Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/8/2005 1:43:32 PM EDT
I recently completed my 9mm conversion and took it to the range on Thursday for a test spin. I had no problems at all and was very pleased. It is a RRA Car flattop upper with Colt MT6400 lower. Last night at a plate shoot I started to have some failure to ejects. This morning while cleaning the rifle I decided to take the extractor out. So I put the bolt in a padded vise and gave a light tap and I mean "light" tap to the extractor pin and it fell out. Taking a closer look at the extractor I noticed some wear behind the groove where the pin sits.(See Pics) Is this normal? I am also beginning to wonder if the pin was even holding the extractor in. If you look at the pic of the pin while it is the bolt I do not think it is even contacting the extractor. How far down is the pin supposed to go? Experts help me out here!

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 1:58:11 PM EDT
[#1]
The pin was/is to high.  In another words, the pin was not holding the extractor in position.  The pin only has to move up about 3/16" for the extractor to be free.  

2ETA: In your picture, top of the pin should be about 1/4" below the top surface of the key.

ETA: Usually, when the extractor is free it slides back about 1/16"into the bolt and quits extracting.

When the pin is correctly seated to retain the extractor, you should literally see the pin bottom out at the bottom of the bolt on the underside of the bolt .  The three ways of dealing with this problem are as follows:
1. Put it back in and just check it every time you clean it.
2. Do a double roll pin.  In another words, put another roll pin in the roll pin.
3. Blue loctite (NOT red)
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 2:08:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info!!!!!!!!! I have a Colt SMG manual that says to never take the extractor out...go figure.
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 6:29:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Go to the hardware store and get a new black 1 piece split roll pin.... and make sure it long enough to pass through the extractor and have a fair amount captured in the bolt pin hole.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 5:39:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I am very suprised how loose the pin actually is. The extractor pin is just a regular hollow pin and not a roll pin.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 3:47:12 AM EDT
[#5]
good info...

anybody have any experience on "longevity" of a 9mm extractor?  i had to replace mine recently in my colt as it was doing the "failure to extract" with a lot of frequency.  the new extractor runs just fine....
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 4:14:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Burnsome, How many rounds rounds of use on your extractor before you replaced it? Did you use a genuine Colt replacement part? Just wondering.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:47:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Burnsome, How many rounds rounds of use on your extractor before you replaced it? Did you use a genuine Colt replacement part? Just wondering.

not sure actually.  i bought the gun used as it was a police dept trade-in.  i would estimate it had a couple of thousand rounds thru it, but that is just a guess.  barrel and other components were and still are in great shape.  
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 7:48:56 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

purchased a replacement from brownells.....
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top