Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 12/17/2004 8:22:37 AM EDT
In my quest for a 45 cal integrally supressed carbine, I have gotten a lot of good info, so now I am searching for a dedicated lower that will accept GG mags.  I want a telescoping stock, so Cav Arms is out.  

I talked to Socom manufacturing, and they plan to produce a dedicated lower ( and upper) sometime next year, but I hate waiting.   Does anybody have any ideas on who might already be producing one?

If I can't find a dedicated lower, would I be better off with a Cav Arms lower and a 2 piece block?  

I am new to the boards but have been very impressed with the combined knowledge you guys possess and everyone's willingness to help.

Thanks
Link Posted: 12/17/2004 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, it is your choice.  Do you want to wait for a year and see IF a lower is produced?  I'm sorry to say, but I've heard places say they plan this and that for a LONG time and sometimes nothing happens.  I'm not impying anything.... but in the end, the choice is yours.

Actually, a single peice mag block for using GG mags in the CAV is under testing.  Hahn Engineering (they sell a single peice block for the Colt style 9mm) is making it.  I'm not sure when it will be released.

As of now, your options are limited.  The Cav MKII is available, but the block and heavy buffer are not on the market yet.  Any anything else would be a custom lower, unless the mags are modified to fit existing AR mag wells.  So in reality, there is no lower commercially set up 100%.... yet
Link Posted: 12/19/2004 9:58:57 AM EDT
[#2]
You make a good point.  I'm not going to hold my breath and wait for something that might get produced.  I can always buy it later.

thanks
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 9:39:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I tried two years ago to get Ernie at SOCOM to make lower for me that would be wide enough to accept GG mags. When I would talk to him he would tell me to call him back in a couple of months. My advise is don't hold your breath!!!!!!!!! I finally gave up on him and built my own.
http://bsumner.photosite.com/45CaliberARProject/Picture_001.htmlhttp://bsumner.photosite.com/45CaliberARProject/Picture_001.html
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 11:41:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/20/2004 11:42:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Im currently in the planning/developement stage of pistol cal. dedicated lower receivers.. one for 9mm the other in .45   The 9mm is first.. then the .45acp.  Im thinking either STEN or uzi for the 9mm and Grease gun or Thompson mags for the .45 leaning towards GG though.  This coming new year... I will be working on the 9mm, Im getting setup for the first prototypes as I type (per se).

When they are complete... you'll know about them  

~D~

SNS

PS> Receiver are made from forgings
Link Posted: 12/22/2004 8:54:56 AM EDT
[#6]
There is one in the works now. I held a prototype two weekends ago. Three or four different companies are involved in making parts for it. It will use a one piece mag block and Thompson SMG mags. A very small amout of metal is removed from the inside of the magwell. This does not affect the 223 mag when inserted. Hopefully it will be ready sometime next year.
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#7]
That looks great!  Who did your supressor, and how much would you charge to build me a lower for GG mags?!

Cade
Link Posted: 12/24/2004 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Im currently in the planning/developement stage of pistol cal. dedicated lower receivers.. one for 9mm the other in .45   The 9mm is first.. then the .45acp.  Im thinking either STEN or uzi for the 9mm and Grease gun or Thompson mags for the .45 leaning towards GG though.  This coming new year... I will be working on the 9mm, Im getting setup for the first prototypes as I type (per se).

When they are complete... you'll know about them  

~D~

SNS

PS> Receiver are made from forgings

Like there arent enough viable 9mm platforms already...... the .45acp is the only relatively untapped market.    I really dont see why anyone would develope a 9 first....  

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 1:50:59 AM EDT
[#9]
Well the WHY is..... I like the 9mm over the .45 and it's cheaper & easier to get 98% of the R&D done with the 9mm vs. .45... good enough for your WHY?  If ya don't like my particular business plan... you could always step up with your wads of extra $$ to spend on the R&D and setup for this commercial project. With your astounding insight on the pistol cal. AR market,  "the .45acp is the only relatively untapped market"... you could make millions for sure !!  WHY oh WHY haven't ya done this yet?

So... now that Im done being extra defensive(i really dislike aggressive WHY questions just as much as everyone else).  My answer is still the same... 9mm=easier/cheaper... let's me know if .45 is really something I want to tackle right now on a commercial level.   I am well aware of the untapped .45 market, and the tremendous interest in a dedicated .45 lower..... thats the whole point of me going in that direction.  If there wasn't a demand I wouldn't  even have it on my projects plate.

SNS

Link Posted: 1/5/2005 8:27:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Not an agressive question only an observation.   With my great insight and lack of manufacturing skills, facilities I guess I'll only make millions for myself in monopoly.   You can make whatever your heart desires.   I was just pointing out the obvious.   There's a boatload of 9mm platforms out that use common mags.   No need to bite my fingers off!  I'll try to type less snippy...
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 11:01:35 AM EDT
[#11]
And I'll try to be less defensive.

I don't see any dedicated platforms out there for 9mm except for Colt's, do you know of some one else who is making dedicated 9mm lowers? Or are you refering to all the different "adapters" and such for converting a .223 magwell to 9mm ?? There is a boat load of those.... thats for sure, I even made some for sten mags in the colt system... and Im going to make another one to add to the bunch here pretty soon as well

SNS
Link Posted: 1/5/2005 7:41:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
And I'll try to be less defensive.

I don't see any dedicated platforms out there for 9mm except for Colt's, do you know of some one else who is making dedicated 9mm lowers? Or are you refering to all the different "adapters" and such for converting a .223 magwell to 9mm ?? There is a boat load of those.... thats for sure, I even made some for sten mags in the colt system... and Im going to make another one to add to the bunch here pretty soon as well

SNS

In red- Oh!?  Err.....  how is it set up?  I'm really curiouse.....  Is it similar to the ones a few of us hacked together????

Edit-
Hey, when you get your project lower done, maybe I can drop by your shop, if you are open to the public.  You're in WA, and so am I!!!!!
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 1:09:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Two piece design, locked in via set screws/cams.  So.. probabaly not all that different than what others have done here.

Im not a regular retail gun shop(im a mfg) so I don't have a showroom per se, however, I do retail sales by appointment only.  

SNS
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top