Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/12/2004 6:16:11 AM EDT
What I have is a 5.56 M4gery. What I want to do is get a pistol caliber upper so I can shoot on my local pistol range with my carbine. the specs I want are,

1. A .40 caliber upper that locks the bolt open on the last round.

2. Magazines  that relase from the standard magazine relase button.

3. Lastly all parts can be removed to convert the lower back to 5.56.

What parts combo will do this for me?

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 12:04:35 PM EDT
[#1]
1. I think Oly arms is the only one that carries .40 cal uppers. Could be wrong, though.

2. Depends on what style mag block you get, which depends on whether you go with Oly style or "Colt" style.

3. Won't be a problem.

Check Olyarms website to see about their .40 cals, and I'm sure someone will be along shortly to either confirm or deny that they are the only ones that offer them. Once you get it narrowed down to what style you want, your other questions can be answered more easily.

Jake

Link Posted: 9/12/2004 3:18:32 PM EDT
[#2]
From a bit of reading it looks like the colt pattern is the only one that locks the bolt open on the last round. Is that correct? And with the ban going away colt 9mm mags will once again be avalible so I imagine they can be adapted to feed .40 so that may be an option.

Who makes a mag block that drops in from the top of the lower and allows you to use the actual mag release?

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 9/12/2004 10:25:34 PM EDT
[#3]

Oly has  different styles of magazines styles.  The below URL gives you information on some of them.

www.triplebreakproducts.com/Olympic/pistol_caliber_conversions.htm

Oly has a new style that uses unmodified factory Glock magazines with last round open.  It will only take Glock mags, so it is not for .223.

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 7:03:57 PM EDT
[#4]
^
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 11:15:24 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Oly has  different styles of magazines styles.  The below URL gives you information on some of them.

www.triplebreakproducts.com/Olympic/pistol_caliber_conversions.htm

Oly has a new style that uses unmodified factory Glock magazines with last round open.  It will only take Glock mags, so it is not for .223.

mark
[email protected]

Anyone have any idea if the Glock mag rifle will take a .40 LRM upper? That would be absolutely perfect for me!

ETA to add:
For that matter, is the Oly even out yet? I couldn't find that model on their website.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:19:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Bali, Oly's website has not been updated with the Glock AR info.

I ordered one, and Oly advised that it would ship within 1 week of my order date.  That was for a .40 cal flattop.

Budam says he has received these units and gives them high marks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:39:27 AM EDT
[#7]
What capacity are glock mags now avalible in?

IPSC_GUY
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:26:46 AM EDT
[#8]
glock 22 mags come in 15 round capacity, but you can add +2 extensions, too.  There are also 29 rounders by Scherer(sp?)  I'm thinking of doing the same set up with my AR and a 40 cal upper
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:36:14 AM EDT
[#9]
How are the Scherer(sp?)  magazines?

IPSC_GUY sends
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:40:37 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Anyone have any idea if the Glock mag rifle will take a .40 LRM upper? That would be absolutely perfect for me!

Yes, it will.  LRM just received a .40S&W Oly Glock rifle last week.  More will be going their way in the near future.  I would expect to see LEO to use this a lot.

This is a VERY new item from Oly, so I am not surprised that it is not on their website yet.

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:41:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What capacity are glock mags now avalible in?

9mm Glock magazines are 33
.40S&W from Scherer is 29.

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Scherer has 29/.40 and 33/9mm mags. I cannot speak to their quality, I have not used them. The only way to get a Colt style .40 is to have someone like KKF make one for you. I do not know what mags he uses.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 2:14:01 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a some .40 Scherer mags.  They are metal lined and actualy do work fine.  They are not as reliable as factory 15 rounders, but I have not given them a total workout either.  I am hoping that Scherer ramps up production of the 29 rounders with the new improvements found on the Glock mags.
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:25:54 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes, it will.  LRM just received a .40S&W Oly Glock rifle last week.  More will be going their way in the near future.  I would expect to see LEO to use this a lot.

This is a VERY new item from Oly, so I am not surprised that it is not on their website yet.

mark
[email protected]

sweeeeet!!
I'll have to get ahold of Oly and find out if it's possible to just get the lower. I also wanna hear from LRM how well it worked with their upper.
Ok, one more quick question, are the Glock lowers caliber specific, or interchangeble from 40 to 9? I only ask cuz it seems the glock mag bodies are the same dimensions IIRC.
Thanks again to all you guys sharing your valuable expertise.
Balisong
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Bali, Oly's website has not been updated with the Glock AR info.

I ordered one, and Oly advised that it would ship within 1 week of my order date.  That was for a .40 cal flattop.

Budam says he has received these units and gives them high marks.

Make sure to give us a range report when you get it Maddog!
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 12:31:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

mark
[email protected]

Hey Mark. I plan to get by and see LRM hopefully on thursday and check out the one that he has. Hopefully I can get some pics of it. Using the GLock mags is a very good idea. If it is everything I hope it is, I plan to buy one from you within the next month or so.

Did you ever find the contact info on that company selling the high cap glock mags that we talked about?

Shawn
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I'll have to get ahold of Oly and find out if it's possible to just get the lower. I also wanna hear from LRM how well it worked with their upper.
Ok, one more quick question, are the Glock lowers caliber specific, or interchangeble from 40 to 9? I only ask cuz it seems the glock mag bodies are the same dimensions IIRC.

LRM has a Olympic .40S&W Glock magazine rifle in and I am sure he will be working on it.

I believe that the lower can work with either .40S&W or 9mm, based upon my conversations.

They are not currently selling just the lower as the upper needs to be opened up a little around the bolt catch/last round open area.

mark
[email protected]
Link Posted: 9/21/2004 6:38:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Did you ever find the contact info on that company selling the high cap glock mags that we talked about?

Yep here it is:

Scherer
PO Box 250X
Ewing VA 24248
(423) 733-2615
F: (423) 733-2073

They have al sorts of GLock stuff.  lock 3.5 lb triggers, +2 extensions and various other magazines.  I would suggest asking for catalog.

Enjoy!

mark
[email protected]
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top