Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/23/2005 8:25:36 AM EDT
i've got a ciener kit and a 20" kuhel barrel, adn i was realy enjoying shooting with out hearing protection, when (BANG) and a whole lot of ringing from my right ear.  Looking into the ejection port i could see that the bolt was about an 16th inch away from the back of the barrel.  and i could see where the brass exploded.  The brass came out easy with my fingers.  Is there anything i can do to keep this from happing again?  I was using federal auto-match 40gr ammo Thanks
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:49:19 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
i've got a ciener kit and a 20" kuhel barrel, adn i was realy enjoying shooting with out hearing protection, when (BANG) and a whole lot of ringing from my right ear.  Looking into the ejection port i could see that the bolt was about an 16th inch away from the back of the barrel.  and i could see where the brass exploded.  The brass came out easy with my fingers.  Is there anything i can do to keep this from happing again?  I was using federal auto-match 40gr ammo Thanks

Yea...wear hearing protection when you're shooting .

Edited to add "Eye protection too."
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 12:22:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have had a couple or three of these happen.  About all that I can think to do is keep things reasonably clean and lubricated, and make sure the recoil spring is not sprung.  If it happens with the first round in a full magazine, try reducing the by a round to keep the bolt moving quickly.

It would also help to make sure that you have no burrs anywhere in the sytem that can drag things down.  And lastly, which would be a real pain would be to get a case guage and run each round into it to make sure they are all in spec.  Mine all happened with Wally World bulk stuff.  I would not suspect that the Federal match would have problems.  I might tend to think that the problem is in the fit of the unit and parts.

Craig
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Read my post at the top of page 2 of this thread:

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=257553&page=2
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 12:48:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Get yourself a Lakeside guns recoil spring to ensure your bolt is in battery.  They sell them in a package of 3 for $10 shipped.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top