Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/8/2005 3:30:58 PM EDT
I have been toying with the idea of a 9mm upper for my registered Group Industries lower for a while now.  I have lurked, scanned, and read the FAQ's here and other places and thought I had made a decision.  Then I talked to people and now I am back where I started.

I had decided on an Oly upper and mag-block because of the ability to use unaltered Sten magazines and trigger slap issues.  I found a new Oly upper (16" bbl, complete), buffer, bolt carrier, bolt, block, 1 mag package for $650.

I also found a new RRA upper with bolt and carrier for $540.  Everything else is extra.

I was told that the Oly using unaltered mags has functioning problems because the mags can fit loose.  The goal is, of course is to have a smooth running gun with as little tweeking as possible.

Anyone with solid experience?  Opinion?  Ideas?  Suggestions?
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 5:19:23 PM EDT
[#1]
i would go with the colt/ rra setup.  mags are relativly cheap now for original colt smg mags.  i paide $100 each for mine back in the day but they were worth it.    I dont see any need not to go with the colt type withe hte mag ban over
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 4:08:40 AM EDT
[#2]
I'd suggest the RRA as well.  You'll be doing alot of mag reloading with an SMG and the STEn mags were invented by the Devil himself.  Colts are easier to load at the range, especially if you bump the bottoms on something softish.  My setup is RRA upper with ramped bolt, Hahn top-loading mag block and Colt magazines.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 7:05:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 12:20:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Bookhound, I've only used the Hahn top-loading block.  It drops right in and works 100% with Colt mags, I don't even adjust the tension pin.  The bolt does not hold open after the last round but it doesn't bother me a bit.  My AR is a toy, it sits in a case with all the bits for a full day of shooting fun in 223, 9x19 and .22LR, all of which are cheap to shoot.

My barrel is turned down and threaded for a Reflex suppressor and I use a DIAS as well.  I used to get get noticable trigger slap but ramping the bolt and reprofiling the disconnector (where the hammer was hitting) has cured the problem.  I'm very happy with the entire setup, shouldn't have to spend any more money until something breaks.

Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:54:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes the RRA set up has run flawless with Colt mags and Beta.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:17:07 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Yes the RRA set up has run flawless with Colt mags and Beta.img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/M4-TUNA/DSC00317.jpg

where did you get a phantom for the 9mm?

if it was worked on who did it for you?

thanks
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:21:03 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yes the RRA set up has run flawless with Colt mags and Beta.img.photobucket.com/albums/v370/M4-TUNA/DSC00317.jpg

where did you get a phantom for the 9mm?

if it was worked on who did it for you?

thanks

A local smith bored the Phantom for the bullet to past and he threaded my Barrel for the 223. I know it could be bad if someone changes it back with 223 FS but the gun is mine for along time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:38:38 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 1:28:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I'm currently using an Oly Upper on an RRA lower with sten mags and haven't had any issues. Mag fit was loose with my CAV. Mk.II lower using the block. I had a RRA/Colt style combo before this one. It worked pretty good, but the Oly seems to be more reliable.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top