BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2005 7:47:44 PM EDT
Which Colt STYLE top load drop in one piece mag block

Does not fit Colt mags?

But does fit RRA Uzi mags?

I have a mag block of this style that came with a slightly used upper and I just found out it won't fit Colt mags because they are too long front to back. My mag block does have the area milled out to fit the rib on the back of the Colt mags.

Strange?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:11:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like the RRA top loader.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:28:58 PM EDT
[#2]
RRA mag block doesn't fit Colt mags?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:32:39 PM EDT
[#3]
I read that the top loading one is made exclusively for use with the 25 round modified Uzi mags.  I had one and my Colt style mags did not fit.  I also had a bottom loader, all of my mags fit with no problems.  The top loader wouldn't fall out, the bottom did a few times and had more issues getting it to work right.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:50:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the issue is not the type of mags but rather whether the mag block will activate the bolt catch with a Colt mag (and the type of bolt catch used - std ot long 9mm).
Original RR blocks were  identical to Colt bottom inserted blocks. Now I no longer know as RR sold a differnt block similar to ASA for a while (or still?).
Today, I'd say the new Hahn top inserted block seems good as long as the lower is dedicated to 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:56:48 AM EDT
[#5]
On the Hahn top load block does it need to be pinned or some other semi permanent method to make it "dedicated 9mm lower" in order for it to run right?

I may try the Hahn but don't know anything about them, please advise.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:10:50 AM EDT
[#6]
http://www.hahn-precision.com
Look at the 9mm Dedicated Adaptor (Mag block) A9CSRD0405 in the Armory Section.
No pinning - just drops in (you need to remive the bolt catch to insert it)
I'd use it if I didn't already have the bottom inserted type from Colt.
I also like the fact it uses a standard bolt catch which is stronger than the extended 9mm type.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 11:52:14 AM EDT
[#7]
good to go , thanks!

Selling the RRA block in the E&E section. *BTW I found the spec from the complete upper I bought a while ago and it is in deed a new RRA mag block.

I may give the Hahn  a try.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#8]
Would somebody measure a Colt 9mm mag from front to rear including the rib on the rear please????

I don't think the mag I tried was a Colt SMG 9mm mag and now I'm passing bum scoop.

Let me know. Please!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 12:27:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
...I also like the fact it uses a standard bolt catch which is stronger than the extended 9mm type.

Can you expound further on how/why a standard bolt catch is stronger than the extended 9mm type?
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:28:32 PM EDT
[#10]
I just put together a 9mm with a RRA upper and the HAHN:
http://www.hahn-precision.com/armory/a_armory.htm

The top loader works great. It's worth the money. I first ordered the bottom loading Hahn from Brownell's and I sent it back. The top loader works great with Uzi mags from RRA but it will never hold the bolt open even with Colt mags.

BTW, I have the lower from 1ed as an SBR and it's is about to be cut down.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:34:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Is this Hahn the the top loader from Brownells that won't hold the bolt open?

If it is that one, did you have to remove the bolt catch to drop it in?

I just ordered the top loader from Brownells is why I ask. I want bolt hold open!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:42:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Well I answered my own question. I ordered the wrong damn mag block!
Brownells does not sell the "dedicated top loader". This top loader and the bottom loader hold the bolt open, but not the top loader Brownells sells.

That top loader from Brownells does not require the removal of the bolt release either.

Great! Got the what I don't need AGAIN!  I should of just waited until I got home to order after I researched it properly.
Oh well.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 9:09:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Brownells does not sell the "dedicated top loader". This top loader and the bottom loader hold the bolt open, but not the top loader Brownells sells.

That top loader from Brownells does not require the removal of the bolt release either.

Great! Got the what I don't need AGAIN!  I should of just waited until I got home to order after I researched it properly.
Oh well.

All you need for last round bolt hold open with the standard Hahn top load block is the Colt 9mm bolt catch that Brownells also sells for $20.85.  part # 160-308-101
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:38:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Kevin you are the man!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 9:59:47 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Oh well.

Brownells does carry the Hahn Dedicated Adapter.......just hasn't reached thier catalog yet....call them for info.  The Hahn Precision website has been updated and tries to describe the different features of each adapter.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:56:34 AM EDT
[#16]
There you go CARRYAGLOCK.  Brownells is very good about accepting returns, so you can send your standard top loader back for the dedicated top loader that uses the standard 5.56 bolt catch.  You will probably have to pay for the return shipping, unless you called in your order and asked for the dedicated top load block, but were shipped the standard top loader by mistake.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top