Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/21/2005 12:23:12 PM EDT
I have an olympic arms 9mm upper, it came with a mag block for sten mags, I bought a beta mag, and had to get another mag block. the new mag block,(from adco) has an inverted J on the top of it, that won't allow the upper to close on the lower, should I dremmel this J off? I can't see what it's function is, it contacts a pin with a spring on it, that runs transversely across the bottom of the upper, I don't really see what this pins use is either. I am new to ar9mm's so I would really appreciate some help, Thanks treeman,  and MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 4:51:42 PM EDT
[#2]
correct, but as I said above to use it with a beta mag, you need the colt style mag block. I know how the olympic block works, but it will not work with the beta.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:51:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:07:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I know that the oly mag block I have is made for modified sten mags, not beta mags, as you know a beta mag won't  just click into an ar mag well, so you need an adapter, the beta fits into the adco adapter, but the upper will not close because of the inverted J, if the inverted j is the ejector, then you are correct I don't need it because the upper already has an ejector.  wouldn't it have been easier to say"the inverted J is the ejector, since you already have one in your upper then you don't need it"  DAMN MAN!
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:47:16 AM EDT
[#5]
I haven't heard of anyone using a Beta mag with an OLY before. As was stated before the mag position is different between OLY and Colt style. Oly mags are positioned to the front of the magwell and the Colt is toward the rear. You paid a lot of money for that mag block from Adco and if you dremel it off and it still doesn't work it's going to be an expensive experiment. Just because I haven't heard of anyone doing this doesn't mean it can't be done. I have stuck with the socom block and sten mags cause I'm cheap.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:00:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:47:09 AM EDT
[#7]
sounds like you wasted a lot of money
if i understood the tacked threads in this forum correctly, colt style mags/mag blocks for colt style uppers and oly style mags/mag blocks for oly uppers.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:24:58 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
sounds like you wasted a lot of money

Yeah....what he said.  It is not going to work without a LOT time, money and work.  Unless you have all of that, you have pooped away a lot of money.

if i understood the tacked threads in this forum correctly, colt style mags/mag blocks for colt style uppers and oly style mags/mag blocks for oly uppers.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:07:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Since the tranverse pin with the spring wrapped around it is the ejector on the Oly upper, you don't need the "J" ejector on your new block.  I wouldn't cut it off. Why not just remove the two pins that hold it in, remove it, and give it a try?

I don't think your Oly styled bolt will work with a Colt style ejector. Oly uses more of a cone shaped bolt that fits into their extension. Colt and Oly systems are not compatible.

I haven't played with a Betamag, but could you mill a sten-like mag notch in the back of the mag? It may be too much weight tho for the mag release.

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:13:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:59:53 AM EDT
[#11]
To: Tweak, I do owe you an apology, I was getting frustrated with this thing, and I do have alot of money tied up in it, I also misunderstood what you were saying, MY SINCERE APOLOGIES! hope there is no hard feelings.      I didn't understand the differences of the two styles, now I do and I understand what Tweak was saying, not understanding, made it sound like Tweak was being smart with me, when all I was doing was asking for help, so it was a total mis understanding, accompanied by frustation and I hate the fact that I took it out on someone who was trying to help.                 I am going to try to take the ejector off with the two screws, but I think the mag tower will still be to high.  is there a different style mag block that will work? Beta told me they were all the same before I bought the bata mag, this doesn't seem to be the case.  I bought the beta for run and gun stuff, I might have to live with two 32 rd stens, there may be a 9mm beta on the ee before to long, totally unused of course,   Thanks everybody, and have a merry Christmas  Alan
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:04:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks Bud, that was what I was hoping to read, what I didn't get was how high the mag fits in the block, do you know of a block that will let the mag sit lower? I read all the posts in the pistol/rimfire forum last night, and thats when I figured out what you were saying, I couldn't find a post that related to this, and I am a dremelist, not a machienist ( check for spelling, haha), got me stumped.  Thanks again Alan,  also, I was planning to post an apology to you today, even before I got flamed, it was late, and I was a little miffed at the thought of being out so much money, for what seemed like nothing, also disappointed, I was really looking forward to shooting the guts out of that nine upper, so I just slammed the laptop shut, and went to bed, hind sight is 20/20, I should have apologized last night.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:36:04 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:56:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Sounds like you need a Sten tower for your Beta Mag and all will be well. However, I do not know if anyone makes such an animal. I have an OLY upper but am still cobbling together parts for it and have not tried it out yet. I am waiting for a bolt from OLY.

Bob
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:01:04 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:15:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Bookhound,  you weren't to harsh, I deserved it, it was my own ignorance that made me misunderstand tweaks reply, as far as the beta goes, I'm not going to do anything to it, and I think even with the ejector wacked off the block it still wouldn't work, I should have researched the 9mm setups a little better before I bought it, because the original idea was to put a beta on one, and have a run and gun setup for the tac range, to eliminate mag changes, and I was also going to get a can for it, cheaper and quieter than the 556, I jumped a little to fast. The olmpic upper, works great with the sten mags that came with it, I have never had a single problem, with the exeption of over filling the 32rd mags, they will only feed with 28, I am an optimist though, surely there is a way to make it work, it may involve getting a new upper, but damn it , I am going to have a 9mmAR with a beta mag-hahaha, if you can think of anything that will make the OLY work, let me know, meenwhile, I will keep working at it, I haven't tried to contact Olympic arms to see if they have an adapter, I have their catalog, and I don't recall seeing one. thanks, Treeman
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:34:31 AM EDT
[#18]
I think I did see a sten tower somewhere?  I know I saw sten tower for beta mag, either on ee, or one of the industry web sites? hum? forgot about that, thanks, in fact I know I read sten tower for beta mag, as far as calling beta, they are the ones who told me they are all the same, all I needed was the mag block, thats why I just went and got  "A MAG BLOCK", I even said in my email to them that I had an Olympic arms upper, that uses sten mags, I  take  that back,  the Co. I bought the beta from told me they were all the same,  Damn! my head is spinning, I can't  think of who I bought it from now?  So, I guess I will call Beta,  Thanks everybody, I think I will give my keyboard a rest, and finish Christmas shopping, gonna get it done early this year, I am two days ahead of schedule.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 12:09:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:29:35 PM EDT
[#20]
if I used the sten mag block that i already have, would it not fit just like a reg. sten mag?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 2:38:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Ther e is a Sten tower floating around I think.

Your contact should start with Ruben Mendela (spelling?) , and a fella that has posted here as "subgunner", look in the NFA exchange, or do a search for him.

Found some info -

IM subgunner

Might also try subguns.com
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:17:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Hey, thanks for the info, I fired off an email to subgunner, and I am waiting for his reply.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 7:40:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Yeah, the colt style mag and block probably won't work with an OLY upper.  If you go back to the Oly style block and sten adaptor you may be okay.

I had a colt 9mm mag tower from Subgunner before Beta was making their colt 9mm towers.  It was well made and very tough.

He is probably the guy to talk to.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:20:52 PM EDT
[#24]
IM sent.  I can help you here.  I have the Sten Tower and block.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 3:41:02 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:48:14 AM EDT
[#26]
Amen Brother!   1. started with a question  2. had some frustration  3. did some discussion  4. found a solution.  You guy's are the best, I really appreciate everyone's input, and Locksmith76's coming up with the goods!  Now waiting on step 5.-SHOOTING THE GUTS OUT OF THIS OLY UPPER! Thanks again, I will part with the colt mag block, already had some offers, and if all goes well, I won't have wasted a dime.   On the pics, I'm having this upper threaded, replacing the front site post with a railed gas block, putting railed hand grips, eotech or other optics, then a can, should be one bad mother when it's finished, we can have a two page discussion on how to post pics, and eventually my dumb ass will figure out how to do it, and they will be up! Thanks again to everyone! if there is ever a chance I could help any of you, don't hesitate to ask, MERRY CHRISTMAS, AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL! THANKS, Treeman
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:14:21 AM EDT
[#27]
------
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:29:04 AM EDT
[#28]
IM sent.  But no, keep your dummy rounds.  And edit your post, I wrote down your address, so you can remove that line.
Thanks
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top