Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/11/2005 12:30:17 PM EDT
I have posted here many times about how well Dynapoints shot in my 1:12 barrel (very consistent 3/8" groups at 25 yards). It seemed that it took a bit of break-in or barrel seasoning for the groups to tighten up like that. I tried a second barrel and shot 8 groups. These went from almost 3/4" in size down to about 1/2" (I don't have them in front of me) by the eighth.

Today I got to shoot Dynapoints in a third 1:12 barrel. I shot 17 5 shot groups, scoped and benched, from 25 yards. These measured, in order:

.187 (not a typo--that's five shots in .187)

As you can see there is a definite downward trend in group size there. I'll bet with another hundred rounds through it this barrel will also be consisently shooting sub .5" groups at 25 yards.

With good results from three different 1:12 barrels now (a surplus M16A1, a Colt SP1, and this one a surplus USAF), I think it's safe to say that these barrels like Dynapoints.

I also shot 16 groups with the Federal Walmart Bulks with not such good results. From my first barrel, group size on these went from almost two inches to a fairly consistent 3/4". This barrel also started out putting the Fed Bulks into almost 2", but at the end of 16 groups was still giving several groups over 1". In fact only 3 of the 16 groups were UNDER 1", the best being a .656. This barrel doesn't seem to like the Fed Bulks at all. (Fed Bulks will generally shoot into 5/8-3/4" in most of my other .22 rifles).

I finished off the day with two quick 10-shot groups of Dynapoints using the iron sights from the bench at 25 yards. Both of these groups went a bit over an inch but the best seven shots in each went into .505 and .472. Blame my old eyes. I think this combination is good enough to practice offhand with, anyway!
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top