Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/14/2005 1:59:32 AM EDT
I am buying a 9mm AR very shortly and have some questions about magazines. I really performance of the 9mm out of a carbine. They are light, ammo is cheap and 147grn JHPs have some serious snort out of a carbine. It was my understanding that Colts, or similar models, use a propritary Colt magazine which is simliar to an Uzi mag, and that it was possible to modify an Uzi magazine to make it compatible. I belive the Colt 32 round magazines sell for around 50.00,

which is more than I am willing to pay as I compulsively buy magazines. Uzi magazines seem to be very reasonable, but how involved is the modification process and does it make the magazine less reliable after being altered? It seems to me, that the Olympic which takes the 33 round

Glock magazines may be an even better idea. The mags are cheap, widely availble and have excellent reliability. I have "fighting" rifles, so for this role buying an Olympic doesn't confront me at all, especially since it will be considerable cheaper and have a lifetime warranty. I have a line on a Colt a friend is selling, but I am unsure about the magazine situation. I would rather not have another Mini 14 GB situation where the only way I can exploit the reliability potential of the

weapon is to buy factory magazines at a premium price. If the modification to Uzi magazines isn't extensive, complex or compromising then that is probabaly an solution. But as I see it right now, the Olympic which takes Glock magazines is the best choice. What do you think? Any insight, suggestions or experience?
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 5:30:23 AM EDT
[#1]
The Colt mags will hold the bolt open after the last shot, while the modified UZI mags will not.  Other than that, the UZI-derived mags work fine and are readily available at a reasonable price.

The conversion consists of a slot in the side of the mag to accept the AR-style mag catch.  It's not hard to do, but the mags usually have that done already.

Also, Pro Mag is producing plastic magazines which are available for around 15-20 dollars.  They work well and also hold the bolt open.

If you go Colt, you also have the option of using drums.  Either the Beta mag or the modified Suomi drums.  Now THAT'S fun!
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:22:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Buy the Colt. Spend the money for some Colt mags. Shit U only live once, buy the original design, COLT. The resale Value down the road is great on these too. I would not buy OLY I have seen to many problems with there QC. It your money.  OLY rifles dont take 100 round mags like the Colt designs do.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:42:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I've got one of the Oly/Glock carbines that accept the factory Glock magazines.  I bought it because of the abundance of reliable, cheap, inexpensive Glock magazines.  I have no complaints about the carbine at all.  It has run flawlessly for 500+ rounds now.  The only problem that I have had is one Glock 33 round magazine had to be slightly modified (mag catch "widened) and it now runs perfect.

I am very pleased with my Oly/Glock purchase and would highly recommend it.  I got it from atlantic firearms which is a sponsor of this site.  atlanticfirearms.com

Atlantic had the best price by far of any place else I looked, I belive their price was $789.00 plus shipping.  They stay very busy so don't get discouraged if it takes a day for Blain to return your phone call/email.

Over and out . . .
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:39:20 AM EDT
[#4]
i thought about this one long and hard!

it was a toss up with the oly/glock setup and the colt/rra setup

lets just say i will have a colt 6450 on the way this week
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Im biased towards the Oly style setup using STEN mag... if you don't use colt factory mags... you're using uzi mags w/o lsbho.... which is then the same as the Oly style......where you can purchase MORE mags for the same as you would a uzi or way more than a colt.  

10 to 1.. colt vs. OLY problems when it comes to pistol caliber carbines and rifles....don't take my word for it.... read the threads and check the archives here on AR15.com

I know people are gonna start talking trash about STEN mags ... so I'll address that right now..... STEN mags are 60+ years old, made under wartime conditions, by various mfg's.. and ... they are still going strong !!!!   I have yet to experience a serious mag related failure using STEN mags.  The metal is twice as thick as uzi or crap....ooppsss I mean colt mags... you won't see the majority of those colt mags 60 years down the road still functioning like STENs.

Cheap=low quality/thin wall= Colt mags

Inexpensive=low cost/thick wall= STEN mags

Would you rather have 1 flimsy mag or 10 robust mags ???

Go with the Oly style  

PS> Drum mags can be had for the Oly style as well..... couple mfg's out there doing conversions
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:04:40 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
The Colt mags will hold the bolt open after the last shot, while the modified UZI mags will not.

That is incorrect. Uzi mags can be modified to actuate the BHO function. M60 Joe does the mod.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:07:02 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
you're using uzi mags w/o lsbho

See my previous post. Uzi mags can be modified to actuate BHO.

While you are entitled to your opinion, the Colt mags are still built very well. They are a heck of lot more robust than a USGI 5.56mm mag by far.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:08:51 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Im biased towards the Oly style setup using STEN mag... if you don't use colt factory mags... you're using uzi mags w/o lsbho.... which is then the same as the Oly style......where you can purchase MORE mags for the same as you would a uzi or way more than a colt.  

10 to 1.. colt vs. OLY problems when it comes to pistol caliber carbines and rifles....don't take my word for it.... read the threads and check the archives here on AR15.com

I know people are gonna start talking trash about STEN mags ... so I'll address that right now..... STEN mags are 60+ years old, made under wartime conditions, by various mfg's.. and ... they are still going strong !!!!   I have yet to experience a serious mag related failure using STEN mags.  The metal is twice as thick as uzi or crap....ooppsss I mean colt mags... you won't see the majority of those colt mags 60 years down the road still functioning like STENs.

Go with the Oly style  

PS> Drum mags can be had for the Oly style as well..... couple mfg's out there doing conversions

I have a Colt style 9mm carbine, utilizing Sten mags.  I built it during the ban, when Sten mags were the WAY cheap alternative.  Runs 100%, but I HATE loading those bastards (and I have one of those brass ring loaders too).  

They need to make a Sten LULA
Link Posted: 8/19/2005 8:05:17 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Go with the Oly style  

I have a Colt style 9mm carbine, utilizing Sten mags.  I built it during the ban, when Sten mags were the WAY cheap alternative.  Runs 100%, but I HATE loading those bastards (and I have one of those brass ring loaders too).  

What?!  Your Sten mag isn't broken in yet?  Means you have to go shoot more 9mm out of it!
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:25:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Despite the price, the Colt 9mm mags are well worth the money - they fit and work much better than any other adapted mag.
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 5:37:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Unfortunely, a LULA type loader won't work on a STEN mag.  Having to load the STEN mag is the only thing I don't like about my Oly 9mm carbine.

Vulcan94
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 1:30:47 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

i think the colt mags are very sturdy built.  i would not call tehm thin.  my 20's are preaty heafty.  i would not buy any system other than a colt when it comes to 9mm.  now teh 9mm poly mags are another story.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2005 4:59:12 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i think the colt mags are very sturdy built.  i would not call tehm thin.  my 20's are preaty heafty.  i would not buy any system other than a colt when it comes to 9mm.  now teh 9mm poly mags are another story.  

i too think that my colt mags are well built and not "thin walled", very solid mags
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 8:44:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

For $15 its hard to beat those poly mags for range work. I have a handful and have had ZERO troubles with them. I do know the first gen of these that came out had some serious issues. The ones out now seem to run great. I know 2 other guys here in town that use them in fa guns and havent had any issues yet. I ordered a bunch more the other day after watching 4 mag dumps wih no failures.

There are 6 colt mags in my safe and had I not got them in trade I would not buy any! $50 for that mag is just too damm much! I know they are solid, I know they are good mags, I know I know I know....but the the price is just too high when there are alternitives out there that work just fine. I would rather buy Uzi mags and have them cut! I do like that 40 round contract mag!!!
CH
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 10:39:46 PM EDT
[#15]
yeah they are pricey but the way i look at it, its much cheaper than it was during the ban

i think i might have to try some of those promags and see how they do.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top