Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 1:50:20 PM EDT
I'm considering having my Kuehl Precision upper lined and reamed for 17 Mach 2.  Who would do such as thing?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:17:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Is there something wrong with the upper now? Kuehl's have a top rep,seems like it should be worth more to you or sombody else as it is (unless it is messed up) and start from scratch to build the 17.
my two cents,and sorry I don't know who lines barrels. (Is that even done for 17's ?)
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:03:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Raider,
    I understand what you are looking for -- the adapter is already built into the Kuehl barrel and all that would be needed is to change the bore and cut a new chamber and crown.  There could be a problem with the Hornady mach2 round and the Ciener unit. It seems that Hornady has discovered that semi-auto rifles built for 22's, even the hotter high speed one's, open a little too soon and a little too fast and Hornady has issued a statement that this round should not be used in any semi-auto rifle originally designed for 22's. Just putting in a heavier recoil spring won't cure the problem it's the weight of the 22 semi-auto bolts that are the real cause of the problem. Cartridges being ejected before the gas pressure in the chamber has dropped is one problem and very dangerous. Please check Hornady's web site for info on this round and semi-auto's.
I built a .17 Aguila upper based on the Ciener but I have a two stage match trigger with the lighter hammer spring and I believe I will need to go to the heavier standard hammer spring because I have noticed some case swelling even with the .17 Aguila round. The hammer sitting at the rear of the bolt adds a little extra restriction to the bolt moving rearward.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:59:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Anyone know if you can ream out a 5.56 barrel and put a .22LR barrel liner in it?  The reason I ask is that I have a neutered upper with a lightweight barrel that I kinda like, but want a .22 as well.  Can this be done to work with the Ceiner kit or should I just sell it and get something else?  

TIA
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 7:21:43 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Is there something wrong with the upper now?

No, there is no problem associated with Kuehl.  I am trying to get a precision rifle, and in the world of the 22lr, precision demands the use of subsonic ammo.  Although the rifle still works fairly well with this ammo, about 10% of the rounds don't cycle it properly.  Additionally, I've noticed that the bolt is shaving lead off the top round in the magazine, which is not going to help accuracy one bit!

While I'm sure I can start polishing, honing and tweaking the unit to work well, my other thought was to just convert the caliber to 17 Mach 2.  This would have the following advantages:

• These rounds are highly accurate at a slightly higher cost than the high end 22lr ammo I'm shooting.  I'm using Wolf Match Target at the moment.

• The bullets are copper jacket which will resist shaving

• The 17M2 has sufficient energy to cycle the action without all the work.  In fact, I'll more than likely need to add a stiffer spring and some mass to the bolt.

• The resulting rifle will shoot very flat with a bullet that is extremely destructive on small game.  In other words, this will become my preferred jackrabbit gun, with 30 round mags available.

• I'd be the first kid on my block in my zip code to have one!

ARFan,
Thanks for the heads up on the rounds.  I've been hanging out on www.rimfirecentral.com and they have plenty of good info there.  I might drop you a line to share ideas.

Anyone know if you can ream out a 5.56 barrel and put a .22LR barrel liner in it?

Yes.  This will help the functioning of the Ciener unit as it improves the gas seal.  I just don't know where to go.  The next step up would be a dedicated barrel that dispenses with the Ciener chamber adapter.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 4:33:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Ghost-Shooter,
    I had a barrel made up by American Manufacturing at  www.american-manufacture.com/ . The barrel was one of those pencil barrels and it shot great! Send them an e-mail about what you want, their prices are very good. Their e-mail address can be found on their web site.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top