Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/8/2005 3:12:26 PM EDT

I posted this a while back but it went into the archive server.  I’ve been modifying the mag and block to run smoother and did some more last night.  I wanted to post an update.

The upper is an LAR upper that was modified to accept the Oly pistol cal ejector.  The block is a two piece design from SNS Industries.  It inserts from the bottom and is secured in place with an allen wrench.  With this setup, the magazine is held in place and dropped with the regular magazine release.

The block was originally in the white, so I filed the corners down so it would fit snug in my lower and I ended up filing down the feed ramp a bit.  I put a dip in the center so the rounds would glide right over into the chamber.  I painted the block and polished the feed ramp.  Without the work to the feed ramp, the rounds were being pushed up into the charging handle.

The Sten gun magazines were notched by SNS.  I originally was using a KKF block and I filed down some of the mags at the top front of them so the rounds would clear them.  I figured out that this isn’t necessary with the SNS block because of the way the feed ramp sits in front of the magazine.  

I also got some Sten mags with the follower modified.  This seems to help in loading the mags, but I couldn’t tell the difference when firing the Sten mags with or without the modification to the follower.  I also filed down the slot in the rear of the mags so the bolt would be able to strip the round better.

The final change I did, last night, was to cut down the rest of the sten mag springs.  I cut about 5-6 coils off each spring.  They loaded up a lot easier and they didn’t bind the bolt when loaded to capacity.  I was able to get 16-20 rounds in the mags.  The started to get a little tough when they were almost full, so I tapped them on the back to get them going again.

I took it out to the range this morning and tried them out.  I brought several types of ammo with me to try out (Remington 155gr HP, Federal 155 gr HP, Win Frangible 135 r, Gold Dot 165 gr HP, and Wolf 180 gr FMJ).  The Wolf ran the best because of the FMJ and the lighter recoil, with the Federal and Remington a tie for second.  

The mags worked well, but some of them still had enough pressure from being fully loaded to bind the bolt.  It only affected the bolt when I would charge the weapon.  It worked best if I locked the bolt back, inserted a mag, then released the bolt with the bolt catch.

Despite being very cold this morning, I hung around at the range long enough to fire about 700 rounds. I'm quite happy with the way it was running this morning.

Link Posted: 12/10/2005 5:30:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Great job, brushdog!

Espeically with all the work you've done to enhance the feeding reliability.

I have given a lot of thought to an AR in 9mm and after seeing one in .40, I think that would be even better.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:46:09 AM EDT
[#2]
I couldn't leave it alone so I decided to alter it a bit more.  I've wanted a midlength for a while, so I bought a RRA 9mm FSB and mid length handguards.  I drilled and tapped the FSB for set screws and removed my cast Oly FSB.  With the new set screw FSB in mid length place, I installed the handguards.  I'll probably send it in to ADCO in a few weeks to lighten the contour of the barrel and mill some 'flats' so the set screws will hold more securely.

Link Posted: 12/31/2005 11:34:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Ghetto!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
i like it, thanks for the inspiration!
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:32:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Very nicely done.  Where'd you get the birdcage hider? Considered SBR, TX NFA friendly?
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 3:56:30 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I couldn't leave it alone so I decided to alter it a bit more.  I've wanted a midlength for a while, so I bought a RRA 9mm FSB and mid length handguards.  I drilled and tapped the FSB for set screws and removed my cast Oly FSB.  With the new set screw FSB in mid length place, I installed the handguards.  I'll probably send it in to ADCO in a few weeks to lighten the contour of the barrel and mill some 'flats' so the set screws will hold more securely.

img.photobucket.com/albums/v364/Tomtx/40MIDLENGTH.jpg

Is that an NC Star on there?  And you have the front sight base held by a couple set screws that don't even interface with flats on the barrel?  IS THIS A TOOL OR A TOY!!!???
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:34:01 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Is that an NC Star on there?  And you have the front sight base held by a couple set screws that don't even interface with flats on the barrel?  IS THIS A TOOL OR A TOY!!!???

It's both!    Besides, I'm not as uber tactical as you.

Quoted:
Very nicely done.  Where'd you get the birdcage hider? Considered SBR, TX NFA friendly?

The bird cage is original to it.   I guess that it must be an older one, since the 9mm I got about 2 years ago doesn't look like that.  The barrel is 16", so it's not a SBR.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 4:58:36 PM EDT
[#8]
No no, I mean't you should SBR a lower and cut that bad boy down to 10 or12", or just past the midlength and FSB...I don't know TX law...
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:19:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Do you really use WOLF ammo in that thing?  I would never use WOLF.  It'll cause cancer or brain tumors or something.

And the only thing less reliable than an AR is an AR that runs on STENch gun mags!  Man, that thing is a total Frankenstein POS.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do you really use WOLF ammo in that thing?  I would never use WOLF.  It'll cause cancer or brain tumors or something.

And the only thing less reliable than an AR is an AR that runs on STENch gun mags!  Man, that thing is a total Frankenstein POS.

Happy new year to you too.  Sure hope next one is better than this one for you. Sounds like sour grapes to me. Lotta wars have been fought and won with far less sophistocated, out of spec gear than that.  

[Y. Sam voice]"I hates s"[end Y.Sam voice]

Get a hobby, then work on a life.
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#11]
edited: because brushdog gave the inside scoop.  i have seen more and more people getting crapped on for no  reason latley, i'm glad to hear this is not one of those cases.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2005 8:43:18 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Happy new year to you too.  Sure hope next one is better than this one for you. Sounds like sour grapes to me. Lotta wars have been fought and won with far less sophistocated, out of spec gear than that.  

[Y. Sam voice]"I hates s"[end Y.Sam voice]

Get a hobby, then work on a life.

LOL.  Melvin_Johnson is really a good guy and a close friend but he has a very dry, sarcastic sense of humor.  He's probably shoots more Wolf than anyone I know combined and is just ribbing me because he just got his team membership and can find my posts alot easier now.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 3:16:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Great.  Let no good deed go unpunished....Melvin, please disregard the flaming IM I sent (if you know how to read those yet) and try to couch the humour in a more obvious way for the intellectually challenged and normally intoxicated like us Marines.

Happy New Year. Pass the aspirin...
-P
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 4:27:56 AM EDT
[#14]
No harm, no foul!

Brush and and I have been friends for years and we often talk about things on this board.  One of the items that comes up most often is how somebody will post with a legitimate question and get ten flames before a member who wants to take the time to answer gets a chance to post.

I've been on the receiving end of this myself.  Not too long ago I bought a Carbon-15 and had a couple questions about it.  I posted on the board and got a bunch of crap from people who didn't know me or who had never owned a Carbon-15 telling me what an idiot I was for spending my money on something I wanted.  Very underwhelming experience, to say the least.  I also got badly flamed by a guy who bought a used rifle from me.  This guy's buddy told him he'd been ripped off.  This guy started flaming me and calling me all manner of bad names even though I offered to refund his money.  Turns out his friend wasn't as knowledgeable as he thought he was.  At least the guy apologized to me.  Ahh, the Internet!

And, yes, I do shoot WOLF ammo all the time in a variety of firearms.  In fact, I'm off to the range this morning to shoot in a local IPSC match.  I've got 5,000+ rounds through my single stack in less than six months and have yet to break an extractor or notice any unusual wear.  Go figure!

Happy New Year!
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:27:12 AM EDT
[#15]
You rock. Steel on target.
-P
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 5:54:29 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
[LOL.  Melvin_Johnson is really a good guy and a close friend but he has a very dry, sarcastic sense of humor.  He's probably shoots more Wolf than anyone I know combined and is just ribbing me because he just got his team membership and can find my posts alot easier now.  

Melvin_Johnson came on so strong that I figured that brushdog and Melvin must know each other --but I did kinda think maybe not in a friendly way.

That is a really nice clean setup you have there brushdog! -- I like the midlength handguards also.
Link Posted: 1/1/2006 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#17]
melvin
   i'm glad you to two are buds!  i'm also sorry to hear about your flame/troll experience.  that is why i made my second post, i hate some guy showing off his handy work or asking genuine questions get trounced on.  I to am a wolf-a-holic.  i fairly recently picked up a steyr M9 that i intend to shoot when i star 3-gunning this year.  after i finish up some WWB it'll get a straight diet of wolf.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top