Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/10/2005 4:34:18 AM EDT
Who makes the best 9mm conversion block? I see quite a few out there, FN, HAHN Precision, American Spirit Arms, VM HY-TECH, just to name a few. I want a real good one that uses Colt 9mm mags...... but which one? Also, what is the best style to get? Some have a cut out in the center, like American Spirit Arms does, and some are solid all the way down like HAHN Precision. Then there is the way they go in the gun.... top loading or bottom loading? HAHN Prec. makes both. I want the ruggedest most relieble system I can get that uses std. Colt 9mm mags and drop's them from the reg. mag release button. So whats it going to be......
Best brand:
Best style:
Top or bottom load:
Thank you for your help.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:34:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Get the new Hahn Precision dedicated mag block.  Using Colt mags, I am yet to experience a malfunction.  I have used 115grain, 124 grain, 147 grain, in flat points, hollow points, and round nose bullets.  Uzi mags didn't work well for me, nor did the promags until I modified them.  I need to get off my ass and do a writeup on how to modify the promags because they are the cheapest and work well after modification.

Anyway, my vote is for the Hahn dedicated block.
Link Posted: 12/10/2005 11:55:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Well if u have a dedicated lower then like Tomster said that's the ticket.
I went with the Hahn top load because I will be constantly switching from 5.56 to 9mm
with my lower. Either way u can't go wrong with the Hahn.
Mine was very tight & had to fit it a little tho. Took to range today & ran 200rnds 9mm
without a hiccup!
Oh yeah Tomster, big + 1 on seeing the promag mod, I have some of those on the way.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 3:53:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guy's, Hahn Pre. it is. What is the difference between the "top" load and "bottom" load blocks? I'v seen the kind that go in the mag well (like putting in a mag) and then you tighten a set screw to hold it in place. I take it this is a "bottom" load block? If so, how does the top load one go in, and which is better? I will be using a dedicated lower for it, so I would like it as perminate as possible. Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:26:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a top loading ASA block. Block has worked very well for me. But with the ASA block you have no last round hold open.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 12:55:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Try JT distributing for a Colt 1 piece block. Mine works great with modified Uzi and Colt mags.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#6]
OK - Can you all give me a couple sources for buying the dedicated Hahn blocks?  I found the Hahn-precision site - If I Buy it from them? who install it.  It states it must be armorer's level once installed.

Thanks for your help.
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
OK - Can you all give me a couple sources for buying the dedicated Hahn blocks?  I found the Hahn-precision site - If I Buy it from them? who install it.  It states it must be armorer's level once installed.

Thanks for your help.

"Armorer's level skills" for the dedicated block are equivalent to removing the bolt catch roll pin and reinstalling the roll pin.  That advisory is a joke.

Brownells sells the Hahn blocks.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 2:49:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I think I know how the bottom load unit work's: It feed's in like a mag over the magazine release. Then you tighten a set screw to keep it in place, so it can't drop out when releaseing a magazine.
The top load unit, I'm guessing, drop's in from the top of the lower reciever. If this is so, what hold's it in place? Also from what I'v seen, the top load unit's have no last shot bolt hold open, is this true on all of them? Why?
Is either the top or bottom load a better unit than the other? If they are the same in reliability & ruggedness, I think I would like the bottom load, only because I like the last shot hold open. What do you guy's think?
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 10:49:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks Tomster - That is kind of what I figured.

I am guessing if I can install a stock and lower parts kit - I should be able figure this out too.

Thank you.

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for your help.

"Armorer's level skills" for the dedicated block are equivalent to removing the bolt catch roll pin and reinstalling the roll pin.  That advisory is a joke.

Brownells sells the Hahn blocks.

Link Posted: 12/12/2005 12:05:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 5:22:01 PM EDT
[#11]
How about a slightly different spin on the original question: What's the best 9mm block for easily affordable, widely available magazines?  I'd like to get into a 9mm AR, but the whole "Colt system versus Oly system" thing is just over my head.  I want to be able to use inexpensive Uzi or Sten magazines because they're plentiful, as opposed to Colt mags that are expensive and in apparently short supply.

So what block uses the most economical magazines and still works great?

(Did I just start some sort of storm here? )
Link Posted: 12/13/2005 2:27:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 7:38:06 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The VM Hytech mag block can be found on our website and it uses UNMODIFIED Uzi mags.  This will be your best bet.

Cool!  Thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#14]
I've tried four different blocks:

RRA bottom loader:  Would come loose and would malfunction if not at the exact right "height" in the magwell.  Basically, it moved around too much.

RRA top loader:  Extraction issues.  Tight fit in SP1 lower.  Some mags wouldn't fit (too tight)

Hy-tech:  Worked well for the short time I had it but I didn't like the mag catch or the protrusion below the magwell.  Uzi mags weren't really that much cheaper than modified uzi mags

Hahn toploader:  What I'm currently using.  Seems to run well so far.  Seems to have the best feed ramp of the four I've tried.  Mags are easy to put into the magwell.  The block wiggles a bit but the wiggle doesn't cause any problems.  Just found out:  there is a small hole on the front inside of the magwell that has a tensioning screw in it.  Tightening it keeps the block from wiggling.

I also bought a Colt two piece but decided against having my receiver drilled.  I believe it was going to be about $80 to have it installed by an experienced professional.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:35:47 AM EDT
[#15]
I'm using the "Colt" system, and I went with a Hahn semi-dedicated.

I haven't used it yet, but it is built very nice and installed very easily.

I'm pleased so far.

I got the block from Warren at Ameetec Arms.  Quick service.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:52:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Thanks guys. How does the "top" load unit's work? Do you open the upper and just drop them in the mag well? If so, does anything hold them in other than the upper shutting so it can't fall out? I noticed that most of the top load unit's don't have a last shot hold open on them, that I don't like.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:18:09 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Thanks guys. How does the "top" load unit's work? Do you open the upper and just drop them in the mag well? If so, does anything hold them in other than the upper shutting so it can't fall out? I noticed that most of the top load unit's don't have a last shot hold open on them, that I don't like.

I don’t know about a Hahn top loader, but I have 2 Garrison Mfg. top loading blocks. They drop in from the top of the lower. You open up your rifle, slide the block in, push in the magazine release, and it drops into place. The block is machined to a very tight tolerance; it also has a step milled on the block so it can’t fall through no matter what. The block dropped right in on my DPMS lower and has a slight amount of side play. I pulled it out and added a 1'' strip of electrical tape to the front of the block and slid it back in. This works fine. 1000 rounds with NO problems. The block I put in my RRA lower was tight. RRA products seem to have the tightest tolerances. I tapped it in with a rubber hammer. Works fine. The only issue I have is with 9MM bolt catches. I have broken 4 so far. I quit using them. This system needs an extended bolt catch for the last round hold open option. If you install the extended bolt catch you can’t remove the block.

But I do believe that with the Hahn top loader you don’t need a 9mm extended bolt catch to hold the bolt open, the stock one works. It uses a pivot slide deal in the block that looks like a real cool unit. That’s one reason for the extra cost. I am happy with the Garrison blocks but if I build another 9mm I will spend the extra $50 bucks on a Hahn. Hope this answers your question.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 4:45:02 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Yes, just open it up and drop it in.  With the upper attached, it can't fall out.  You are correct about the Bolt Hold open.  The top loaders do not have it UNLESS you install a 9mm bolt catch (not hard to do).  Of course the BHO doesn't work with the modified Uzi mags anyways.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 4:29:26 AM EDT
[#19]
I think there are two hihn "top loaders"
One uses the standard 5.56m bolt catch (doesn't require the longer 9mm)
http://www.hahn-precision.com/armory/a_armory.htm
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 12:05:20 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
I think there are two hihn "top loaders"
One uses the standard 5.56m bolt catch (doesn't require the longer 9mm)
http://www.hahn-precision.com/armory/a_armory.htm

One is referred to as "Top Loader" and one is referred to as "Semi-Dedicated".

The dedicated one is the one that uses the 5.56 bolt hold open.

Mine works VERY well.

Super high marks from me!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:10:32 PM EDT
[#21]
I have 3 different blocks: VM hytech, ASA qand RRA

VM Hytech had me sold on the "uses unmodified uzi mags"- what it doesn't tell you, is that it doesnt work with ALL unmodified uzi mags. Out of 15+ mags only 5 fit. After MUCH fitting of the block and some tweaking of the mags, I got it to work with all of my mags.  One thing I don't like, is if you use a mdified mag, it get hung up on the notch. dropping a mag requires hitting the release twice. The first does the initial drop. Then the mag catches on the notch, so you have to hit the mag release again. It works, but its a pain.

RRA- I bought it used as RRA, but I do not know for sure. I had to do a lot of fitting to get this one to take ALL of my mags. Initially, it would only take 3-4 of the 15.

ASA- has worked from day one- it was the first block I bought and the one that fit best. Go figure.

Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:16:46 PM EDT
[#22]
my vm  hytech works works flawless, no complaints what so ever.
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:28:51 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
We have all the Hahn blocks in stock.

How much as I can't find it listed?
Link Posted: 12/17/2005 6:46:17 PM EDT
[#24]
What upper can you use with the Hahn system and does one work better then another with  the Hahn block?  
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 12:32:09 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:
We have all the Hahn blocks in stock.

How much as I can't find it listed?

It's listed under Magazines & related.
Link Posted: 12/18/2005 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I use a top loading ASA block. Block has worked very well for me. But with the ASA block you have no last round hold open.

I agree, My ASA top loading block requires no fitting or set screws, and it won't loosen up.  Mine is the older ASA (Before the ASA top loaders started having MFG. problems) - I wish I had 2 more of them!
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 11:50:32 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
What upper can you use with the Hahn system and does one work better then another with  the Hahn block?  

Any Colt or RRA style upper, not the Olympic uppers.

My Hahn seems to work better than the others I've tried.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hahn does offer a 9mm adaptor block for the Olympic uppers that adapts 9mm Sten mags.

The Hahn system
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:11:15 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hahn does offer a 9mm adaptor block for the Olympic uppers that adapts 9mm Sten mags.

The Hahn system

Right, but the vast majority of the Hahn blocks that would be encountered out ther would be Colt/rra system.  Just trying not to confuse the newbie any more.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top