Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/29/2005 5:11:33 AM EDT
Anybody have the proper weight for the buffer and perhaps a *link* to a respectable price on one?  Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 9:29:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link with buffer weights.

AR15 Buffers

BTW, I found this very easily but just typing "AR15 buffers" into Google. It was the first URL in the list.

Check Eagle Firearms and ADCO Firearms. They both sell the RRA 9mm buffer.

Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#2]
A little more expensive but if you have a colt system 9mm you might think about a "Q" buffer from Slash...  these are heavier yet than the standard 9mm buffers, and longer to limit bolt overtravel.
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:46:36 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
A little more expensive but if you have a colt system 9mm you might think about a "Q" buffer from Slash...  these are heavier yet than the standard 9mm buffers, and longer to limit bolt overtravel.

I'm not convinced these are necessary in every Colt 9mm, specifically if it uses the standard 5.56 bolt catch actuated by the mag block. If my bolt catch ever breaks, I'll eat crow but the man who built my 9mm AR (M60 Joe) said not to bother with it on my rifle.

Link Posted: 7/30/2005 2:56:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Can I still shoot .223 and have no cycle issues due to the buffer change?
Link Posted: 7/30/2005 8:06:14 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Can I still shoot .223 and have no cycle issues due to the buffer change?

Yes ..the 9mm CAR buffer weigh similar to the std Rfle buffer  -- 9mm @ 5.6oz,  std rifle @ 5.1oz.

Weight is really only a factor when fire full-auto, as it is used to control cyclic rate, add weight to slow it down, lose weight to sped it up.

BTW- I run a weighted  A2 buffer (7.0oz)  in my multi caliber/barrel length SBR
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 5:21:15 AM EDT
[#6]
SBR7_11:
Who offers 7 Oz std buffers? Sounds great (I had a 10 Oz made but I have not tried it yet).
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:19:14 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
SBR7_11:
Who offers 7 Oz std buffers? Sounds great (I had a 10oz made but I have not tried it yet).

Member "JohnnyMcEldoo" is local to me, he works tool & die day job... I went down 1 evening, and we took a piece of brass round stock, and cut it to slip fit the existing A2 body, and cut it to length, leaving a few thous for it to knock back-forth... have to really pay attention to feel it move, it that snug.

You could play with a piece of steel round stock and work with it, leaving all the meat from the face of the buffer to the spring perch, and nibble from that to get what you want weight wise...

Here is a pic of the solid 12.8oz SS buffer I use in the slowfire MAC (Johnny cut too), cut to resemble the AR rifle buffer, just a lot of maet left on it to gain weight..

Here is the drawing to work off --
Link Posted: 8/7/2005 7:30:31 AM EDT
[#8]
Very Nice! Thanks for the drawing.
My 10 oz unit has a tungsten insert in a std A2 buffer (not cheap!).
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top