Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/28/2005 2:04:55 PM EDT
I finally shot my 9mm home brew today!

Parts:
Bushmaster factory refurb stripped pre-ban lower.
RRA AR lower parts kit.
Clone M4 buttstock and tube.
RRA 9MM Upper
Brownells 9mm Hammer
Brownells 9mm Bolt Buffer
Hy-Tech Mag Block
4 (Feather?) UZI Mags

I did a few single shots for function checking and to make sure nothing was going to blow up in my face, then I ran through 10, then 3 mags of 30.  After about 100 rounds I stripped it down and cleaned out the junk.    It ran pretty flawlessly, except sometimes the last round would FTE.  That just might be a breakin or mag issue though.

I'm not entirely sure what the mags are.  They were dirt cheap at a gun show ($10 each).  They APPEAR to be feather magazines, according to google.  They are not IMI, so I guess they're only so-so quality.  Still, they didn't FTF at all, so I can't complain much.

The Hy-Tech mag block was too wide at the top.  It wouldn't even go all the way into the mag well.  A little bit of dremel work later and now it fits nice and proper.

I borrowed the backup BUIS from another gun, but I'm going to put a red dot on this soon anyway.

All in all, I'm quite happy!
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 6:26:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Very nice!
I plan on getting ine of thouse mag adapters next!
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 6:57:03 AM EDT
[#2]
VERY cool setup!  I like the mag block.  Will the block drop if you hit the AR mag release button?  I'd always be a bit worried that habit patterns would rear up and I'd hit the wrong mag release button.

I really like 9mm AR's  With Justin machining dedicated AR lowers to accept grease gun mags, I've always wondered why no one has made what you'd call a dedicated 9mm lower - one that has a correct sizing and contouring of the mag well area.  It'd make an already great setup look that much more "clean".

Don't mean to hijack your thread.  Thanks for the pics, and enjoy your gun!  A 9mm setup is perfect for EOTECHS and other 0 or low magnification optics.
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 7:07:28 AM EDT
[#3]

It will if you hit the mag release button HARD.  I only did a tiny bit of dremel work because I wanted it stuck in there quite tightly just for that reason.

I was going to try a grease gun mag setup, but from what I can see you need to do an Oly style upper, not a colt/rra which seems to be a bit more common.

Plus, the UZI mags are not that expensive, and I couldn't find anybody who would ship grease gun mags to MA. :/
Link Posted: 12/29/2005 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Whats the story on the refurbished preban receiver.  I haven't heard of those before?  Sounds like a neat idea.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 3:06:22 AM EDT
[#5]
great looking build. Job well done congrats
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 5:03:28 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Whats the story on the refurbished preban receiver.  I haven't heard of those before?  Sounds like a neat idea.

didnt know that bm did it but olympic would sell you a new lower with the same sn# if your lower was damaged.
Link Posted: 12/30/2005 7:18:10 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

didnt know that bm did it but olympic would sell you a new lower with the same sn# if your lower was damaged.

Same thing I assume.  It came basically untouched and new, but it is a way older preban serial number.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top