Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/16/2005 5:25:58 AM EDT
If I recall, the 9mm hammer (or M16 hammer with "hook" removed") is needed because of the straight interface with the bolt.
Am I correct when I say that you can use a standard AR15 hammer with a ramped 9mm bolt?
Thanks
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 7:13:22 AM EDT
[#1]
The hammer in the pic with the spring still attached is all you will ever need, no matter what you do for top ends on an AR-15 rifle.  The spring is still attached because I took it out of my lower to take the pic.

DO NOT attempt to use hammer #3 (SP-1 hammer) with 9mm (ramp or un-ramp)... It would not catch disconnect  for me with the ramp, and will lock the bolt slight open when you try to release bolt forward.

The  "pic" :

Link Posted: 4/16/2005 9:01:05 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The hammer in the pic with the spring still attached is all you will ever need, no matter what you do for top ends on an AR-15 rifle.  The spring is still attached because I took it out of my lower to take the pic.

DO NOT attempt to use hammer #3 (SP-1 hammer) with 9mm (ramp or un-ramp)... It would not catch disconnect  for me with the ramp, and will lock the bolt slight open when you try to release bolt forward.

The  "pic" :

img.photobucket.com/albums/v504/capttoyota/ARhammers-9mmbolt.jpg

Damn that pic must be getting worn out by now!
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 9:21:55 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Damn that pic must be getting worn out by now!

Naaaaaaa,  I think "Rabbit 9"  and his 9mm AR with suppressor on the rifle case is got me by a long shot...

Wife just got a digital, (of our own finally)  so I really to clean up some of my stuff with cleaner pics.

Link Posted: 4/16/2005 9:27:14 AM EDT
[#4]
If you have installed a Colt 9mm upper on a SP1 lower with the old style hammer - you will understand why this photo makes the rounds so frequently.  

It's very difficult to get the upper and lower apart once it's stuck.  Had to use a knife to pry the upper and lower apart, thread some heavy duty wire in between the hammer and the bolt, then pull back the hammer until it detached.  Took a long time and a good amount of profanity to fix it.
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 9:31:26 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If you have locked up a Colt 9mm upper on a SP1 lower with the old style hammer - you will understand why this photo makes the rounds so frequently.  

It's very difficult to get the upper and lower apart without once it's stuck.

Yea, I knew it would happen,  so I hammered up the lower, and pulled the bolt back, just to see what actually happens.

If do make the mistake.... simply push the take down pin out, along with the pivot pin, and wiggle the upper-lower, the hammer should un-snag the groove in the bolt and allow you to remedy the situation.
Link Posted: 4/16/2005 11:26:58 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
If you have installed a Colt 9mm upper on a SP1 lower with the old style hammer - you will understand why this photo makes the rounds so frequently.  

It's very difficult to get the upper and lower apart once it's stuck.  Had to use a knife to pry the upper and lower apart, thread some heavy duty wire in between the hammer and the bolt, then pull back the hammer until it detached.  Took a long time and a good amount of profanity to fix it.

I'm actually quite aware of what hammer to use and what hammer not to use.  Thanks anyway.

'Been around the block a time or two.

The picture thing was a little joke, it seams like SBR7_11 is posting that pic on a daily basis these days.
Link Posted: 4/24/2005 11:46:01 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
If I recall, the 9mm hammer (or M16 hammer with "hook" removed") is needed because of the straight interface with the bolt.
Am I correct when I say that you can use a standard AR15 hammer with a ramped 9mm bolt?
Thanks

I know this post has been around for awhile but I figured it hasn't been said "here" yet but the DPMS and RRA standard AR15 hammers are the easiest way to take care of the issue.  No grinding, no guessing.  I had a RRA hammer in one of my lowers and was worried (without looking at the hammer first) that I would need to replace so I almost got the M16 unit and grinder then I found a new DPMS for $10 shipped.  Well damn thing gets here and I look and see that it looks just like my RRA hammer that I already have in the lower, which of course looks just like the hammer in the middle of the picture above, minus the hook  Owell, it was $10 and now I know that the RRA and DPMS are the ones to look for new.....
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 7:02:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I believe I read somewhere that the Colt 9mm hammer (Essentially straight - no hook) doesn't work well with the ramped bolt - is that correct?
Thanks
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

The  "pic" :

I just installed a RRA 9mm hammer that didnt look like any of those.  What is up with that?
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#10]
The 9mm hammer doesn't look like any of the those shown above, but it works with a non-ramped bolt.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 1:08:07 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

The  "pic" :

I learned the hard way with the DO NOT use hammer. Locked up like a check cashing place at 2 am.  
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 1:12:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Thanks

FOR your other topic 2 stage trigger. I dont see the use for one in a 9mm. I have a JP yellow spring kit in my stock trigger, kit part # 452-000-007 from Brownell's man U will love the trigger with these springs.
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 4:23:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Like I said in another thread, use a Knight 2 stage (semi-auto) and don't look back.  these days a KAC trigger is about what several colt 9mm mags cost.

Great trigger and NO 9mm issues.

Mike
Link Posted: 6/12/2005 5:22:39 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
The 9mm hammer doesn't look like any of the those shown above, but it works with a non-ramped bolt.

Phew!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 4:55:24 AM EDT
[#15]
Has anybody tried the RR 2-stage trigger in the 9mm? Would it work?
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 10:24:35 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Has anybody tried the RR 2-stage trigger in the 9mm? Would it work?

You know, I was thinking about that the other day.  My RRA 2 stage is in my Non-SBR lower and it has the original hammer that came with it.  the hammer is not a normal RRA AR nor 9mm hammer so I think I need to chagne the hammer out to make it work.  I might put a RRA/DPMS hammer in and see how it works.  

I don't know how imperative it is that the RRA 2 stage hammer is used with the 2 stage trigger but if any hammer will work with the trigger setup, I'm sure it'll work just fine.

I'll check back in to send picks of the RRA 2 stage hammer, and then again to let you know if the hammer swap worked.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:41:07 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks

I know this post has been around for awhile but I figured it hasn't been said "here" yet but the DPMS and RRA standard AR15 hammers are the easiest way to take care of the issue.  No grinding, no guessing.  I had a RRA hammer in one of my lowers and was worried (without looking at the hammer first) that I would need to replace so I almost got the M16 unit and grinder then I found a new DPMS for $10 shipped.  Well damn thing gets here and I look and see that it looks just like my RRA hammer that I already have in the lower, which of course looks just like the hammer in the middle of the picture above, minus the hook  Owell, it was $10 and now I know that the RRA and DPMS are the ones to look for new.....

Sure you have an RRA hammer? Every RRA LPK kit I have used had the notched hammer, except for one and I question the lineage of that one. I think I was sent a DPMS LPK instead of a RRA LPK by one of the premier board dealers, no less!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 8:21:12 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Thanks

Sure you have an RRA hammer? Every RRA LPK kit I have used had the notched hammer, except for one and I question the lineage of that one. I think I was sent a DPMS LPK instead of a RRA LPK by one of the premier board dealers, no less!

I guess you could be right since I did get it off the board.  Maybe I'll order a LPK from RRA or email them and ask since I really don't know.  I do know the DPMS is a DPMS as it was new in the package from Brownells.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top