Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2005 12:13:57 PM EDT
After some thinking I decided to build my own 9mm ar15, after the whole oly arms debacle (still waiting for my $...).

Anyways, I have ordered most of the parts I need.  I am going the RRA style route.
On RRA's site they say that a 9mm buffer is needed, so:
1) What does the buffer do?
2) Do I really need it?

ty
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 1:35:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Depends.

Most people that have the 9mm setup have a collapsing stock.  In that case you need a 9mm buffer.  Take out carbine buffer put in 9mm buffer.  The 9mm buffer is heavier than the carbine buffer.  Since it is a blowback system more energy is forced back vs AR15 which is a gas system.  Even w/ a 9mm buffer the recoil is more noticeable in the 9mm carbine than in a rifle mode.

If you have an A2 stock then you can probally live with it.  Some people change it.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:56:03 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Depends.

Most people that have the 9mm setup have a collapsing stock.  In that case you need a "9mm" buffer.  Take out std carbine buffer (@2.9oz) put in 9mm buffer.  The 9mm buffer is heavier than the carbine buffer.  Since it is a blowback system more energy is forced back vs AR15 which is a gas system.  Even w/ a 9mm buffer the recoil is more noticeable in the 9mm carbine than in a rifle mode.

If you have an A2 stock then you can probably live with it.  Some people change it.

The  ""9MM""  buffer is a CAR  style buffer that weighs very slight bit more than  the std A2 rifle buffer (5.6oz vs 5.1oz).....

I prefer the std rifle stock, but due to my running a suppressor, I took and gutted my buffer body and installed a machined brass dowel to fit inside,  bringing the weight to 7.0oz, this provides a delay in the opening, and reduce the amount of debris I get from the port.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top