Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/31/2005 12:32:27 PM EDT
I've seen here and other places on Al Gore's Internets differing things on whether a 9mm build requires a 9mm buffer.  I've heard:

They're not needed

They're needed in CAR/M4 stocks but not standard stocks.

They're needed only in full auto.

Well, which is it?  I'm gonna do a rock river build for semi-auto only with a CAR style stock or Ace CAR stock.  Do I need one or not?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:00:50 PM EDT
[#1]
If you're using a carbine length buffer tube then you need to use a 9mm buffer.

If you're using a rifle length buffer tube then you need to use a rifle buffer.

It's that simple.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Standard stock buffer weight= 5.2 oz
9mm buffer weight= 5.5 oz
Standard CAR buffer= 3 oz

I doubt the .3 oz difference in the rifle buffer will have anything to gain by using a 9mm buffer. I have a CAR stock and do use the 9mm buffer for both the 9mm upper and 5.56 upper. While I don't think you'll have a bolt bounce issue with the standard CAR buffer in semi mode, why take the chance of extra wear and tear to save $25.00 on a 9mm buffer?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:26:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I am running an AAC buffer in a CAR stock.  It runs just fine in semi or FA with either the 5.56 or the 9mm upper.  Both are 10.5" barrels.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:39:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I accidentally reassembled my 9mm with a standard CAR buffer once and it ran just fine.  Realized the mistake about 500 rounds later with no problems to date.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I accidentally reassembled my 9mm with a standard CAR buffer once and it ran just fine.  Realized the mistake about 500 rounds later with no problems to date.

Oh it will work but it will beat the heck out of your lower. There's a reason why a 9mm AR uses a heavier buffer - to slow the bolt down so it doesn't batter your lower.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top