads and Wolf for less, and quality ammo for about the same price.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 1:57:22 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
It might be due to the cost of ammo.  At ~$6 for 22 mag and ~$7 for 17 HMR ammo, you could be shooting reloads and Wolf for less, and quality ammo for about the same price.

I think Mousegunner-UK has to deal with some special rules over in the UK and I get the impression that a 22 magnum semi-auto would be allowed but maybe not a centerfire semi-auto. The price of the ammo most likely would not mean much to him if it was the best he was allowed to get.

Maybe he can enlighten us on how they got screwed were allowed to join the anti-gun movement without even asking!
Link Posted: 1/2/2006 5:42:16 AM EDT
[#4]
Might be right.  I didn't notice his location.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 10:51:00 AM EDT
[#5]
No semi-auto centerfires in the UK.  .22LR semi-auto is OK and I guess .22WMR is too.  Not sure why he'd want a WMR instead of a LR though.  I thought they weren't allowed to hunt either.

I think the main thing keeping anyone from making a .22WMR or .17HMR is magazines.  Not much to pick from for the base magazine.   You'd also probably need a heavier bolt, and more travel to pick up the longer round.  I'm not sure if there's room in the upper for that, but I think there is.  I'm sure you could make it work, but with .22WMR costing as much or more per round than cheap .223s there's not much market for it in the US--not enough to make the time invested pay off comercially.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top