Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/9/2005 10:26:39 AM EDT
Sorry about the large pics, my usual hosting site is down.

Got some Sterling mags, got an RRA Colt-style 9x19 upper and recently received my SNS mag blocks designed for STEn mags.

edit Thanks for the resize, I deleted my big pics.  See below.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 12:33:39 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Sorry about the large pics, my usual hosting site is down.

Got some Sterling mags, got an RRA Colt-style 9x19 upper and recently received my SNS mag blocks designed for STEn mags.

Magwell blocks look like this, silver is rear, black is front:

And This:

And this is what they look like on a STEn magazine

So I had to grind off the 'ears' from the front block because the Sterling mag is wider at the front and doesn't need locating like the STEn:

So this is what the Sterling mags looks like inserted after modifying the front magwell block only:

So I loaded some rounds to see if they would strip - no luck.  The mag isn't coming up high enough, the front lips are butting the bottom of the SNS feed ramp.  I modified the front of the Sterling mag first, got the round to strip and then slotted the mag for the AR mag catch.  This is what the modified mag looks like, the square notch on the front was a radius:

So now the magazine sits where it is meant to and the rounds feed when manually operated slowly but live rounds 'stovepipe' when the bolt is released under spring pressure.  Modification of the feed ramp is required, here's what it looks like so far:

Reduced them with MS Paint for you
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 4:11:30 PM EDT
[#2]
The SNS kit is the best option I've seen if you want an Oly setup using notched Sten mags.  A step up from Oly's idea of welding a block to the mag.  

The Sterling mag is of the double feed position design........Sten is single feed position.........completely different animals.  Feeding rounds into a chamber can be a tricky thing.  May take a lot of tweaking IF you can get it to work at all.  

Looks like you may have enough material on that adapter to cut on the corners and not have to modify your magazines.

Good Luck.
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 6:15:39 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

The Sterling mag is of the double feed position design........Sten is single feed position.........completely different animals.  Feeding rounds into a chamber can be a tricky thing.  May take a lot of tweaking IF you can get it to work at all.  

Good Luck.

I dunno about that, the Sterling/SNS combo works pretty well in my OLY.  Remember, the Colt style IS setup for a double stack mag to begin with.  I don't think he will have nearly as much trouble with that as I did setting up the OLY since it was set up for STEN's.  

With patience, a dremel, and beer...all things are possible.

GO WECSOG

ka
Link Posted: 7/9/2005 11:39:37 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
So I loaded some rounds to see if they would strip - no luck.  The mag isn't coming up high enough, the front lips are butting the bottom of the SNS feed ramp.  I modified the front of the Sterling mag first, got the round to strip and then slotted the mag for the AR mag catch.  This is what the modified mag looks like, the square notch on the front was a radius:

I had the same problem with this mag block, and Sten mags.  The mag wouldn't sit up high enough, since the feed ramp had that little "shelf" under it.  The prototype I made from an old J.R.W. 2 piece block for Colt mags works just fine.  

Also, with the Colt style system, you may end up with some ejector issues.  I had to peen the ejector inward to get it to clear my RRA bolt.

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/10/2005 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 9:35:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Gloftoe, I believe those are the now discontinued 1st. generation magwell blocks you received from SNS, (close-out special deal?). The new 2nd. generation blocks have been redesigned and upgraded to address those issues.  

That Sterling mag looks pretty cool hangin' out that AR....  MP5 style
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 11:25:54 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Gloftoe, I believe those are the now discontinued 1st. generation magwell blocks you received from SNS, (close-out special deal?). The new 2nd. generation blocks have been redesigned and upgraded to address those issues.  

Ah....... any one have pics of the second generation???

Link Posted: 7/11/2005 5:30:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ah....... any one have pics of the second generation???

+1
Link Posted: 7/11/2005 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#9]
The above pics are of the 2nd. gen....... the feed ramp and forward block  have been redesigned and he rear has had the ejector slot moved slightly inward.... for those that are for the Colt style...... the Oly style only ones do not have ejector slot.  
Link Posted: 7/12/2005 5:16:14 AM EDT
[#10]
The feeding problem was caused by the steep ramp on the SNS feeder making the bullet jump over the chamber.  I dremeled (is that a word?) the SNS feed ramp to match the Hahn feed ramp to a much shallower angle.  The gun now feeds and ejects perfectly when operated manually, test-firing it this evening.

Link Posted: 7/12/2005 8:45:13 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
The above pics are of the 2nd. gen....... the feed ramp and forward block  have been redesigned and he rear has had the ejector slot moved slightly inward.... for those that are for the Colt style...... the Oly style only ones do not have ejector slot.  

Ah.  Well, I guess most know the issues of 1st Gen then.

So, SNS is making the Colt style then (or still)?  I was under the impression that it was discontinued for good....  I'm sure lots of people would love it.... especially the ones who  are not "mechanically enclined" to "hack" out their own.

Link Posted: 7/12/2005 10:14:05 AM EDT
[#12]
the SNS magwell blocks were originally designed for single feed STEN mags.  The feedramp mods pictured above are for double feed mags... ie: sterling

SNS has produced a very limited number of 2nd. gen. magwell blocks for the Colt style to use STEN mags.  I would say check out thier website and or contact them directly for the most up to date info.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 10:19:57 AM EDT
[#13]
Range report ???????
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 1:03:55 PM EDT
[#14]
RANGE REPORT - gun running about 75% reliable with all stoppages caused by incomplete feeding of round from right side of magazine only.  feeding from left side of magazine is 100% reliable.  The stoppage always manifests itself as the bolt half-closed with the live round half chambered i.e. the bullet is in the chamber and the case head is caught on the sharp lower edge of the boltface.  Since it is not happening from the left side of the mag I assume the problem to be feed-ramp related.  I only rough-ground the feed ramp so maybe I need to smooth it out a bit.  Malfunctions occur in full and semi auto.

When I switch back to the Hahn block and Colt mags function is 100% reliable in full and semi auto.

Will do a bit more work on the feed ramps and test again.  This thing is fun-as-hell to shoot!  50yd accuracy suprised me, I got bored shooting the falling plates and started shooting the stand legs (2" pipe) with 75% hits!  These EOtech sights are the beesknees.
Link Posted: 7/18/2005 7:24:13 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
The feeding problem was caused by the steep ramp on the SNS feeder making the bullet jump over the chamber.  I dremeled (is that a word?) the SNS feed ramp to match the Hahn feed ramp to a much shallower angle.  The gun now feeds and ejects perfectly when operated manually, test-firing it this evening.

outcast.homeunix.org/uploads/DSCN0670.JPG

Monkey man.

If you crop the picture, as in  use MSPaint or some such program to cut the size of the picture down you can still get the detail without the huge size.

Link Posted: 7/28/2005 7:53:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Anyone have a good (& cheap) source for sterling mags??
Link Posted: 7/29/2005 3:49:57 AM EDT
[#17]
DSA had them for $15.  Easiest mag I've ever loaded, same effort from first to last round on roller follower.
Link Posted: 8/8/2005 7:26:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Monkey Man, I'm a little late into this thread... what was the condition of the DSA Sterling mags?  The thought of getting a stout, steel, curved 32 rd mag for $15 is pretty darned appealing.  Are they basket cases?  A little rust doesn't bother me if they clean up OK.  

This is a cool concept.  I wonder why it hasn't been pursued more?
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 3:58:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Gorilla, I bought five mags.  Four were as new in packing grease.  One had slight rust under paint, needs a wire-brushing and respray.  I have a Sterling SMG as well, I think I'm going to buy a few more mags.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Thanks, mags are on their way!  I'm going to give this (AR magwell block plus Sterling mag mods)  a shot.  I like the "curvy" look.  
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:45:13 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Thanks, mags are on their way!  I'm going to give this (AR magwell block plus Sterling mag mods)  a shot.  I like the "curvy" look.  

Got a link to where you got the mags?  I can't locate them on DSA's page.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 1:37:42 PM EDT
[#22]
Enter 'Sterling" in the search box, or failing that:

Sterling mags:

Don't buy them all!  I only ordered two until I can figure out how well they'll work and how tough a scratch mag block will be.

Edit:  Hmmm linky no work.  But the SEARCH box should work OK.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 2:18:15 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got a link to where you got the mags?  I can't locate them on DSA's page.  Thanks!

Gloftoe,

Go to the "Specials and Closeout" Product Category.  Then scroll down.  SKU code is: DJSTER9MAGE.

I too have experimented with a Sterling mag on a Colt 9mm upper.  Like you, I modified a 2 piece JRW mag block that I used with sten mags.  I wecsog the top and front to a Sterling mag until it fit the mag block.  I was using a different ramp with the sten mags.  I had to switch to the original one to get it to run.

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 4:58:28 PM EDT
[#24]
Quick bump, I got my Sterling mags from DSA.  I'd never handled a Sterling mag before... man, they are built like a friggin' TANK!  The followers have ROLLERS on them and like MonkeyMan says I have never in my life loaded a 34 rd mag as easily as the Sterling.  I'm totally impressed with the mag.

My goal is to create a mag block that will take the Sterling unmodified.  I checked the bolt and it'll ride and strip the mag just fine if the mag is inserted to the correct height.  I need to figure out how the Sterling originally held the mag as I've never handled a Sterling.  I have a Hahn drop-in block which I will probably start with as a pattern.  I think I'm going to ignore bolt hold-open for now, since my goal is to use UNMODIFIED Sterling mags.

The condition of the mags is excellent, too.  Anyone have a source other than DSA in case they run out?  Also, any links to a close up or some other description of how the Sterling SMG held these mags would help me out.  If the project progresses, I'll get some pics up.  MonkeyMan thanks for the inspiration, I'm not trying to steal anything away here, I'm just approaching it from a different perspective.  
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top