Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/7/2005 9:42:23 AM EDT
I'm looking for an M-4 barrel with a twist slower than 1/7.  I want to build up a 22 dedicated upper using a M261 kit and I understand the slower the twist, the better.  Obviously this is just a plinker, but I want to get the best accuracy I can without going the full on custom upper route.  I know that Kuel and Kurt's Kustom build some really great uppers but that just isn't an option at this time.

Anyway, if anyone knows of a source for these, I'd appreciate hearing about it.

thanks

ka
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 9:45:14 AM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm looking for an M-4 barrel with a twist slower than 1/7.  I want to build up a 22 dedicated upper using a M261 kit and I understand the slower the twist, the better.  Obviously this is just a plinker, but I want to get the best accuracy I can without going the full on custom upper route.  I know that Kuel and Kurt's Kustom build some really great uppers but that just isn't an option at this time.

thanks

ka

I don't see why.  Most .22's have 1/16 for the 40 gr bullets.  M4's will stabilize bullets up to, IIRC, 106 grains.  More twist isn't always better.  You want the proper twist for the weight/length of bullet that you intend to shoot.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 1:21:13 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Quoted:

thanks

ka

I don't see why.  Most .22's have 1/16 for the 40 gr bullets.  M4's will stabilize bullets up to, IIRC, 106 grains.  More twist isn't always better.  You want the proper twist for the weight/length of bullet that you intend to shoot.

Well, yeah, that is the point.  The dedicated uppers use a slower twist 1/12 or 1/16.  That is what I am looking for.  I want less twist, not more.  The 1/7 of the A2 or M4 leads to pi$$ poor accuracy with the .22 LR.  As I stated above, I'm not looking for a match-grade type accuracy, just better than what I currently get.  Right now, the rifle is fine out to 25 yards or so but any furthur than that, it looks more like a pattern than a group.

Thanks for the reply though.

ka
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 2:02:24 PM EDT
[#3]
You might see if you can get just the dedicated .22 M4 profile barrel from DPMS.  The other option might be to go somehwere like ar15barrels.com and get one custom made.

Dawg
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
You might see if you can get just the dedicated .22 M4 profile barrel from DPMS.  The other option might be to go somehwere like ar15barrels.com and get one custom made.

Dawg

Now we are talking money.  Kuehl has some really nice stuff.  Unfortunately, 1) you must use the ciener kit.  No problem...I just don't happen to have one.  or 2) his barrels are already chambered for the .22.  Ideal if you want to use the aforementioned ciener kit.

What I am looking for is a barrel, chambered in .223 to allow the use of the M261 chamber adapter, with as slow a twist as possible to improve accuracy.

I guess my best bet MIGHT be to get an old 1/12 twist   -A1 barrel and have it shortened to 16".  No prob on the gas port since it won't be needed anyway.

The more I think of this, the more I think it might be a dumb idea.  Perhaps I'll just build a dedicated M4 upper and accept the accuracy limitations.

any ideas?

ka
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 3:28:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Olympic is offering a barrel insert pretty cheap.  You need some of their other components as well.  Not sure on all the details as the information in the catalog is limited.  If you buy one of their uppers with the inser you could also buy the .17Mach2 insert and play with that too.  I'm not sure what the original barrel dimensions has to be to accomodate the liner.  
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 9:05:44 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Olympic is offering a barrel insert pretty cheap.  You need some of their other components as well.  Not sure on all the details as the information in the catalog is limited.  If you buy one of their uppers with the inser you could also buy the .17Mach2 insert and play with that too.  I'm not sure what the original barrel dimensions has to be to accomodate the liner.  

Olympic has a full kit, even one with a custom barrel that accepts blanks in .22 and .17 caliber.
Link Posted: 3/7/2005 9:42:33 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dawg

Now we are talking money.  Kuehl has some really nice stuff.  Unfortunately, 1) you must use the ciener kit.  No problem...I just don't happen to have one.  or 2) his barrels are already chambered for the .22.  Ideal if you want to use the aforementioned ciener kit.

What I am looking for is a barrel, chambered in .223 to allow the use of the M261 chamber adapter, with as slow a twist as possible to improve accuracy.

I guess my best bet MIGHT be to get an old 1/12 twist   -A1 barrel and have it shortened to 16".  No prob on the gas port since it won't be needed anyway.

The more I think of this, the more I think it might be a dumb idea.  Perhaps I'll just build a dedicated M4 upper and accept the accuracy limitations.

any ideas?

ka

If you are using a .223 barrel the twist really isn't going to matter because you already are going to be suffering degrading accuracy from an overbore barrel.  

From readin what you are saying, here is my suggestion:  If you want a tack driver .22lr AR, spend the money and get a dedicated .22lr AR upper.  If you want to be able to quickly and cheaply convert over, build up whatever .223 upper you want and slap in the .22lr kit when the fancy strikes.  The .22lr should work fine in a 1/9 twist barrel.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 12:35:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Yeah, that's the same conclusion that I've come to.  
New M4gery, here I come

ka
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 1:06:43 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Yeah, that's the same conclusion that I've come to.  
New M4gery, here I come

ka

Sweetness.  

I guess the proper AR15.com answer would have ben "get both" but I realize you are on a budget.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#10]
another option for you is to not worry about the barrel and just switch ammo.  the aguila SSS (sniper sub sonic) 22lr ammo needs a fast twist barrel to stabilize(1in8 i believe).  so, a 1in7 or 1in9 should work ok for you.  i was just looking at a box at cabela's yesterday.   it was $32 a brick of 500.
Link Posted: 3/8/2005 5:01:05 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
another option for you is to not worry about the barrel and just switch ammo.  the aguila SSS (sniper sub sonic) 22lr ammo needs a fast twist barrel to stabilize(1in8 i believe).  so, a 1in7 or 1in9 should work ok for you.  i was just looking at a box at cabela's yesterday.   it was $32 a brick of 500.

$32 for 500 for a .22?  Dang, for that money, I could ALMOST shoot Wolf.  For that matter, that is just about what I'm reloading 9mm for.  Come to think about it, I'm down to 5.9cents a round for the 9.

Guess it'll be the M4gery for sure.  Now, the question is...Flat-top or A2 upper?

Thanks for all the ideas

ka
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:58:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Pick up an old m16a1 barrel,they are 1/12 and about the cheapest
you will find. Look in shotgun news.

Jim
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top