Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/5/2005 5:26:24 AM EDT
I have read the faq at the top of the page, but I have some more questions that need answering before I take this plunge.  

First off I am leaning towards the Oly system for it's (to me) simple design.  If I udnerstand right I just snap it onto my lower, throw in the magblock conversion, put in a sten mag and I am good to go.  Am I correct in this?

Okay now for the RRA upper.  With this setup I have to do a few things before I put it on my lower.  First I have to buy a new hammer and a new buffer, is this correct?  Also I have to buy a mag block conversion plus some uzi mags.  Then after this I am ready to go...right?

My other question is does anyone have any experience with the Polymer 9mm AR-15 mags for the Colt system.  Do these work?

Finally, why is the RRA system cheaper initially than the Oly Arms.

Thanks for the help as I intend on buying one or the other by the end of the week.

Blake
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 5:38:35 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I have read the faq at the top of the page, but I have some more questions that need answering before I take this plunge.  

First off I am leaning towards the Oly system for it's (to me) simple design.  If I udnerstand right I just snap it onto my lower, throw in the magblock conversion, put in a sten mag and I am good to go.  Am I correct in this?

Yes, you are.  Get a mag loader for those Sten mags. You'll need it.  

Okay now for the RRA upper.  With this setup I have to do a few things before I put it on my lower.  First I have to buy a new hammer and a new buffer, is this correct?  Also I have to buy a mag block conversion plus some uzi mags.  Then after this I am ready to go...right?

That is my understanding as well.  I'm sure one of the guys who has a RRA 9mm upper will chime in.

My other question is does anyone have any experience with the Polymer 9mm AR-15 mags for the Colt system.  Do these work?

I've heard that the early ones had some issues, but that the newer models work alot better.

Finally, why is the RRA system cheaper initially than the Oly Arms.

Don't have a clue.

Thanks for the help as I intend on buying one or the other by the end of the week.

Blake

What ever style you get, they are a lot of fun.  I hope I was some help to you.

Vulcan94

Link Posted: 9/5/2005 6:59:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Also, with the RRA system do you have to have a magblock to use the pro-mags?

And thanks for the repy vulcan.

Blake
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 7:51:11 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Blake

Yes
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#4]
I've had both the RRA and the Oly system. My RRA had a pinned in block setup for Sten mags. It did not have the bolt hold open feature. It was a homebuilt that purchased off  of another member here. The Sten mags were notched to use the standard AR mag release.

RRA
Pros:  no blocks to fall out. Mags are CHEAP! Accurate and fun to shoot. Used same mag release.

Cons: It was a dedicated lower, and couldn't use it as a backup.

...sold it to get an Oly Glock carbine...that never materialized.

Oly Upper with block.
Pros: A standard lower with no mods needed. Can be used with any other upper. Uses Sten mags with no mods with a cheap block. Mags are cheap. Accurate, fun.

Cons: Don't really know of any off the top of my head....
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 1:52:27 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Blake

Your Welcome!

Whatever system you pick, you will really enjoy having a 9mm AR.  They are really lots of fun to shoot.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Okay now for the RRA upper.  With this setup I have to do a few things before I put it on my lower.  First I have to buy a new hammer and a new buffer, is this correct? Not necessarily. I bought a stripped lower from RB Precision and had them install the lpk. The hammer installed was the same as the 9mm and DPMS hammer. Check your hammer before buying one. As for a buffer, if you have an A2 stock and not a carbine stock, the rifle buffer will be fine. It's only slightly lighter than the 9mm buffer. If you have a carbine stock then you will need the 9mm buffer. Also I have to buy a mag block conversion plus some uzi mags.  Then after this I am ready to go...right?

Blake

HTH

Like Vulcan said "Whatever system you pick, you will really enjoy having a 9mm AR. They are really lots of fun to shoot."

Whisky19
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:44:47 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the replies guys...I think I only have one more question.

What would be a good optic for plinking around with the 9mm AR?  I don't want it to break me, so something in a moderate price range.  Is there a generic Eotech, kind of like the Tac-Point is to an Aim-Point?

Thanks.

Blake
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:55:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Bushnell Holosights are made by Eotech.  The difference is that they don't have the Aluminum cover.

I think there was a used one on the EE for $160 a few days ago.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top