Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2005 4:20:48 PM EDT
I'm new to pistol calibers I have searched the fourm and still havent forund the answers I'm looking for.  
Who makes the best colt style mag block for the money?
What are my mag options?

Thanks in advance for your expertise.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:00:09 PM EDT
[#1]
9mm AR FAQ  

Colt pattern mag blocks

Colt Mag Block
-Usually pinned into a Colt lower, but can sometimes be found on the Equipment Exchange
-Bottom loader
-Uses setscrew (and pinnning in many instances) to secure
-Has bolt hold-open feature

"Old" Rock River Arms mag block
Copy of Colt Mag Block above

"New" Rock River Arms mag block
-Bottom Loader
-Uses set screw to secure
-No bolt hold-open feature
-Replaced "Old" Rock River Mag block around January 2005. Several RRA vendors have told people it is not worth the money ($150).

American Spirit Arms Block
-Top Loader model
-No bolt hold-open feature
*Note- apparently there are two versions, one designed for ribbed-back Uzi mags and one that is designed for the plasma tube welded Uzi mags with no back rib.

V M Hy Tech
www.vmhytech.com
Attn: John Cencioso
2701 W. Grovers
Phoenix, AZ 85053
Phone:(602)944-3956
-Block uses unmodified Uzi magazines ($149 March 2004)
-does not actuate bolt hold-open
-Early version had a flat button and mags could disengage when yanked hard and mags were tight, Revised block now has raised button w/concentric rings and slightly larger magwell dimensions.

Garrison Manufacturing Inc.
www.garrisonmfginc.com
P.O. Box 231
Wauseon, OH 43567
1-419-392-2542
[email protected]
-Block uses modified Uzi magazines
-Unslotted version does not actuate bolt hold open ($125 in March 2004)
-Slotted version actuates bolt hold-open with replacement 9mm bolt catch. Use of this catch means the lower can not use 5.56 mags. (block $135, 9mm catch $15 March 2004)

JRW Sports
142 E. Floyd Ave
Lake Mary, FL 32707
(407) 328-7836
-Block uses Uzi magazines with a mag catch notch cut in them (block apparently discontinued June 2003, price approx. $125 if you can find them)
-Bottom loader set screw design
-Actuates bolt hold-open w/Colt mags

Crossfire Block
-Out of production
-Bottom loader set screw(?) design
-Description provided by "SOGwarrior" on his Corssfire block:

The CrossFire 9mm magwell conversion block is ALL steel and it is placed into the magwell through the bottom upwards. A ball detent on the front of the block has tension that holds it into place in the magwell. It also has an area on the side of the block where the magazine release fits into and holds it into place. When you release the magazine release button, it allows the magazine to drop free but still holds the block into place. The feed ramp allows just about any size of 9mm to be used and it is a part of the block. Is the feed ramp welded or machined to the block itself, I'm not sure since I don't have the block in front of me to look at. I've never had a round jam or FTF due to the the feed ramp. The ejector is held in the block by a pin I believe, so it can be replaced if need be. My ejector rides "nearly" side by side with my bolt without actually touching the bolt, and this has given me NEAR flawless performance at ejecting cases. This is critical and on some setups may need to be tweaked. One of the best features on the CrossFire is holding the bolt open on the last round fired WHEN using Colt mags. It really improves your ability to perform better at subgun shoots with this feature. The only problems I've ever really had was due to bad or damaged ammo but that is no fault of the CrossFire block. I hope this helps

Tacblock
-Copy of Crossfire block
-Out of production
-Bottom loader set screw(?) design

Hahn Precision Block
-Top loader model w/no setscrews, does not actuate bolt
-Bottom loader model that uses a spring loaded detent (supposedly some models have a set screw) and actuates bolt hold-open on Colt mags
-Top loader $175, bottom loader $200 at Brownells March 2004.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:29:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Which one is best? Any personel expirence?
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 5:37:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I use the Hahn bottom loader with my RRA upper.  Works with the Colt and modified Uzi mags.  I've used both types of mags with zero problems.  It's a little pricey, but it works well.  I'm about 50% for the BHO working on the Colt mags, but I attribute that to the newness of the system.
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 5:55:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Has anyone tried or heard of one of these?
http://www.forthehunt.com/Auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=35193396
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 6:59:27 PM EDT
[#5]
NINNER

That is a VM HY-TECH UZI Mag block adaptor .  Ameetec Arms have them on their website for $145.  Are you planning on using colt or uzi mags?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 7:58:58 PM EDT
[#6]
I have 2 Garrison Mfg. top loading blocks. Use one on a 7.5'' barreled RRA 9mm pistol that ADCO cut down for me. The other on a RRA 16'' carbine. They work perfectly. I use both Colt and Pro-Mag mags. You cant go wrong here. Good price, $135 w/ bolt hold open slot...
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:07:47 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I have 2 Garrison Mfg. top loading blocks. Use one on a 7.5'' barreled RRA 9mm pistol that ADCO cut down for me. The other on a RRA 16'' carbine. They work perfectly. I use both Colt and Pro-Mag mags. You cant go wrong here. Good price, $135 w/ bolt hold open slot...

Who sells em?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:55:01 PM EDT
[#8]
I got mine direct from Garrison, 419-392-2542. If you get the dreaded "machine" just leave your phone # and they will call you back..www.garrisonmfginc.com
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:30:40 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I got mine direct from Garrison, 419-392-2542. If you get the dreaded "machine" just leave your phone # and they will call you back..www.garrisonmfginc.com

Sombody needs to update those guys website
I assume the product looks better

CH
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:17:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Here are some pics from Garrison of their mag block and 9mm bolt catch.

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:22:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks a damm nice looking block. I wish RRA or Stag would make a lower like Olys glock lower, but for colt mags... WOuld be sooooooo nice.

CH
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Sooooo...nobody makes a 9mm block with a bolt hold open anymore that allows you to quickly go back to 5.56mm?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:53:37 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Sooooo...nobody makes a 9mm block with a bolt hold open anymore that allows you to quickly go back to 5.56mm?

Colt does.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 4:54:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Which one is best? Any personel expirence?

Neither style is better, regardless of what anyone says. They are different and each style has pros and cons. You will have to evalute both styles and decide for yourself which one will best serve your needs.
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 5:10:57 AM EDT
[#15]
If you are doing a dedicated 9mm.  Hahn has a new block made for such a thing.  I dont have one,
YET.

hahn-precision.com/armory/armory.htm
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:35:02 AM EDT
[#16]
It is highly unlikely you are going to get high reliability from a magblock that can be quickly removed from the lower.  Except, with a colt style mag block that is installed with a front screw instead of pinning.  Easy to remove and repeatable rigid installation.

M60Joe does a real nice job.

Trouble is finding a colt mag block at a reasonable price.  Most have come from demilled 9mm smgs.

These folks have them:  http://www.autoweapons.com/photos/accys/colt.html

Scroll down to the one priced at $275.00.  Yea, people whine, but if you want a RELIABLE BHO mag block, the extra $150.00 is peanuts compared against the rest of the project cost.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:02:50 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
It is highly unlikely you are going to get high reliability from a magblock that can be quickly removed from the lower.  Except, with a colt style mag block that is installed with a front screw instead of pinning.  Easy to remove and repeatable rigid installation.

That's exactly how M60Joe installed my Colt mag block and I concur, he does do great work.

Trouble is finding a colt mag block at a reasonable price.  Most have come from demilled 9mm smgs.

Scroll down to the one priced at $275.00.  Yea, people whine, but if you want a RELIABLE BHO mag block, the extra $150.00 is peanuts compared against the rest of the project cost.

Mike

I bought a brand new genuine Colt mag block from JT Distributing for $150. I was lucky enought to catch them when they had one in stock.
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 10:49:37 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Mike

This company must SMOKE CRACK!!!!!!!!!

$450 for a standard Colt mag block that ANYWHERE else goes for $175

........and I hate to pop bubbles but Colt doesn't make high quality ANYTHING these days.......if you want a new 1911, revolver, or AR-15, Colt is the last place to shop.

Your peanuts must be grown by Jimmy Carter himself and salted from the sweat between the breasts of supermodels.

BTW.....the ATF does NOT like extra holes drilled in receivers
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 11:13:15 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Mike

I have over 3K rounds through my 9mm's with top loading garrison blocks. Not a single problem with reliability???  
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:09:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I went with the HY Tech, uses mill spec unmodified uzi mags and works flawlessly I'm going to put a button head screw in the front of the magblock so I dont have to worry about  hitting the wrong button.  The only down side is that the first mag I bought diddent fit. Had to trade it in onan IMI with the star.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:34:30 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
I went with the HY Tech, uses mill spec unmodified uzi mags and works flawlessly I'm going to put a button head screw in the front of the magblock so I dont have to worry about  hitting the wrong button.  The only down side is that the first mag I bought diddent fit. Had to trade it in onan IMI with the star.

Am I the only one that thinks the HYT block just hangs down to far? I know it wroks well and wont argue that but it just looks...hokie.

I picked up a RRA block but the jury is still out if it will work or not.
CH
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#22]
My ASA block seem to work well.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:09:53 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
My ASA block seem to work well.

+1 over 4,000rds with mine and no problems.  
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top