Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2004 6:28:16 PM EDT
Hello

I would like to build AR pistol but scared after reading all the posts about the problems with them so I was wondering about 9mm AR pistol is it possible??? if so anyone have pics of it ?? I thought being blowback action maybe that would elimate the feeding problems and bolt bounce that the 5.56 pistol have

Thanks
Ed
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 3:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I have thought of something like this as well, maybe with the Colt DOE upper...Anyone have any ideas or pics or experience
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 4:08:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/2/2004 10:24:08 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I considered a build, and realized I was about to drop $800+ to make the equivalent of an AR-TEC-9. I slapped myself and reconsidered.

Hey now, I would hope the $800 AR 9mm pistol would be a little more reliable. I know what you are saying, but look at the SP89. I know part of the price of those is that they are banned, and can take a sear (so could an AR pistol for that matter), but even if HK could bring them in again or made them here, they would for sure be over $1000. I think I'd rather have a Colt system DEA looking pistol than an SP89.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:39:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Email these guys and see how much it would run....

Short 9mm uppers

I have not personally contacted them, but it looks like nice stuff....
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:49:20 AM EDT
[#5]
One problem with making a 9mm ar-15 pistol is that the 9mm bolt carrier (at least the colt system) has a solid bolt carrier in the rear.  So, you can't use the pistol buffer sold by folks like Model 1.  One option is to use a carbine receiver extension and buffer assembly without the stock attached, but it is a bit longer than the pistol buffer setup.

Joe
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 8:51:57 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Hello

I would like to build AR pistol but scared after reading all the posts about the problems with them so I was wondering about 9mm AR pistol is it possible??? if so anyone have pics of it ?? I thought being blowback action maybe that would elimate the feeding problems and bolt bounce that the 5.56 pistol have

Thanks
Ed

Why would you want a 9mm pistol that would be that large?

It would be a huge, expensive 9mm handgun, when a Glock would be just as good, if not better.

Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:21:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hello

Thanks
Ed

It would be a huge, expensive 9mm handgun, when a Glock would be just as good, if not better.

I'll take a stab at answering this...maybe for those of us that already have Glocks and HKs, we want something more...toy if you will. Why would anyone want an SP89 when you could get a USP 9mm for 1/6th the price? Why would anyone buy a .223 pistol? A lot of it comes down to the simple answer...because we can.
Link Posted: 10/4/2004 9:26:11 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
One problem with making a 9mm ar-15 pistol is that the 9mm bolt carrier (at least the colt system) has a solid bolt carrier in the rear.  So, you can't use the pistol buffer sold by folks like Model 1.  One option is to use a carbine receiver extension and buffer assembly without the stock attached, but it is a bit longer than the pistol buffer setup.

Joe

That is an important point...I guess it is going to wind up being very similar to a small sbr, without the collapsible stock on the tube.
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Hello

The question has been asked WHY ?? Well why do we do the things we do because we want to
I thought because of all the problems with the short buffer tube and the gas tube problems that a blowback system would correct that . I would like 5.56 pistol but I don't want a Jam amatic

Thanks
Ed
Link Posted: 10/5/2004 9:53:32 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hello

The question has been asked WHY ?? Well why do we do the things we do because we want to
I thought because of all the problems with the short buffer tube and the gas tube problems that a blowback system would correct that . I would like 5.56 pistol but I don't want a Jam amatic

Thanks
Ed

Actually, "jam" is the wrong word.  It feeds fine and ejects fine.  It's just that the thing doesn't go "bang" when you pull the trigger sometimes.  The buffer unit doesn't keep the bolt/carrier unit 100% forward, so you have misfires (the hammer hitting the pin actually "seats" the carrier/bolt all the way forward which resutls in a 'light primer strike').  I put together a 223 pistol w/ a 10.5 or 11" (forgot) barrel...... when the prob w/ the buffer is solved, I'll post.
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:21:13 AM EDT
[#11]

With a little bit of work, I was able to get my get an Oly arms 9mm pistol working with a model 1 pistol buffer tube.  It works great and is A LOT of fun to shoot.  Fun to shoot is reason enough to have one for me. :)
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
With a little bit of work, I was able to get my get an Oly arms 9mm pistol working with a model 1 pistol buffer tube.  It works great and is A LOT of fun to shoot.  Fun to shoot is reason enough to have one for me. :)

Cool...do you have any pics? What bbl. length is it?
Link Posted: 10/7/2004 7:22:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Barrel length is 7.5''.  All I have is an old web cam so the pics won't be that great but I'll see what I can do.  

It took a little reworking of the buffer but now that I have it done, it has been 100% reliable although I only have about 600 rounds through it since I've gotten the bugs out.  The only bad thing is that the bolt can't be locked back.  Well.......I got it to were it could but I didn't like the way it "felt" as much.

With a phanton on the front it's a blast to shoot.  I have another Pistol Lower on the way and might try building one up in .40 or .45.

Anyway, I'll try to post some pics.

Rockclimbg

Link Posted: 10/8/2004 5:14:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Hello

I am going to knob creek machine gun shoot tommorrow maybe I can find everything I need there
If I don't run out of money first !!!

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Why would you want a 9mm AR Pistol? Or even a .45 AR Pistol?  

Since AR lowers are so cheap and the AWB has expired...use AR pistols to keep your short uppers on while they are not on your M16!  Also, you can put a long barrel and a tele-stock back on an AR Pistol and have a rifle then change it back to a pistol!  You can't do that with a rifle without buying another stamp...  Just don't put a stock on with a short barrel!!!!

MadDog
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 4:11:51 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Why would you want a 9mm AR Pistol? Or even a .45 AR Pistol?  

Since AR lowers are so cheap and the AWB has expired...use AR pistols to keep your short uppers on while they are not on your M16!  Also, you can put a long barrel and a tele-stock back on an AR Pistol and have a rifle then change it back to a pistol!  You can't do that with a rifle without buying another stamp...  Just don't put a stock on with a short barrel!!!!

MadDog

I think the reply to this was covered in an above posting.  It said it all (reply highlighted in blue below)

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hello

Thanks
Ed

I'll take a stab at answering this...maybe for those of us that already have Glocks and HKs, we want something more...toy if you will. Why would anyone want an SP89 when you could get a USP 9mm for 1/6th the price? Why would anyone buy a .223 pistol? A lot of it comes down to the simple answer...because we can.

Come to think of it, if one wanted to *risk* the money, one could try a Vulcan lower and upper.  Those weigh next to nothing.  But the point being, 10 years of being told NO YOU CAN'T , people are making them.  Some will get tired of them and in 6 months (IF the election goes according to plan) one will see AR pistols used (and new factory also).
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top