Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/3/2004 7:18:25 PM EDT
Ok I've done a lot of research on this idea, and I was wondering if any one has come up with any new info that would help me.

This is what I have in mind.  An Ar pistol build in .45 acp.  I found that I can get a 16" barrel from OA for just under $200.  The bolt carrier assembly $132, and the ejector spring $12.  I can get a stripped lower (and yes I've ck'd out the local laws).  

So I have to cut and re crown the barrel, get a pistol buffer, put all the parts together and I would have a .45 acp AR pistol.  I need help with the hand guards.  Who makes them short enough?  GG&G ?  Any Ideas?  

I'm looking for advice on all of this.  It looks good on paper, and the math works, but I've never done anything like this so any info would be much appreciated.  I'm not in a hurry, I want to do this right.  I like the Idea of this pistol.  I like the idea that it does come real close to being an SBR.  If you know what I mean.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 1:35:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Olympic makes a pistol short FIRSH handguard...  Works very well for 6.5" barreled pistol.

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:37:39 PM EDT
[#2]
I've thought about this but  there really needs to be another source of mags.  M3 mags wont work in a conventional aluminum lower, there just isnt enough material there.   Uzi mags are of limited usefulness with that big goofy mag block setup welded on and limited capacity.  I thought about slicing off the midsection of the magwell and drilling/tapping for a spacer and plate to widen the well but it'll take some further investigation as I'm a pretty poor machinist.   Have you found an alternative magazine that you can use?  
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:30:16 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've thought about this but  there really needs to be another source of mags.  M3 mags wont work in a conventional aluminum lower, there just isnt enough material there.   Uzi mags are of limited usefulness with that big goofy mag block setup welded on and limited capacity.  I thought about slicing off the midsection of the magwell and drilling/tapping for a spacer and plate to widen the well but it'll take some further investigation as I'm a pretty poor machinist.   Have you found an alternative magazine that you can use?  

No I have not.  I may have to re - think this one?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top