Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/2/2005 8:07:47 AM EDT
    I was wondering if anyone can recommend a brand of 9mm upper.  I checked out RRA, but, instead of supplying a complete upper already put together, they want you to buy a 'standard-chambered' AR, them buy a bunch of parts to make the conversion.  And I have seen ads for Vulcan uppers, but don't know anything about their quality or reliability.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

S4F

Link Posted: 8/2/2005 8:07:09 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 12:42:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I think you will have more luck in the pistol caliber forum...

Looks like it's been moved.

Quoted:
I checked out RRA, but, instead of supplying a complete upper already put together, they want you to buy a 'standard-chambered' AR, them buy a bunch of parts to make the conversion.

RRA sells complete upper halves: 9mm CAR A4 Upper Half.  But since they're Colt-pattern uppers they require some changes to the lower from a regular .223 lower, and of course mag blocks in the lower.

Oly Arms also makes 9mm upper halves that are a different style and use different mags.  As far as I know the Oly-pattern uppers do not require any changes to a standard .223 lower.  They don't require mag blocks if you use the expensive Oly-modified mags, or you can buy mag blocks and use super-cheap unmodified mags.

I believe both RRA and Oly make complete rifles as well as the upper halves, but I've heard they're not shipping at RRA yet.  Check out the 9mm AR FAQ threads tacked in this forum (Rimfire & Pistol Caliber) for more specific information on the two types and what works with what.
Link Posted: 8/2/2005 1:45:29 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought an olympic 9mm upper from AROWNERAGAIN that seems to rock balls.  Im not a big fan of olympic but it goes bang every time and is reasonably accurate.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 2:07:30 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 for Oly.

Mine goes bang every time.

Max
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:03:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for all of the inputs.  I guess I need to check out RRA some more.  The last time I looked at their website, they weren't offering any complete rifles in 9mm.  Now I see that they are, or will be, by late 2005.  I found a bunch of Sten mags that I was hoping I could use in the 9mm setup, but RRA uses converted UZI mags at five times the cost of the Sten mags - as usual for me.

Does anyone know anything about Vulcan brand rifles?

S4F

Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:10:49 AM EDT
[#6]
I have both the RRA upper and a Colt 9mm. I highly recomend the RRA if you are on a buget.  The barrel is not crome lined, but overall very nicly made. They also give you the option of a A3 or A2 type upper.  Stay away from vulcan!! Oly So/So. They work. But fit and finish is not all that great. If you want the best go with a colt. Check out  the equipment exchange I got a very good deal on my RRA upper there. Also the Colt or uzi mag a both much more reliable and a lot easer to load than the single position sten mags.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 7:22:34 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I found a bunch of Sten mags that I was hoping I could use in the 9mm setup, but RRA uses converted UZI mags at five times the cost of the Sten mags - as usual for me.

An Oly 9mm upper can use the Sten mags unmodified if you get a mag block.  Or see the tacked thread Sten mags in a Colt 9mm system.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top