Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/22/2004 10:16:06 AM EDT
I have searched and read the FAQ's and others but can't seem to find a definate answer. Is there a one piece top load block that allows use of colt mags and there bolt hold open feature. I really want a top load mag block so it doesn't stick out and has no set screws to fumble with.

I think if there is not one with the bolt hold open I might go with either a ASA or Hahn but I see the Hahn top load does not have bolt hold feature. The Hahn is only 20.00 more hten the ASA is it the better choice to go with?
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 11:41:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I usa a ASA block and love it. No last round hold open. I can buy 6 o7 25 round uzi mags for the cost  of one colt mag. I can buy 3 32 round uzi mags for the cost of a colt mag. For me the last round hold open is not worth the extra $$$$.

Link Posted: 10/22/2004 3:13:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
For me the last round hold open is not worth the extra $$$$.

It depends what you are doing with the rifle.  In tactical exercises, last round hold open is essential, if you're at the range poking at tin cans, then it doesn't.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 3:31:21 AM EDT
[#3]
The ASA block can be modified to include a hold-open.  I have been running one for years and it works perfectly.
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 5:10:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
It depends what you are doing with the rifle.  In tactical exercises, last round hold open is essential, if you're at the range poking at tin cans, then it doesn't.

I guess the mp5 is never used in "tactical exercises."  Pity.

Joe
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 9:47:18 AM EDT
[#5]
How do you modify the asa block?
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 12:43:32 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I guess the mp5 is never used in "tactical exercises."  Pity.

Joe

I guess it depends on whether you're talking about the 9mm MP5, or the MP5-40/10mm, where they fixed one of the inherent weaknesses of that particular firearm...the last round bolt hold open.

The MP5 is one of the best CQB weapons ever, but it had it's problems.  The operators using the MP5 needed to be dedicated professionals; counting rounds and tactical magazine changes were "survival skills".  There is no more ominous sound than pulling the trigger and all you hear is "click".  IMHO, the last round bolt hold open is a necessity on a working rifle.

Link Posted: 10/25/2004 3:50:51 AM EDT
[#7]
By cutting a slot in the back and dropping in a specially-made hold-open.

Email me if you want it done.
Link Posted: 10/25/2004 8:31:46 AM EDT
[#8]

By cutting a slot in the back and dropping in a specially-made hold-open.

Email me if you want it done.

Pics???? Please.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top