Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/20/2005 4:37:13 AM EDT
I read the post on cutting a groove. What do you to yhe follower to make them work? Is there anything else to do?
Thanks Mark
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:40:10 AM EDT
[#1]
I tried messing with the follower in the first mag I modified and it did't really want to bend, so much as crack and break.  I ended up not messing with any of the followers in the rest of the mags I cut and they work perfectly.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 5:46:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Same here I just cut the notches and they work pretty damn good.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 9:04:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Try using the mag first.  For a lot of setups it will work fine.  Usually if you have problems it will be with bolt-over-bullet failure to feeds on the last 1-5 rounds in the magazine.  My particular Rockr River 9mm upper would not strip the last 4 rounds out of any mag.  The solution is the flatten the feed angle of the follower slightly so the round sits more horizontal.  bend the follower legs with some pliers (GENTLY and SLOWLY, as the follwoers are brittle) until the angle is about halfway between what it originally was and horizontal, i.e. if the original follower angle makes the last round point up at a 15 degree angle, you want it to be at about a 7-8 degree angle when you are done.  

It is MUCH simpler than it sounds, and once you find the proper angle it is easy to do to all the other mag followers.  
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 3:07:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for thr info.
Mark
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:14:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Somebody recently posted a drawing with the dimensions where to cut/notch the mag.
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 5:26:59 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Try using the mag first.  For a lot of setups it will work fine.  Usually if you have problems it will be with bolt-over-bullet failure to feeds on the last 1-5 rounds in the magazine.  My particular Rockr River 9mm upper would not strip the last 4 rounds out of any mag.  The solution is the flatten the feed angle of the follower slightly so the round sits more horizontal.  bend the follower legs with some pliers (GENTLY and SLOWLY, as the follwoers are brittle) until the angle is about halfway between what it originally was and horizontal, i.e. if the original follower angle makes the last round point up at a 15 degree angle, you want it to be at about a 7-8 degree angle when you are done.  

It is MUCH simpler than it sounds, and once you find the proper angle it is easy to do to all the other mag followers.  

The only mags I have feed issues with are the ones where the notch ended up being cut about .010"+ too high causing the mag to sit a bit low.  The feed issue was only with the last round, not the last 4-6 rounds.  I ended up cutting all of my mags so that the top of the notch started about 1.200" below the feed lips.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top