[#2]
DAN0341
Start here -
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=15&t=241182
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:59:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 8:54:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Here's what I did: I cut the Orlite feed lips off matching the same angle of the Ciener mag.  Be careful of the wire mesh in the plastic - it is very sharp. You need to "sandwich" the Ceiner mag body between layers of cardboard. The layers of cardboard must be cut to make a TIGHT fit inside the Orlite mag body. So tight that you really have to push on it. It should be a tight fit side to side and front to back. The Orlite mags swell a bit once it has been inserted. I cut the springs down to a couple of coils so the floorplate is kept in place.

You can use a couple strips of duc tape to keep the cardboard aligned as you insert everything into the Orlite mag. I like using cardboard as it will not trap moisture against the Ciener mag and it is removeable. This works extremely well with 30 round Ciener mags. The 10 round mags do not fit as tight, but it does work well.  

Here are a couple of pics showing the different mags in the weapon.

Dan

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 9:03:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:32:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Gloftoe,
I cut the cardboard so there is a friction fit front to back and side to side.  The pics below should do a better job in explaining the technique.  The only thing securing the Ciener mag in the cardboard and Orlite mag body is friction.  Because friction is the only thing keeping the Ciener mag secured, the fit has to be EXTREMELY TIGHT front to back and side to side.  

You will need to practice.  Be prepared to cut several (maybe many) pieces of cardboard to get it right.  The first magazine you try to make may take a while.  Once you think you have it right, insert the finished mag into your rifle and don't be surprised if it doesn't fit.  Confirm where the Orlite mag is touching the mag well and modify the cardboard.  

After the first mag, you'll be able to make others much quicker.  There is a lot of trial and error, but I like to "tinker" and this was a fun project for me.  Others may think this is a waste of time.  

The following pics should provide more detail.  

Dan

Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:42:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 10:53:00 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been meaning to take pics for some time now.  Your questions finally motivated me to do it.  Good luck on the project.

Dan
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:11:36 AM EDT
[#9]
nice work!
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:07:04 PM EDT
[#10]
I am trying another route at this time.  USA steel magazines TIG welded to the Ciener mags.  I will be finishing this project next week.  So far, so good.

TS
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 11:17:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:39:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I am trying another route at this time.  USA steel magazines TIG welded to the Ciener mags.  I will be finishing this project next week.  So far, so good.

TS

Got any pics?  I think this is how Kurt at KKF does his Ciener mags.

Not yet.  I will be finishing them this week.  Remind me and I will post pics.

TS
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:58:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I actually went the route of using a 9 round Colt magazine for my adaptation with a 10 round Ciener.  I cut the top off at a point that would allow the bottom of the Ciener to almost protude from the bottom of the 9 rounder, with the seam up in the mag well, then filled the whole affair with Brownells glass bedding compound.  With the glass bedding material, I got a "mechanical lock" between the Ciener mag body and the outer Colt body.  It's been holding up well, and I have a couple of 30 rounders that I will play with when I get more time this winter.  Like Dano, if you set it up so that the bottom of the  Ciener is accessible from the bottom of the outer body, it is a snap to take the unit apart for cleaning.

Craig
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 10:41:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

TS

Best use yet for those mags.  And probably the best way to do the Ciener mags.  But not exactly a DIY job if you don't have the welder.

I have a couple of those mags lying around that somebody gave me for free.  One of these days I should try cutting them up to put on the Cieners.  The 20s will fit nicely on the 10s for bench work, but the 30s look a little odd since the Ciener 30s are longer than GI 30s.   I suppose a 40 would fit about right...
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top