Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2005 8:12:39 PM EDT
Are any of the 16" barrel .22 uppers capable of being as accurate as a 10/22?  Can you use something like a Jewell trigger with one of these uppers?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:32:57 PM EDT
[#1]
My Kuehl Precision Firearms upper is hella accurate, more than my 10/22's.  I get match grade accuracy out of it.  However, it won't beat a full tilt tricked out dedicated 10/22 match rifle with all the bells and whistles.

ETA:  I'm using a KAC Match trigger with mine
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:40:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to have a heavy barrel DPMS which I suspect  had the potential to be match quality , I could go head to head with my anshutz with match ammo and high power high dollar scopes on both . I was testing out to 100 yards . The DPMS will not at all work with the jewell trigger. I ended up with the RRNM that I had some kind of aftermarket spring . The trigger was down around 2 3/4 lb and fairly clean . This gun would pull some unreal groups but it really was a battle to break the trigger and a certain number of shots were called as flyers due to the trigger . Some folks were talking up the Jard triggers in the DPMS but I never got around to trying it . I can not imagine getting an AR type trigger that would have the balls to set off a rimfire round that would be anywhere comparable to the anshutz trigger or some of the better 10/22 setups.
I believe the better 10/22 triggers are down around 1 3/4 lb and the jewell (when used in a .223) is near that but the anshutz can run down below that quite a bit . When you are prone  all strapped in with a good sling and shooting jacket shooting at 100 yd (or all blocked up with good sandbags on a steady bench ) the trigger is the difference between night and day.
My anshutz with a good batch of eley red (the new 10X) will hold little 10 shot knots of about 5/8 or 3/4" on  days I can out think the wind . The DPMS could nearly hold this except I was calling 2 or 3 shots "out" in each group of ten due to the less than great trigger .
In short- the trigger is the thing .
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#3]
My 16" DPMS .22 is more accurate than either of my stock 10/22s.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 2:29:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies.  Yeah, I guess I should've been a little more specific, I meant a tricked out 10/22.  I have a 10/22 deluxe that I guess is much pre-lawsuit days trigger-wise.  A friend had a stainless model and I couldn't figure out if the safety was on or not, the trigger must have been 10 lb. and creepy as hell.  The DPMS sounds promising, the trigger on my SP1 lower isn't too bad, but it's not exactly the Canjar on my 40X either.  Or as good as a properly tweaked 700 for that matter!
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:09:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Don't discount the ability of a JARD trigger to approach your requirements for "match".  I had one on my QCB lower, and only changed it out due to wanting a more durable trigger.  I could not bring myself to loctite the set screw on the hammer, as I want to be able to remove it in the field without grief.  This screw does loosen with shooting (of course I use mine with 22's, 556's and 458's), and if you have everything set real close, it will start to cause the trigger/sear to do funny things.  If you are OK with periodically checking the hammer set screw, you would be good to go.  With the other screws set, you can get the JARD into very scarey territory.  

I never put it on a scale, but I have a good friend who is a LEO sniper, and the trigger always scared him, how light it broke.  Way lighter than his tricked out Remington in 308.  This was with the original factory springs that are heavier than the other ones in the kit that JARD sells.  Never put those in.  I will say that with the lightened hammer, I did have to get creative with the springs and firing pins in both the Ciener and M261.

Unfortunately, I took the JARD out before I got my FA( Kuehl?)  dedicated upper.  With my standard FCG with the "15 minute trigger job", I can easily put 10 rounds of Eley 10-X into one very small ragged hole at 50 yards from the bench.  And the 15-Minute trigger is miles from where I could set my JARD.

With my dedicated upper, I would say that I am at the limit of accuray only based on my trigger.  Still haven't decided on where to go with the trigger, but my dedicated upper is running way ahead of me, at this point.

Craig
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:31:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a DPMS 16in SS bull barrel upper, have not shot many through it, but on my stock Colt lower, it was plenty accurate, and I never fired any match type ammo thru it. Have a BEC 2-6X compact scope on it, but have not zeroed yet.
By the way, it is for sale if interested, don't have it advertised yet.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:29:09 AM EDT
[#7]
        On rereading this post a couple things come to mind . With the dedicated uppers the trigger is one of the limiting factors but most of these uppers seem crazy accurate.
         Being rimfire , ammo is also going to be a huge factor and what works for one gun isn't going to work for another. This factor includes guns of the same make and model. Some guys swear by bulk ammo like dyna-points and others have had nasty results.
         After selling off my DPMS upper I bought a Ciener just to blast with,never expecting anything better than fair accuracy . (how can a bullet jumping 2"+ to the rifleing that has the wrong twist and barrel size work at all ? )  Many of the bulk ammo's such as Dynapoints and REM golden shoot 2 or 3" at 75ft  but I am amazed at what some of the match ammos will do. With many of the standard velocity ammo (match type) I can get  10 shot groups in the range of 1" to 1 1/4" at 50yards over the sandbags at a good bench with a good scope. This is in any of my three 1/9 twist bushmaster factory uppers .This is about as good as my 10/22 target model with some add on stuff. The ceiner actually shoots a wider range of ammo better than the Ruger.
         The dedicated uppers will blow this away but for any kind of hand held shooting it is way into the"what does it matter" range. I enjoy being able to throw the ciener into whatever type of AR I feel like shooting that day,it works with any type and size AR I own . The 30 round mags are a complete joy even if they cost nearly $60 . When I had the DPMS I never could find a decent way to clean the mags,this becomes an issue as blowback rimfires throw all kinds of junk right at the mag . The Ciener mags have a baseplate that slides right off then everything slides out and can be cleaned proper .
         Did I mention I like my Ciener?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top