Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/21/2005 7:20:55 PM EDT
Well after a lot of screwing around with different routes this .40cal rifle is finished.  It started as an Olympic Arms upper, I swapped the receiver for a RRA A4 with shell deflector, drilled the holes for the Olympic ejector system after getting tired of thinking about how to retain the standard Colt ejector on the mag block.  I'm still not done with it, I think I can get the Colt ejector to work but I got tired of screwing with it and decided just to shoot it!!

I slapped the sighting system from my 5.56 on there due to lack of a dedicated BUIS for the .40.

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 9:54:19 PM EDT
[#1]
[Napoleon Dynamite] That's wicked awesome! [/Napoleon Dynamite]

Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:19:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Nice
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 10:26:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Couple of ??s...

Bolt?  Did you modify one yourself, or did you use an Oly bolt?
Barrel?  Oly Arms or is someone else making 40 S&W AR barrels?
Mags?  41 AE Uzi mags, are they easily found, cheap?

I was going to build a 40 S&W AR, but I didn't want the Oly pattern, but a Colt pattern.  I pretty much gave up on the project for now.  Seeing this is making me reconsider....
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 5:45:13 AM EDT
[#4]
m499,
    How many 40 S&W rounds does that Uzi 41AE mag hold? That is a nice clean setup and with the newer metal being used in that Oly ejector I really don't think it will ever give you a problem.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:35:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Couple of ??s...

Bolt?  Did you modify one yourself, or did you use an Oly bolt?
Barrel?  Oly Arms or is someone else making 40 S&W AR barrels?
Mags?  41 AE Uzi mags, are they easily found, cheap?

Thanks all!

Bolt started as the standard Oly bolt, sent it to m60joe to mill out the underside to Colt specs.  When I got it back, it still needed some material taken out to allow room for the feed ramp.  Dremel time!!!!  I took out as much as I felt was possible then took a little off the feedramp sidewalls to make up the difference.

Barrel is standard Olympic Arms .40.

.41AE Uzi mags are somewhat tough to find and run about the same as Colt mags.  I found them on Subguns.com.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:55:38 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
m499,
    How many 40 S&W rounds does that Uzi 41AE mag hold? That is a nice clean setup and with the newer metal being used in that Oly ejector I really don't think it will ever give you a problem.

The mags are marked as 20rds.  I originally wanted to use standard Colt mags but the .40 rounds just "fountain'd" out all the time.

Pretty much the only reason I wanted to get rid of the Oly ejector was so I could gain the bolt hold-open feature of the Colt system.

I think I can still get there but like I said for now I got sick of messing with it and decided just to shoot it.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top