Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2005 2:12:20 PM EDT
I'm thinking I should have it professionally installed?  Am I correct or is it something I should be able to do?  I don't really like the idea of drilling into my receiver.

Who would be a good person to send my receiver to in order to have the block installed.

UPDATED BELOW WITH NEW Question
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Joeblack has the factory COLT 2 piece pin holes located I think.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:38:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Alright, it looks like the total cost of the Colt adaptor and professional installation would be $192.  

The disadvantage of the Colt setup is that holes will have to be drilled in my receiver.

What are the advantages, other than it can't fall out, of the Colt setup?

Would I be better off just getting a Hahn Block?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:22:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Just a bump with a new question.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:27:00 AM EDT
[#4]
I have both setups, since my 9mm Colt receiver is SBRd, I wanted to be able to switch back and forth to a 5.56 SBR upper.  I wound up putting the Colt 2-piece back in, because it seems to be more reliable.  I use only Colt magazines, and the Hahn block gives me an occasional failure to feed.  I thought of working the feed ramp a little bit, but I think it's aluminum and cutting through the anodizing would do more harm than good.  

The Hahn block I have is the bottom-loader that uses the 5.56 catch.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:29:00 AM EDT
[#5]
I will probably use it exclusively  with 9mm.  It is an SBR but I have other SBRs to use with my 556 uppers.

How does the Colt run hollow points?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:39:53 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I will probably use it exclusively  with 9mm.  It is an SBR but I have other SBRs to use with my 556 uppers.

How does the Colt run hollow points?

Mine eats pretty much whatever I feed it.  My usual handload is a 147gr Rainier plated solid, but I have used the 147gr Rainier plated HP, too.  It gives the very occasional failure to feed with the JHP.  I have fired Winchester factory subsonic (probably 300 rounds) hollow point with no problems either.  My "carry load" is Ranger 127gr +P+, and it feeds those well too.  The Hahn block is a little more picky than the Colt, in my experience.  
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:39:21 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I thought of working the feed ramp a little bit, but I think it's aluminum and cutting through the anodizing would do more harm than good.  

Feed ramp is 01 steel with parkerized finish.  What ammo were you having FTF issues with in the Hahn block....and is it the same with the Colt?

If you do decide to grind on the feed ramp I would definately like to see some photos if you can achieve improvement.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:15:53 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm strongly leaning towards the pinned 2 piece, any dissenting opinions?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:29:52 PM EDT
[#9]
dudessss
there is absolutly no disadvantage to the pinned in mag block.
i just had m60joe pin a two piece colt block in my ameetec lower. it is awesome.i put on
a new colt6450 upper.

get a bunch of colt mags, and live happy ever after. dont play with all that other junk.
i shot 400 rounds on sunday without one glitch.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:35:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
dudessss
there is absolutly no disadvantage to the pinned in mag block.
i just had m60joe pin a two piece colt block in my ameetec lower. it is awesome.i put on
a new colt6450 upper.

get a bunch of colt mags, and live happy ever after. dont play with all that other junk.
i shot 400 rounds on sunday without one glitch.

Alright, mind made up.  I am also planning on using m60joe.  Glad to hear of your good experience.

Can't wait to get this up and running.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#11]
dude
i love mine. its my favorite. dont tell the other toys though,ha ha .
it really is awesome. i have colt upper complete,buffer,and colt 9mm mag catch.
dpms lower kit with regular hammer. ameetec lower. colt mag block.
and colt mags, i cant post pics, ill email ya one.
o yea,i got one of those colt spec car stocks from bravo company,real nice.

tons of fun. what side of pa are you from??
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:52:57 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I thought of working the feed ramp a little bit, but I think it's aluminum and cutting through the anodizing would do more harm than good.  

Feed ramp is 01 steel with parkerized finish.  What ammo were you having FTF issues with in the Hahn block....and is it the same with the Colt?

If you do decide to grind on the feed ramp I would definately like to see some photos if you can achieve improvement.

It's my handload using a 147gr Rainier plated JHP.  The Colt block feeds them flawlessly.  I may mess with it a bit, now that I know.  I can re-park it.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:56:30 PM EDT
[#13]
i have a 6450 and have over 2k almost 3k  through in the past three range trips with no problems whatsoever.

i love it
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:29:33 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
dude

Eastern side, On the boarder between Chester and Delaware counties.

So, the 9mm mag catch allows bolt hold open, right?  If I leave the standard bolt catch on, I just don't have the hold open, right?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:38:03 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:
dude

So, the 9mm mag catch allows bolt hold open, right?  If I leave the standard bolt catch on, I just don't have the hold open, right?

Correct.  And a piece of advice: if you don't want to be replacing the 9mm catch regularly, get one of Slash's Q buffers.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:48:01 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
dude

Correct.  And a piece of advice: if you don't want to be replacing the 9mm catch regularly, get one of Slash's Q buffers.

I'm running an RRA 9mm buffer right now, is the Q buffer heavier?

Do you have a link to one?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:31:54 PM EDT
[#17]
how much is this Q buffer as to a colt heavy? im not to worried about the catch.
it takes five minutes to change, i know plenty dudes that never had one break.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 12:52:50 AM EDT
[#18]
anyone have a link to this q buffer?

im running the mgi buffer but would like to see what the qbuffer is.  i have yet to have problems with my rifle but then again i only have around 2-3k through it
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top