User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2005 7:42:53 AM EDT
I know a lot of folks were interested in this. link
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:17:38 AM EDT
[#1]
Assuming it goes, I'm going to buy an upper.  I just finished a quick search in the EE but didn't see any dealers listing DPMS .22 uppers.  Who has them cheap?
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:36:58 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know. I'm just going to get their conversion kit because the 60gr SSS rounds will properly stabalise out of my 5.56 barrel and I use those with the can for busting vermin.
I think it will depend on what kind of upper you want.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:00:14 AM EDT
[#3]
All my .223 uppers are 1/7, so I'm going for a whole top half.  Looking for a flat-top with a 16" free-float barrel.  DPMS lists that at $469 MSRP.  I'm hoping to knock some off the price and use the balance to thread the barrel for a suppressor...

ETA:  Cheapest I found it was $400 here.

Brownells also carries the DPMS line.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:07:23 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
All my .223 uppers are 1/7, so I'm going for a whole top half.  Looking for a flat-top with a 16" free-float barrel.  DPMS lists that at $500 MSRP.  I'm hoping to knock some off the price and use the balance to thread the barrel for a suppressor...

Check cheaper then dirt then. They had the FF one last I went there and looked around, but that was like 3 months ago.

Shooter sports center in Racine, I just remembed. But they have the whole gun, both the M4gery version and the heavy barreled FF one. I don't remember the prices though. 262.681.1040
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#5]
thats sweet
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#6]
I picked mine up from CDNN's catalog.  It was only $299 and included a cheesy scope w/ rings.  Its the 16" heavy barrel (very heavy) with FF carbine length system.  It has worked great w/ my cav lower and it was only $299... Heres a pic for reference.

Hope this helps.  Ask for Tracey if you do call CDNN, hes been great to deal with.

Edited for spelling... DOH
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:18:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Yep, CDNN Investments has a DPMS Target Upper package with a 15/16" Stainless Heavy Bull barrel, free floating handguard and "1" Tactical Mount & 6x42 Euro Scope" and one ten-round magazine for $299.99. See page 100 of their catalog #DPMBA22
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:31:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Good to see you'll finally be able to do those lifesaving MOSSY Meltdown drills, whatever they are. (I asked and nobody answered.)
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#9]
They told me last week that they were just about ready to ship.  The 1" BB (mine measures 1.000 inch on the nose) .22 LR stainless upper I got from Kiesler's (probably they got them from CDNN) has been flawless.  For S&G I put the Tubber forend on it and while I had to do a bit of milling on the end cap to make room for the bull barrel, it turned out OK; although, I cannot decide if I like it or not.  The full caps will make it a lot more fun to shoot and my only "complaint," if you can call it that, is that those full caps look kind of odd.  I would prefer them to look more like a normal AR mag but I guess with the little rimmed round you can only keep them so straight.  Oh well, 25 or 30 beats the hell out of 10 regardless of looks.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:52:56 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
my only "complaint," if you can call it that, is that those full caps look kind of odd.  I would prefer them to look more like a normal AR mag but I guess with the little rimmed round you can only keep them so straight.

I discovered another disadvantage to that when shooting Butler Creek hi-caps in my Rhineland R22. The mag curves forward so far that it makes it impossible to assume a good classic standing offhand position. To shoot the thing standing, I had to use the little Ruger factory mag in it. I just got a double-stack Ramline for it, which is half the length of the BC, so I'll have to see how that works for me.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 6:55:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I just listed mine for sale for $400, had no idea they were selling for $300, paid $382 with taxes from Kiesler's June of last year. If your interested I'll sell it to you for $300,split shipping, is listed in upper forum, has BEC 2-6 compact scope, prolly not more than several hundred rounds down tube, is like new.
Can send pics, e-mail @ [email protected]
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 4:25:30 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Good to see you'll finally be able to do those lifesaving MOSSY Meltdown drills, whatever they are. (I asked and nobody answered.)

It's one round rifle,transition to pistol fire one round and repeat. Typicly in class it's 30rds rifle 30 rds pistol. I do 60/60 or 100/100. It's to get the transition from rifle to pistol into the muscle memory.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:04:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's one round rifle,transition to pistol fire one round and repeat. Typicly in class it's 30rds rifle 30 rds pistol. I do 60/60 or 100/100. It's to get the transition from rifle to pistol into the muscle memory.

Thanks for the answer.

Sounds like a useful skill to have, but one that could be learned very well dry-fire.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 5:27:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thanks for the answer.

Sounds like a useful skill to have, but one that could be learned very well dry-fire.

It's better to do it live fire. I do do it dry fire at times, But the idea is to make the shot, transition, make the shot. There are a lot of things you are actually doing and have to make sure you do. Rifle up, safety off, sight pic, shoot, safety on, drop rifle, trasition to pistol, present pistol, get sight pic, shoot, re holster(without looking) resecure pistol in holster(without looking). It also works in a pistol reload, and if you do more then 30/30 it works in rifle reloads. I also run variations of it depending on what distances I'm shooting at. I'll run it at 3 yards, 7 yards 15 yards and 25 yards sometimes I'll go all the way out to 50 and run it. The reason I run it live is also to see how my pistol shooting is doing as well. I start the first set slow, and get faster with each additional set so I find out if I'm going to fast by watching what my pistol groups do. If they start to open up to much I know I'm going to fast and need to slow it down a bit. So there are some things that only shooting it live can tell you.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#15]
But isn't the idea to transition only after the rifle DOESN'T fire? Doesn't make sense somehow to do this drill after the rifle DOES fire.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:32:48 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
But isn't the idea to transition only after the rifle DOESN'T fire? Doesn't make sense somehow to do this drill after the rifle DOES fire.

No the idea is to get the transition down and in the muscle memory. Think of it as the round yer shooting out of the rifle is the last one in the mag. Yer over thinking the drill. It takes something like 3000 reps to start getting something burned into muscle memory so the idea is reps.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top