Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2005 7:12:47 AM EDT
I'm jumping the gun a bit here but would like to get some opinions to point me in the right direction (directions).  I am going to take the time to read the FAQs etc...  I want a reliable 9mm or 45cal. first and cost a close second.  Here is what I need.

9mm or 45cal.
This will be a dedicated lower
I want a bolt hold open on last round
being dedicated I don't mind installing extra components
Magazine availability is less important (I don't want to pay $60 plus for them though)

Cost guesstimates are welcome.   Thanks in advance for any help, Joe
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:38:04 AM EDT
[#1]
i feel that the colt rifles are best for the money if you want last round bolt hold open
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I have both 9mm and 45 ACP Oly carbines. Both are great rifles. However they do not have a last round hold bolt open feature. I like the fact you do not have to alter your lower to use the Oly uppers and with the 9mm Sten mags are cheap. I have had no function issues with either one.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:01:22 AM EDT
[#3]
www.olyarms.com/?page=m1_glock_lowers

Introducing Olympic Arms pistol caliber rifles available with Glock© style lower receivers. The lowers accept full size or larger Glock© magazines, including the high-capacity 30 round mags. Configure your upper receiver with two caliber options and two barrel types. The receivers are made by Olympic Arms in the Glock© style.

Using a straight blow-back system, the bolt will lock back after the last round is fired. With our conical shaped bolt and chambering this rifle has been proved reliable. Choose a caliber option of either 9mm or 40 S&W. Then choose the barrel type of either 11.5” with a permanently attached 5.5” flash suppressor or a straight 16” barrel. The lower receiver utilizes a standard magazine release button to release the Glock© magazine. Please specify caliber and barrel version when ordering.

Atlantic Firearms has the best price on these that I've heard of so far.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:08:34 AM EDT
[#4]
two choices

Ruger P Series

Cz 75

Nothing Else comes close for price/reliability.

TXL
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
two choices

Ruger P Series

Cz 75

TXL

Boy, someone certainly only read the title of the post and not the text...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:03:31 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
two choices

Ruger P Series

Cz 75

TXL

Anyone ever watch Carlos Mencia??  Dee dee dee...
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:05:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Joe,

I think the colt block is the only one with a LRBHO feature. the colt weapon is around $1200, but you could build a RRA style and use the colt mag block and have someone pin it in for less.

RRA 9mm upper ~ 425
complete A2 mega lower ~ 200
colt mag block ~ 150
mags 50 each

the mags are the catch to this problem. they are gonna cost ya. this is the only system I know with the LRBHO feature you want and that is about as cheap as you can get it done for.
oh ya ... I have no ideal how nuch it would cost to the mag block pinned in ... I hope this helps

IMHO although the last round bolt hold open is nice but unless you are actualy using this in a tactical situation ... you learn to feel when you are out of ammo. the bolt lock-up on an empty chamber is different and with a few hundred rounds you start to learn when that was you last shot. just to let ya know.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 12:38:45 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a RR 9mm upper and (lower to my dealer) on the way to the house.

Complete 9mm upper $410 shipped
9mm hammer $14 shipped

Complete RR lower $229 shipped (+$20 to my dealer)
RR conversion block $119 shipped (copy of the current Colt which will hold bolt open)
Colt mags $50 each

Next weekend with 1600 rounds of Blazer GLG20
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 4:15:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I have an OLY Glock 9mm rifle and it shoots great. The bolt locks to the rear on the last round.  I have Hi-cap mags that I paid less than $25.00 bucks for at botach.com.  Gunshows even cheaper.  I paid $800 and some change but I special ordered a A3 flat-top and some other stuff.  Atlantic has the best deal going, under $800.00.  If you wanna go the RRA route it might be cheaper but you gotta go with a block and change the hammer out?  The Oly Glock is my vote.  
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:28:32 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the replys

I've got some reading to do now but will check back if anyone else wants to add anything.

Thanks again,  Joe
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:49:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I hate to say it, but if you have a hard on for the bolt hold-open feature on a 9mm carbine, you might consider the Beretta Storm.  ARound $650, very ambidextrous design (can be switched to eject left or right), has a bolt hold-open feautre, 15 round mags are eveywhere for fairly cheap, and 20 and 30 round mags available, and to boot if you have a beretta you can share mags.

Just a thought...
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 5:45:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I have a RR 9mm upper and (lower to my dealer) on the way to the house.

Complete 9mm upper $410 shipped
9mm hammer $14 shipped

Complete RR lower $229 shipped (+$20 to my dealer)
RR conversion block $119 shipped (copy of the current Colt which will hold bolt open)
Colt mags $50 each

Next weekend with 1600 rounds of Blazer

GLG20

have you shot it with blazer or are you planning to?

had one of the other guys in the hometown forum tell me it might not be powerful enough to cycle.

would like to know cause that would lower fun time cost a bit
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:15:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Still waiting on Eagle and RB to get me the upper and lower. Big gunshow this weekend so I may be too broke to buy gas to get to the range!GLG20
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 4:01:30 PM EDT
[#14]
WARNING:  DO NOT USE ALUMINUM CASED PISTOL AMMO (i.e. CCI Blazer) IN A PISTOL CALIBER CARBINE!

You will have tons of problems- most common are the extractor claw ripping through the rim followed by the less common (but scarier) bulged or cracked cases.  There is even a warning on the box not to use it in pistol caliber longarms.  I tried it myself once and found out the hard way by having to extract several torn cases with a screwdriver.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
WARNING:  DO NOT USE ALUMINUM CASED PISTOL AMMO (i.e. CCI Blazer) IN A PISTOL CALIBER CARBINE!

You will have tons of problems- most common are the extractor claw ripping through the rim followed by the less common (but scarier) bulged or cracked cases.  There is even a warning on the box not to use it in pistol caliber longarms.  I tried it myself once and found out the hard way by having to extract several torn cases with a screwdriver.

thanks for the heads up
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:46:47 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

You will have tons of problems- most common are the extractor claw ripping through the rim followed by the less common (but scarier) bulged or cracked cases.  There is even a warning on the box not to use it in pistol caliber longarms.  I tried it myself once and found out the hard way by having to extract several torn cases with a screwdriver. hr

I am not saying you did not have issueswith your weapon but none of the 34 boxes of 9 or the 6 boxes of 45acp have the warning. Did some research and all I have come up with is that Blazer is not to be used in open bolt weapons.

Called Rock River and they said I may have no problrms with Blazer. Talked to the engineer that first put together the orignal 9mm uppers for Rock River. They had a 3-4% with the rim issue.   Got the impression that they had to tweak the buffer weight.

Have several friends that have Beretta Storms and they have fired thousands of rounds of Blazers with no issues at all.

I don't know when you last tried Blazers but they may been have re-engineered the round.

Regards
GLG20
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 5:43:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I am not saying you did not have issueswith your weapon but none of the 34 boxes of 9 or the 6 boxes of 45acp have the warning. Did some research and all I have come up with is that Blazer is not to be used in open bolt weapons.

Called Rock River and they said I may have no problrms with Blazer. Talked to the engineer that first put together the orignal 9mm uppers for Rock River. They had a 3-4% with the rim issue.   Got the impression that they had to tweak the buffer weight.

Have several friends that have Beretta Storms and they have fired thousands of rounds of Blazers with no issues at all.

I don't know when you last tried Blazers but they may been have re-engineered the round.

Regards
GLG20

I had a Ruger PC4 and the instruction manual said not to use aluminum cased ammunition due to rupturing and bulging. They never specified a specific brand, just aluminum cased ammo.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 11:57:38 PM EDT
[#18]
I used Blazer in my Semi Uzi with no case problems..  I think the problem is with open bolt guns.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 6:32:41 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I used Blazer in my Semi Uzi with no case problems..  I think the problem is with open bolt guns.

what i was thinking too.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:20:47 PM EDT
[#20]
Regarding CCI Blazer per Ernest Durham, CCI centerfire manufactuering engineer. He knows of no warning regarding CCI Blazer in a carbine. He personnally has fired thousands of rounds in both a Colt semi and full auto without any issues. He has heard of people experiencing the rim being pull off a case, but he has no knowledge of thr circumstances surrounding any particular event . I was told to blast away. I should have my 9mm buffer in a few days and intend to give it a go and will report any negative    
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 1:53:20 PM EDT
[#21]
i went and bought some brass cased cci blazers and when i went to the indoor range with my 9mm carbine they saw the "blazer" on the box and stopped me.

for whatever reason they got a closer look and said it was ok since it was the brass ones.

they have witnessed the alum casing problem as well since they do rent out a full-auto colt 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Indoor ranges I have been to, want their customers to shoot brass as they keep the empties. They hate weeding out the steel and alum cases.  As for their full auto Colts not running with Blazer mmmmmmmmm maybe its $$$$ in sales for brass cased ammo.

GLG20        
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:35:08 PM EDT
[#23]
I have 3 Colt 9MM AR's.  Blazers will not function on 2 of them,  FTE.   I turned the third one into a 22 LR for my son.

I used up all my Blazer ammo by letting my friends shoot them out of my SIG 229 and Glock 17.

I will never use Blazer ammo on a 9MM AR.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#24]
One of the guys at work told me that Academy Sports has Blazer for $4 a box.  I might have to go get a case.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 10:16:21 PM EDT
[#25]
i used the brass cased blazer and though i felt the power difference in the recoil it functioned fine in my colt.

i got it for a little less than $4 at wally world before tax but i have since found win 50rd boxes at academy for $4.90 which comes out much cheaper than $11 something for the 100rd bulk packs at wally world
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#26]
No reason to shoot blazer when you can get brass ammo for about the same price.
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 10:12:05 AM EDT
[#27]
FYI, my Rock River magwell insert activates the BHO just fine.  And I didn't have to pin it in.  It uses a hex key and tightens up.

I'm not sure how long they've been making this type, but I got mine about six months ago and it works like a champ.

The biggest problem with these is magazines.  Colt is really proud of their mags.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top