BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/30/2005 12:46:38 PM EDT
hello all
i want to build a 9mm carbine.
who permanantly pins in the mag block?, i have a bushmaster lower that needs a home.

where can i get a 9mm parts kit?
thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
hello all
i want to build a 9mm carbine.
who permanantly pins in the mag block?, i have a bushmaster lower that needs a home.

where can i get a 9mm parts kit?
thanks

I would think that you could pin the mag block yourself.  If by parts kit you mean an upper and mag block then, Olympic, Colt, Rock River, Vulcan, ASA all make said kits.

Colts are harder to come by, and at a price.
Rock Rivers can be bought at thier site..... www.rockriverarms.com
Olympics can be had at.... www.olyarms.com/
Vulcans.... www.vulcanarmament.com

I've owned them all, and in my opinion the Olympic is best for a couple reasons,  Sten mags are cheap and abundant...compare 5 dollars to 50 dollar colt mags.  The mag blocks only cost in the 50-70 dollar range.  They work just as fine as the others if you keep them clean, and can cost quite a bit less than the Colt/RRA styles.

The colts are very nice quality and nearly identical to RRA 9mm's.  Both of them are very nice systems.  A complete RRA system minus lower will run probably around 600-700 bucks.  You can find a used 6430 or 6450 upper for about 700-800.  These systems use mod. uzi mags and "pined" type mag blocks.  You can also use a friction style mag block, one that installs either fron the top or bottom and uses set screws to hold it in tight in the mag well.  Either way works fine.

If you need any other help with buying a 9mm let me know, I've got some experiance with pretty much all the manufacturers and would be happy to help you with anything you need.

Matt
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 1:32:16 PM EDT
[#2]
wow  that was alot of info
thanks
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:32:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:42:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Kurt Wala at KKF and M60Joe both pin in the mag blocks.  However, they also have a method where by thet put a screw through the front of the magwell into the mag block.  Much easier for maintenance.

As I stated in another thread, colt blocks can be had from: http://www.autoweapons.com/photos/accys/colt.html

They cost $275.00, but are worth every penny, IMHO.  If you can't aford to be f**king around with the gun all the time trying to make it run, spend the bucks and never look back.

Also get the bolt ramped/weighted and a Q buffer.  Lastly, use real colt mags and you will have a good system that will let you shoot, not dick around with it.  AND, the KAC trigger is a very nice upgrade that works with the 9mm bolt without modification.

Have a nice Navy day,

Mike
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 7:00:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Try JT distributing for a Colt Block. Only 150 bucks. They work great.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 8:44:18 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Try JT distributing for a Colt Block. Only 150 bucks. They work great.

+1. Autoweapons.com overprices almost every single thing they sell.

Having the mag block affixed into the mag well with a screw is a great way to go. I used blue Loctite on mine for insurance but it can easily be removed with a little heat from a hair dryer.

I agree that getting the bolt ramped is a good idea, even for a semi-auto gun.

Regarding the use of a "Q" buffer, I do not think this buffer is necessary if your mag block actuates the standard 5.56mm bolt catch as opposed to the 9mm bolt catch. The geometry and distribution of force (when the bolt catches) is very different between the 2. Every instance of bolt catches breaking on 9mm AR I have seen or read about is always with a 9mm bolt catch and not the 5.56mm version.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 3:55:18 PM EDT
[#7]
dudes,
awesome info. thanks so much.
can i put a colt block in a ameetec or dpms lower? and once i have the lower properly
set up ,just plop the upper on and am i good to go???
how do i find m60joe??
thanks again
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:01:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
can i put a colt block in a ameetec or dpms lower?

Yes.

and once i have the lower properly set up ,just plop the upper on and am i good to go???
Assuming you have mags and ammo, yes.

how do i find m60joe??
thanks again

Go this his site - www.m60joe.com
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:22:23 PM EDT
[#9]
matt b
super thanks.

i cant wait to put this together
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top