Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2005 5:39:04 AM EDT

Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:10:28 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice rifle.  I got mine a few months ago.  I shot about 1000 rounds through it.  I just put the same grip on it and a slip on butt stock cover.  I have a flat top with an Eotech.  So how does that vertical grip work for ya?  I'm not sure if I'm gonna go that route or not.  I hear it helps....
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice rifle.  Any pics with the mag installed?
Link Posted: 10/10/2005 5:33:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Micheal_aos,
    Any chance you could shoot a closeup of the bolt catch/mag catch button area on your weapon? I've heard alot about this modification on the rifle, but have never been able to get a good look at it...  Also what is your impression of the TA-21?  Am looking at one of those for my future recce build...
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 2:51:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Iwas wondering if you could give a full report on how the rifle is working for you.
The usual reliability and accuracy.
Thanks
43E1P
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:56:20 AM EDT
[#5]
I took it straight from the dealer, lubed it a little, and sighted it in.

Then took it camping and shot about 500rds through it (most of them Wolf) before cleaning it the first time.

Toward the end of the 500rds, I was getting a lot of failures.  Mostly light primer strikes, but also some feeding issues.

It's a straight blowback design, so it gets dirty.  Add to that the Wolf ammo and I suspect a slightly oversize chamber and it gets REALLY dirty.

I cleaned it up and I've shot it a few more times but no real "torture tests".  I have noticed the action has "loosened up" a little, so it may have just required a little break-in.

I've got a modified Armalite M15A4 I use for 3-gun and a custom-built AR-10.  The Olympic doesn't "feel" quite the same quality.  The front-pivot of the upper / lower seems really sloppy when the takedown pin is released.  And the rear pin was a HUGE PIA to remove at first, but again it's breaking in a little.  When assembled it all feels solid.

Seating the magazines was awkward at first, but I've either figured out the technique or its gotten better on its own.  I can't insert a 33rd magazine with the bolt forward.  I think I'm going to just load them to 30rds from now on anyway.

I bought it with the factory-mounted free-floated rail system and picatinny gas-block.  Should have been about $1034 retail, as I recall.  The dealer charged me $1050+tax.

I LOVE the Accu-Point.  I used it in a 2-day carbine class and really thought it was perfect.  And I think the 1.25-4x magnification is ideal for this application.

The factory stock SUCKED.  I replaced it immediately after that initial camping weekend.  

Mike
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:06:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the pics and review.  I'm still on the fence but leaning toward getting one of these, so I'm understandably very interested in first-hand experiences posted here like this.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:29:55 AM EDT
[#7]
I received my GL9 a few months ago.  paid 800 and change a3 flat top 5.5 fs.  Atlantic Arms is even cheaper I hear (700. and change).  I run it w/ an Eotech and factory glock 33round mags.  I lubed it up, sighted it in, and shot all day long with no "weapon malfunctions" at all(1000 rounds).  I used federal p+p on paper, federal ballisti clean for steel plinkn.  Ballisti Clean rounds are weak (100 grain)so sometimes the bolt did not lock to the rear on last round.  Any other round locked to the rear everytime.  Cleaning was simple.  It shoots no differ than an ar 223.  The only thing mechanically is the bolt catch.  If you want to lock the bolt to the rear you have to pull the bolt catch out with your finger rather than push the bottom portion of the bolt catch on a 223 model.  The only thing I did not like was the cheap stock.  I will either add a butt pad or replace it.  Overall an excellent weapon.  No problems with take downpins.  Its a new gun so I expect the stiffness.  I had no problem with loading a 33 round mag with bolt closed or open.  I only load 30 rounds anyway.  If you have anymore specific questions let me know.  OLY service good and has lifetime warranty.  Other people might say different.  And yes good factories every once in awhile put out a lemon.  If you talk to them professionally and dont wine and be patient things will run smoothly.  They are a little rough around the edges with customer service in my opinion but they get the job done.  Its sounds like I'm a 100% OLY fan but I'm not.  I just like the GL9.  I like my Bushmaster 223 also.
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 7:35:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I guess if I had it to do over again, I wouldn't bother with the picatinny gas-block ($42).

Either a fixed front site "block", low-profile, or nothing.

The FIRSH rail handguard was only an additional $78 and I like the ability to hang stuff off it.  The free-floated bbl seems very accurate in my unscientific testing.

I don't have any experience with the ACE stocks.  That might have been a worthwhile $60-$70 alternative to the $225 Magpul stock.

I ordered a Troy Industries folding rear battle sight, but it hasn't arrived yet.  Still haven't figured out what front sight to order.  Once I get the iron-sights figured out, I'm probably going to swap the Armalite 1" scope mount for a LaRue SPR mount.

Mike

Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:20:34 AM EDT
[#9]
What kind of case is that?
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#10]
Eagle Discreet Case, CAR-15, khaki.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/13/2005 6:39:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I got my Oly/Glock 9mm in May and have put about 1000 rounds through it since then.  Only prob I've had was like above, not being able to insert the 33 round mags when the bolt is forward.  The first thing I did to it was to replace the shitty buttstock with a good one.  I really like mine.
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 8:34:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Anybody happen to know if the drop-in Chip McCormick "Super Match AR-15 Trigger Group" would function correctly in the K9GL?

I'm concerned the hammer might be different or something.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/16/2005 3:36:42 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't think that it takes a different hammer . .  .
Link Posted: 10/18/2005 1:27:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Awesome field reviews guys. I hope more people come out of the woodwork and fess up to owning an Oly.

I totally plan on getting one.. soon.

I have seen some pictures of the bolt catch and man... I think they probably could have put a little more thought into it but I'm still sold on the idea.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 12:02:20 AM EDT
[#15]
pathfinder74,

Could you please post those pics or email them to me offline?  I have not been able to handle/see one up close...
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 5:10:59 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
pathfinder74,

Could you please post those pics or email them to me offline?  I have not been able to handle/see one up close...

Sorry I meant to say seen... I don't have any pics. Just saw them on other threads around here.
glock223 has some very good pics though. If you ask him nicely he may post them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 5:24:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 3:39:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Just posted my Oly/Glock for sale if anyone is interested     Oly/Glock
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 3:39:47 PM EDT
[#19]
Just posted my Oly/Glock for sale if anyone is interested     LINK
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 6:27:05 PM EDT
[#20]

Link Posted: 10/19/2005 7:33:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Awesome pictures.

Good thing I really want one of these because the way that thing looks with the mag in it is just WAY weird looking.... and that mag release is all kinds of fugly and sorry looking. I really can't believe they couldn't put a little more thought into it than that... at least make it look better than a pop-riveted piece of sheet metal.

But like I said... I want one despite it's trashy appearance. And it's mostly because I like the idea of not having to buy special mags that cost a shit load, or modified mags.... when I can have mags that are from the Glock factory and will work in my G17 as well as the carbine.
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 7:42:51 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
I can have mags that are from the Glock factory and will work in my G17 as well as the carbine.

Yep, exactly.  I can mix-and-match with my Glock 34.

Mike
Link Posted: 10/19/2005 9:12:23 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Awesome pictures.

Good thing I really want one of these because the way that thing looks with the mag in it is just WAY weird looking.... and that mag release is all kinds of fugly and sorry looking. I really can't believe they couldn't put a little more thought into it than that... at least make it look better than a pop-riveted piece of sheet metal.
But like I said... I want one despite it's trashy appearance. And it's mostly because I like the idea of not having to buy special mags that cost a shit load, or modified mags.... when I can have mags that are from the Glock factory and will work in my G17 as well as the carbine.

I have to agree with everything said here - from the awesome picture comment (thanks michael_aos) to the crazy mag release modification.  All I can say is wow - there has got to be a better way to engineer that mag release mousetrap...  But for the convenience of using glock mags I may just have to get over it...

glock223 - thank you as well for the IM with the links to your pics.  I am strongly considering how to convince the wife I need one...  
Link Posted: 10/20/2005 6:02:26 AM EDT
[#24]
Is the part of the mag-release assembly that actually engages the mag to hold it in place metal or polymer?  IOW, will it gouge/wear out the engagement notch on the magazine over time?  
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 5:35:42 PM EDT
[#25]
bump
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 10:43:35 AM EDT
[#26]
This is how I modified my GL9 magazine release bar and it works great.  Real easy fix.

http://www.oa2.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3598
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:38:35 PM EDT
[#27]
I just built mine last week....  

K9GL
LRM M169 13" permanently suppressed upper
did I mention select-fire (safe, semi, auto)?

TS

Link Posted: 1/24/2006 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

K9GL

TS

www.hunt101.com/img/368913.JPG

Ok... I'll bite. How could you legally make that a full auto?
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

K9GL

TS

Ok... I'll unhook ya.  I am a Class 2 MFG.  The receiver is on a demo-letter.

TS
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 6:13:16 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
TS

What does that mean? I thought you couldn't convert new receivers into full-auto, regardless? I'm not fully versed in the area of Class 2 so I'm sure I am missing something.

Does the fact that it's a demo mean you simply can't sell it and once it has served it's demo functions it has to be destroyed or something?
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 6:58:33 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

K9GL

TS

TS

Quit rubbing it in jeez some people have no shame  

I am really thinking about one of these.  I have a question for those that have one are the stock handgaurds decent quality or are the firsh handgaurds necessary?  I am looking at the Flattop version with std 16 inch barrel
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 6:46:39 AM EDT
[#32]
The handguards that came with my GL were standard, and no heat shields.  I put a MI four rail on it now.  Go with the Firsh.  The stock some people like, IMO its cheap, hard, brittle, plastic junk.  NOt quality like a bushy or RRA.  The rifle is very nice though, very fun to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:34:15 AM EDT
[#33]
I have one of these in 9mm. Glad to see I'm not the only one with mag insertion issues. I picked mine up 5-6 weeks ago and tried 20+ G19 mags and none engaged the catch. I AM BY NO STRETCH a gunsmith but I did notice that on the mag release there is a "nipple" that looks like a pyramid with the top 2/3s cut off. This is the part that I think engages the notch in the glock mag.
I think that if that "chopped pyramid" is filed down, it would solve the mag problem. Wachall think?
I don't have the confidence to start filing down a new gun myself so I was planning on shipping it back to oly but I haven't gotten around to it yet
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 4:11:51 AM EDT
[#34]
Besides Atlantic Firearms, who stocks these?
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:23:43 AM EDT
[#35]
Olympic 9MM AR15 Rifle use Glock Mags Pre Ban
Price: $877.77
Manufacturer: OLYMPIC
Manufacturer Item #: K9GL
Impact Item #: OLY-K9GL
In stock, ships in 48 hrs.
http://www.impactguns.com/store/OLY-K9GL.html

http://www.triplebreakproducts.com/law_enforcement.htm

I ordered my GL from Virginia Arms.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top